garnet80

Customs officers killed most of visit to USA

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just noticed that his passport was stamped with "sll no eos/cos" ... what does that mean for us? Is it safe to assume he is going to have a terrible time if he tries to return for two weeks in February?

He is allowed to stay until January 4th, 2010, after his one month stay (Dec 5-Jan 4) now. We want to book a two week trip for him mid to late February.

It just means No change of status/extension of status - so that is pretty straightforward.

As for the upcoming trip, no one can say if he will be hassled, but I would be surprised if he isn't flagged - but that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

(No Extension Of Status/Change Of Status/Adjustment Of Status)

I think it just means that he has to file for a visa while outside the country, I believe! I could be wrong. I think they will look at him a little harder upon future visits too, so just make sure he has a TON of ties to Canada...

Best of luck to you...

I just noticed that his passport was stamped with "sll no eos/cos" ... what does that mean for us? Is it safe to assume he is going to have a terrible time if he tries to return for two weeks in February?

He is allowed to stay until January 4th, 2010, after his one month stay (Dec 5-Jan 4) now. We want to book a two week trip for him mid to late February.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We always intended for him to file for the CR1 visa while home in Canada. It is not even a consideration to do anything but that.

A family member of his suggested we visit the local ICE office and see if they will extend the stay. Is this a good idea? If his stay was extended, we could get married since I don't really think he's going to have an easy time getting back in the country, and then he could go home as intended, and we would begin the CR1 visa...

I am so confused as to what is best. I'm scared they wont let him back in. We would never even consider illegal immigration, but of course, they don't know that. We just want to get married, but unfortunately can't do it within the one month they gave us.

Any advice? :(

2011.png

Timeline

Hey there, Just want to say that I'm really sorry for what's happened. How about, if I may suggest, you guys get married at city hall or something during this visit and then have a renewal of vows/party when all the immigration stuff is done?

I would really suggest it as with how long it's taking Montreal to schedule, you really want to get your paperwork in and stuff as soon as you can .

I wish you luck. And even if you wanted to do an AOS, (I know you said you aren't but I'm just saying) you can't now with this in his passport and in the system. It will be a little tougher for him to get in so... why not just get married now so you guys can start the process. Use this energy for that rather than using it to try and get his visit prolonged or getting one ready for February

Just my humble...

Good luck!

LGG

We always intended for him to file for the CR1 visa while home in Canada. It is not even a consideration to do anything but that.

A family member of his suggested we visit the local ICE office and see if they will extend the stay. Is this a good idea? If his stay was extended, we could get married since I don't really think he's going to have an easy time getting back in the country, and then he could go home as intended, and we would begin the CR1 visa...

I am so confused as to what is best. I'm scared they wont let him back in. We would never even consider illegal immigration, but of course, they don't know that. We just want to get married, but unfortunately can't do it within the one month they gave us.

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey there, Just want to say that I'm really sorry for what's happened. How about, if I may suggest, you guys get married at city hall or something during this visit and then have a renewal of vows/party when all the immigration stuff is done?

I would really suggest it as with how long it's taking Montreal to schedule, you really want to get your paperwork in and stuff as soon as you can .

I wish you luck. And even if you wanted to do an AOS, (I know you said you aren't but I'm just saying) you can't now with this in his passport and in the system. It will be a little tougher for him to get in so... why not just get married now so you guys can start the process. Use this energy for that rather than using it to try and get his visit prolonged or getting one ready for February

Just my humble...

Good luck!

LGG

Thank you. And we would love to do just that. Unfortunately due to finances, I am in the process of a divorce. It's been filed, paid for, but my court date isn't until january 8th. Just four days after they are making him leave... My ex and I have been separated and living apart for a couple of years. I only wish we could have gotten the divorce done sooner... or had some clue this would happen, then we would have booked the trip for later on!

2011.png

Timeline

Oh man, sorry garnet, I had no idea! So much for my unhelpful help, eh?

I feel like that sucks even more now. I hope someone answers your query about appealing the date they're making him leave -- I have nothing of value to add to that.

But I do wish you luck and I hope it all works out. Well, it will... it'll just be a little bit harder.

:)

You have lots of help on this board.

LGG

Just my humble...

Good luck!

LGG

Thank you. And we would love to do just that. Unfortunately due to finances, I am in the process of a divorce. It's been filed, paid for, but my court date isn't until january 8th. Just four days after they are making him leave... My ex and I have been separated and living apart for a couple of years. I only wish we could have gotten the divorce done sooner... or had some clue this would happen, then we would have booked the trip for later on!

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You can enter the US with the intent to marry. Many people do so when they have destination weddings. The only time it becomes a problem is if, after you marry, you don't intend to leave but you have not gone through the visa process. In effect, you are trying to bypass the immigration process and are entering the country with illegal intent.

Based on this, if they stated that at the POE that they intend to marry, and then return for the rest of the visa process they shouldn't have a problem, correct?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
nm - its already been discussed.

Of course it is - people go to Vegas to married all the time and they're not USC's and then they go back to their home country. or they get married in Hawaii because it's so beautiful

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Of course it is - people go to Vegas to married all the time and they're not USC's and then they go back to their home country. or they get married in Hawaii because it's so beautiful

yeah of course non-US citizens can get married in the US.. Lal wasn't disagreeing with that.. she was disagreeing with the fact the the person said that if one of the people is a US citizen they can't get married in the US without a visa... at least that is what I think she was disagreeing with ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

You can enter the US with the intent to marry. Many people do so when they have destination weddings. The only time it becomes a problem is if, after you marry, you don't intend to leave but you have not gone through the visa process. In effect, you are trying to bypass the immigration process and are entering the country with illegal intent.

Based on this, if they stated that at the POE that they intend to marry, and then return for the rest of the visa process they shouldn't have a problem, correct?

I wonder how many CPB officials would actually let someone in if you tell them exactly that "i am coming to marry my fiancee and will go right back home after that". I have my doubts.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

yeah of course non-US citizens can get married in the US.. Lal wasn't disagreeing with that.. she was disagreeing with the fact the the person said that if one of the people is a US citizen they can't get married in the US without a visa... at least that is what I think she was disagreeing with ..lol

you got it Marilyn.

Timeline

There is only one way to find out! Book an appointment at your local USCIS office and go and talk to them. Explain your situation and ask them what you can do. Good luck :thumbs:

I wonder how many CPB officials would actually let someone in if you tell them exactly that "i am coming to marry my fiancee and will go right back home after that". I have my doubts.

user raphael came from canada to get married and brought her own wedding invitation to the border and showed it to them. Her intent was to marry in the US and go back and file for a visa. Border agents denied her entry. That said, it is still legit to come to the US to get married.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

user raphael came from canada to get married and brought her own wedding invitation to the border and showed it to them. Her intent was to marry in the US and go back and file for a visa. Border agents denied her entry. That said, it is still legit to come to the US to get married.

Then why deny them at the POE? :unsure:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.