lgg

Couple of questions...

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I should mention, that another VJ member found bed bugs at the hotel! Others that are close by are only a few more minutes walking and probably a better value. If I were to go back to Mtl, i would NOT stay there again!

Ugh me either - it wasn't quite dirty, but not quite so good. Took a room that had a pullout couch for my daughter in the living area....she wouldn't even get undressed or fold out the couch - she just put the sheet over top the couch and slept that way. The room was cold even in Oct and the cable was crummy - we just wanted something to watch to keep us occupied the night before. The parking too is just weird....tiny little tight parking spots in a garage underneath the hotel. Don't bring a big SUV, you can barely drive into the garage.

Despite asking for a double or Queen...we got 2 single beds. I was so upset (prbably from stress about the impending interview) and they couldn't accomodate us in another room so we pushed the beds together.

No restaurant, but the little cafe next door had good croissant I think and coffee

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had doubles of all my "originals" Brought a few pics, letters. receipts of air travel to DC. brought it all in one of the legal size plastic 13 file accordion binders!! Worked out very well.

Ha! That's EXACTLY what I bought for my eventual interview. I haven't labeled all the sections yet, but I've certainly got some time before I have to get on that...

Actually, another question that Lgg may be asking herself (and us) shortly: what order do they take the CR-1 documents in? It would be good to have them filed in the exact order that they want them...

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I had doubles of all my "originals" Brought a few pics, letters. receipts of air travel to DC. brought it all in one of the legal size plastic 13 file accordion binders!! Worked out very well.

But Flames, did they ask you for any more originals?

As for the photos, let's see if anyone else has been asked for them - I have read a few reviews where they haven't - in fact this calls for a poll!!

We also stayed at Le Dauphin. http://hotelsdauphin.ca/montreal/Accueil/t...CA/Default.aspx

I'd say it was about 2-3 blocks from the consulate, which is nothing. Prices were reasonable I think. I'd recommend it for something cheap-ish, not over the top and close (and not as bad as La Tour... lol).

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

But Flames, did they ask you for any more originals?

As for the photos, let's see if anyone else has been asked for them - I have read a few reviews where they haven't - in fact this calls for a poll!!

Think the paperwork they sent out back in 2004 is different than now. It was worded like if you had not yet sent them in, to bring them to the interview! Well i do belive one sends everything in ahead if time--except the police cert, right?? (2004 was a long time ago,lol--my intereview was 5 yrs ago from tomorrow!!!) BUt I paid extra $$$ to have doubles, so even though I already sent them in, I had an extra set for me! As we know "the original" is a true original,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

yeah, I have a binder that I created for the interview. It has a replica of everything from 1-130 on, all of our approval notices and I'll bring a couple of copies of this new letter of appointment to interview, photos of us and our wedding, heaploads of ticket stubs, the ones with the border stamp on them mainly, letters from his family addressed to us. I guess the only thing I'd be needing would be another copy of my long form birth certificate. I already have an original police cert and our wedding certificate so. I guess maybe I'll just get it it's only like 17 dollars and British Columbia was very quick about getting it to me. may as well, just to be safe...

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Aww... shoosh, monkey!

Better to be more prepared than not enough!

ANd yes, if anyone else who's done the CR1 interview can say whether or not they asked for yet another round of originals. Most of the stuff I've read has been, they asked us a few questions but never asked to see anything else. I'll come prepared regardless but it'd be nice to know anyway.

its' not about the money or not wanting to, it's more about being a little petrified about carrying all those important documents around in duplicate and triplicate if that makes any sense...

:)

@ Mal

*pinch*

This didn't take long. :rofl:

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Wait...$17 for your birth certificate from B.C.?

I THINK you need to get the $50 one...the certified copy of the original...the one with your parents names, addresses etc. on it. That's the one I've been ordering (two, at this point). I'm not sure if the $17 one is the correct one.

I'd double check on that!

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Timeline

I took additional originals if I had them (like my police certificate, additional marriage certificate, etc.), but they only asked for copies. So that's what they got. The exceptions were items that we had sent copies of (e.g. passports) where they wanted to see the original (and obviously took my passport off me). I also took two additional sets of photos (of both of us, actually), but they didn't ask for them.

We stayed at Le Square Phillip. Nice hotel; about 2 blocks away; very expensive. But I wanted somewhere quiet and relaxing and all that, so we were prepared to pay extra for it.

Timeline

NO, you dont NEED another set of originals if you already sent them in! I was just being extra safe! We all know the govt likes to loose stuff!! so one does NOT need to go out and buy more, i just did to be safe. but one should photocopy everything u send in to Mtl---again just on the safe side!! you dont have to,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yep. It was accepted by the NVC as fine. It just has to list your parents names and places of birth on it. We never got an RFE for it and I can't think of any other one we would need. The only options when ordering it from BC was the short form or the long form. IT's full of security features too, like holograms and stuff like that. LIke money.

I can't imagine they'd want any other as on my form my B.C. requirement is listed as O=received and accepted as meeting post requirements.

Do let me know if you find anything else though...

I THINK you need to get the $50 one...the certified copy of the original...the one with your parents names, addresses etc. on it. That's the one I've been ordering (two, at this point). I'm not sure if the $17 one is the correct one.

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

That's so weird. I spent $50 each on my B.C. birth certificates... (I've bought two overall).

This is what I see on B.C. Vital Statistics website:

Certified Copy of a Birth Registration

To obtain a certified copy of a birth registration:

1. Ensure that you are eligible for a registration. Find out if you are eligible for a registration by clicking here

2. Paying a prescribed fee of $50. For a full schedule of our fees please click here

3. Apply to the Vital Statistics Agency by:

* Mailing a completed application form and cheque to the Vital Statistics Agency at PO BOX 9657 STN PROV GOVT, Victoria BC V8W 9P3

* Complete an application form and file it personally at your nearest Vital Statistics Office

* Order via Credit Card over the telephone.

Yep. It was accepted by the NVC as fine. It just has to list your parents names and places of birth on it. We never got an RFE for it and I can't think of any other one we would need. The only options when ordering it from BC was the short form or the long form. IT's full of security features too, like holograms and stuff like that. LIke money.

I can't imagine they'd want any other as on my form my B.C. requirement is listed as O=received and accepted as meeting post requirements.

Do let me know if you find anything else though...

Timeline

You know what, Wyatt? I think that they've changed something. I got my long form birth certificate last year, before we got married. It was 17 dollars. It's the long form with the security features on it. Both parent's name and place birth. AT that point, we were still able to get the wallet size too. I see know you're not. I think they upped the price for the exact same thing. I think I got in before the change of price. Now they're 27 for what I used.

my long form looks like the new long form...

Pic of B.C.

But I think you are talking about a certified Photo copy right?

B.C. Vital Stats

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.