muchogrande

Stopped at the border - visiting before CR-1 complete

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From reading everyone else's story on here, it looks like we were very, very fortunate that I got into the country at all. I just got back from visiting my husband in the US for 6 months, and although I got pulled in for 2ndry screening, the agent wasn't a jerk about it at all. (I flew from Edmonton and went thru US customs there.) He was actually only intensely interested in whether we really had filed an I-130 or not, and confirmed it in the system by looking up the case# from the correspondence I brought along. I don't remember exactly the questions I was asked, as it was back in May, but they seemed fair, and I tried to answer them as accurately as I could. Seeing other people's story here, makes me wonder that my visit wasn't drastically shortened, let alone approved. :blink:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
From reading everyone else's story on here, it looks like we were very, very fortunate that I got into the country at all. I just got back from visiting my husband in the US for 6 months, and although I got pulled in for 2ndry screening, the agent wasn't a jerk about it at all. (I flew from Edmonton and went thru US customs there.) He was actually only intensely interested in whether we really had filed an I-130 or not, and confirmed it in the system by looking up the case# from the correspondence I brought along. I don't remember exactly the questions I was asked, as it was back in May, but they seemed fair, and I tried to answer them as accurately as I could. Seeing other people's story here, makes me wonder that my visit wasn't drastically shortened, let alone approved. :blink:

I don't mean to make it sound like all border officers are jerks because they're not it's only that one in a hundred person that shouldn't be in any position of authority that we and others that I've read run into on occasion that can make crossing the border to visit an awful affair. I just came back from Ottawa and didn't get any hassle even with a bunch of gifts and stuff haphazardly thrown in the back of the car. Just the usual questions that you know the only reason they're asking is to see if you're BSing them about something. I got through in just a couple minutes and the last couple times that's been the case.

Filed: Timeline

Wow. Ok, well I am really starting to think the customs officer actually doesnt even know the law. She told us that the embassy should have informed us that the law stated my wife was NOT allowed to come into the US while the visa was in process, PERIOD. Man, that is really upsetting to find out. I thought she was wrong, but had no evidence to back it up. I wish we'd flown from Edmonton, or anywhere else for that matter. YVR definitely has a reputation for problems with US immigration, and personally, that reputation has been set in concrete for me. I recommend anyone considering passing through there to avoid it.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow. Ok, well I am really starting to think the customs officer actually doesnt even know the law. She told us that the embassy should have informed us that the law stated my wife was NOT allowed to come into the US while the visa was in process, PERIOD. Man, that is really upsetting to find out. I thought she was wrong, but had no evidence to back it up. I wish we'd flown from Edmonton, or anywhere else for that matter. YVR definitely has a reputation for problems with US immigration, and personally, that reputation has been set in concrete for me. I recommend anyone considering passing through there to avoid it.

There is definitely a difference between POEs. Alexandria Bay can be real "hardasses" with non-US citizens.

Timeline
I'm happy to hear that you and your wife haven't had too much of a hassle, that's a good thing!

Just wanted to say that while Canadians don't need a stamp in their passport and they don't generally get an I-94, there is only one reason why that is in place. It's an honesty system - pure and simple. As you know, we extend that same courtesy to U.S. citizens and PRs.

So, is that an open invitation for people to stay in either country? No it's not, there are laws to be followed. Also, I'm sure a person would have been happy to have not overstayed if they ever decide to apply to immigrate to either country and don't have the added worry of having to claim that they did overstay - because of course we have to list all visits.

Yes, you are correct it was not an open invitation to stay, I was just happy they didnt have to stamp it, because i didnt want a time limit as she was only staying a week and i didnt want them to make her come back any earlier. There are LAWS and she has never overstayed because of laws on being banned and everything else in between. I was simply stating the difference in POE's. I dont know If its in their trainning or what not because they all have no problems letting us thru. Maybe because of all the canadians going thru but never any real concerns on this side. Also its always driving never on plane so that could also be more of a concern. And they may also take into consideration that its a lower traveled boarder than say a NY or somewhere else of higher risk or what not.

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage :

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-07

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-14

I-130 Approved : 2009-06-12

Receive IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Pay IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-08-28

Case Completed at NVC :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received : 2009-12-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-10

Interview Date : 2010-01-06 Submit Review

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 59 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 267 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
There is definitely a difference between POEs. Alexandria Bay can be real "hardasses" with non-US citizens.

I have crossed at Alexandria Bay many times and have never had an issue. I crossed there at the end of Nov and asked to stay for approx 3 months and explained that we were in the final stages of the K1, that I still had ties to Canada (brought my bills and mortgage papers with me...which they looked at). They had a look at what I was bringing with me ( I had some household goods, but had a very good explanation for why I was bringing them). I chit chatted with the border gaurd for a while and was on my way. I was questioned way more when I flew to the US and went thru customs at the Ottawa airport.

You know, I'm now convinced it's totally dependent on the border guard. After a couple of slightly tense crossings in October and November (the first being grilled in the Nexus lane at Peace Arch, the second being grilled / having bags gone through at the Peace Bridge), I had NO problems in my last two crossings from December 24th and January 2nd -- the first of which was in the Nexus lane at Peace Arch, going down to pick up my wife in Seattle. The guard was nice...just asked about where I was in the immigration process etc. then waved me through. Then yesterday my wife and I went through the Aldergrove crossing (which is a much smaller crossing into Washington State, though slightly closer to where I'm currently living), and we couldn't have had a more pleasant guard. The guard joked with my wife, "You've had enough of him, huh?", causing her to banter back and forth with him a little bit before he waved us through.

I'm hopeful that this will be my last crossing into the U.S. before actual post-CR-1 POE...but if I don't get an interview date assigned in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to fly down regardless and not worry about the border. You really can't, you know. Just have some supporting documents, be polite and honest, and just go on down.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

It also depends on how YOU act and present yourself. You may unknowingly be giving off signals that something just isn't right! Or the tone of ur voice may be rude, sound worried, etc etc. As I mentioned in another thread, they are trained in trying to find people lying. They only have that brief encounter to make decision to allow you to pass or pass u along to secondary.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.