Peachey

Holiday Recipe Thread

131 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
My list is:

Banana pudding (with the vanilla wafers/bananas in it)

Pumpkin muffins

Peanut butter blossom cookies

Pumpkin spice bars

Chocolate-mint chip cookies

Ummmm.... can I please get those recipes? :)

Rhi, my mother didn't cook at all - let alone bake at Christmas. :( I was lucky to have two grandmothers that loved to cook/bake.

If it makes you feel any better, my Mum didn't bake either. :( She cooked sometimes, though. lol

iagree.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, at least I'm not the only one that suffered the fate of non baking mothers.

It's sad to not have goodies during the holidays.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My list is:

Banana pudding (with the vanilla wafers/bananas in it)

http://mywoodenspoon.com/2008/05/16/grandm...banana-pudding/

Pumpkin muffins

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Pumpkin-...ins/Detail.aspx

Peanut butter blossom cookies

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/p...10-82abbece7ce5

Pumpkin spice bars

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/h...7e-b931cfcb159a

Chocolate-mint chip cookies

Just using a chocolate chip recipe here but instead of plain chocolate chips, they're mint chocolate chips. :D

Ummmm.... can I please get those recipes? :)

Rhi, my mother didn't cook at all - let alone bake at Christmas. :( I was lucky to have two grandmothers that loved to cook/bake.

If it makes you feel any better, my Mum didn't bake either. :( She cooked sometimes, though. lol

You betcha. :D

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

last Christmas I searched high and low for dipping wafers.. I couldn't find them anywhere I finally found them at Micheal's but they cost 3 bucks for a little bag..

back in Chilliwack I went to Save-On or Superstore and they had them there in bulk for a lot cheaper :P ....

Full-MilkWafers-1.jpg

In america, it will be cheaper to buy what is called "Almond Bark".. they have milk chocolate and white chocolate.. they come in a big brick. http://www.budgetbarbie.com/2007/08/what-is-almond-bark.html

post-64098-1259815988_thumb.jpg

April 30th 09: Verification that I-129F was delivered to CSC!

May 12th 09: NOA1!

May 15th 09: Check cashed

Aug 13th 09: *NOA2!*

Aug 18th 09: Received NOA2 Hardcopy

Aug 21st 09: NVC Received

Aug 24th 09: NVC Approved!

Aug 27th 09: London received

Sep 11th 09: Packet 3 received

Nov 10th 09: Mailed packet 3.

Nov 12th 09: Packet 3 delivered.

Nov 17th 09: Medical

Dec 7th 09: Interview Scheduled.

Dec 17th 09: Interview Approved!

Dec 30th 09: Visa Printed!

Jan 6th 10: POE Dallas!

Feb 6th 10: Wedding!

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
last Christmas I searched high and low for dipping wafers.. I couldn't find them anywhere I finally found them at Micheal's but they cost 3 bucks for a little bag..

back in Chilliwack I went to Save-On or Superstore and they had them there in bulk for a lot cheaper :P ....

Full-MilkWafers-1.jpg

In america, it will be cheaper to buy what is called "Almond Bark".. they have milk chocolate and white chocolate.. they come in a big brick. http://www.budgetbarbie.com/2007/08/what-is-almond-bark.html

post-64098-1259815988_thumb.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen it but I will look next time I am in a store.. thanks for the tip... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found the recipe I was looking for among my Mom's recipes:

Nana's Shorbread

1 lb butter

1 cup icing sugar

4 cups flour

1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Knead shortbread until smooth. Shape into 5 large round balls, then press down until 1" in height. Score rims of patties with fork tines. Bake in 350 F oven for 25 minutes.

This was the traditional Scottish way of baking shortbread. You would then break off pieces from the larger patty. They keep really well (if you can keep yourself from eating them!)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I'm going to make Nana's shortbread, Kathryn! Thank you. :)

I just finished making a ton of almond cookies. (The Walnut Cookie Recipe ) Ohmygosh, I love them! I got through 72 of them and then froze the rest of the dough until I feel like making them again. Or until my husband cleans me out. He couldn't stop eating them. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I am always astounded when I see the raw ingredients for cookies - a pound of butter :lol: - I feel better when I just eat the cookies and don't have to look at the ingredients.

Timeline

Yeah but cookies are so easy to eat, especially shortbread, that butter just melts in your mouth - they are pretty much my Husband's favorite cookie, I may have to make those too

I hope everyone is going to take pictures and post them here, of the finished products?

ShortbreadCookies_001.jpg

Edited by trailmix

I want to bake this year.

I have some good looking recipes in a book I got at my engagement party earlier this year, so I think I'll make some of those.

Raspberry Coconut cookies anyone? :lol:

But I will be making classic shortbread.

It's my all time favourite.

And probably some soft chocolate chip ones. (Maybe even triple chocolate ones)

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have scraped the Teddy s'more bark from my baking list and instead I am going to make my own chocolates.. I bought the dipping wafers form Michael's.. they actually were on sale for 2 bucks a bag :thumbs: and then I am going to buy stuff like Rice Krispies, pretzels and dried cranberries etc. to add to the melted chocolate... I bought some inexpensive mini foil liners to make the chocolates in..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good find about the melting wafers at Michaels - I'll go there. I'm making buttertart squares, nanaimo bars, cherry surprises, Nana's shortbread and I want to try those cake balls dipped in chocolate - I think I will try using a spice cake mix.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I have scraped the Teddy s'more bark from my baking list and instead I am going to make my own chocolates.. I bought the dipping wafers form Michael's.. they actually were on sale for 2 bucks a bag :thumbs: and then I am going to buy stuff like Rice Krispies, pretzels and dried cranberries etc. to add to the melted chocolate... I bought some inexpensive mini foil liners to make the chocolates in..

Plus you can use the $10 coupon inside the Rice Krispies box to buy board games!! :dance: But if you don't want it, I'll take it. lol

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.