martin77

Uk Embassy, Letter of intent notarization

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have an interview coming up next week at the US embassy in London and im trying to establish if I need my letters of intent from me and my fiancee notarized. When I applied for my interview i was within the 4 month period of my NOAT but my interview has been scheduled a couple days after the 4 month period. Thanks for any help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As far as I know, the four month period is from the start of your approval notice, not the expiration date. (This is how I understood it, anyways) I don't know how important a couple of days are at the interview---someone else might be able to give you a more definite answer though.

I'm very paranoid, and want to avoid any possibility that the embassy will need additional evidance from me in order to approve my visa, so I would get them notarized. Just as a little warning, it'll cost between £30 - £75 depending on where you get your letter notarized in the UK, sp be prepared to have to pay out a bit there. Mine notarized my letter of intent for £30, but I have read of people paying a lot more. I'd be a little concerned whether anything posted from the US would actually make it in time for the interview though, so you'll need to consider that when getting your fiance's notarized letter. My fiance posted forms to me last week, and they've still not arrived.

Edited by FrostyMist

I have an interview coming up next week at the US embassy in London and im trying to establish if I need my letters of intent from me and my fiancee notarized. When I applied for my interview i was within the 4 month period of my NOAT but my interview has been scheduled a couple days after the 4 month period. Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't worry about the letter of intent. If you started sending in your paperwork within the validity, then the time it takes London to respond and give you an appointment doesn't really count. From what I understand, that is more often wanted in a country with a couple who doesn't speak the same language, maybe met once for 2 weeks and got engaged at the same time, then maybe there was a long delay when they didn't respond to sending in embassy paperwork for 6 months and the girl shows up pregnant but hasn't seen the fiance in 10 months :whistle: So the embassy might doubt if the USC is still interested in this marriage and wants it confirmed.

As has been stated many, many times in this forum....London does not ask for any relationship evidence or loving photos or letters of your undying committment. Just show up with the important stuff like the Long Form birth certificate, all the papers required from the checklist, and some good solid Affidavit of Support evidence. Then be prepared to have a friendly chat about your fiance. How did you meet, what does he do, what kind of plans do you have for a wedding, how many times have you visitied each other. They are just going over the things written on the petition to make sure you actually know this person. Be natural. I know a guy who when asked "how many times have you been to see your fiance?" answered "I dunno, LOTS." It was a normal candid answer and was fine and probably sounded better than a robotic memorized, "I've been 13 times and she came here 8." Go back to the London P3 instruction webpage and read every word, and every link of what they want you to bring. It is all spelled out.

Save your money and skip the notary. You're going to need $1010 to file for AOS in a few months.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.