The_Sage1

How many couples here met over the internet?

68 posts in this topic

Hassan and I met online too. I thought it was easier to get to know someone this way, but these are only my thoughts. ;)

I agree completely. In our case, we were able to have little 'characters' that are 100% customisable that you make walk around, sit, dance, swim, fly, you name it. Your character really does become an extension of you and so it was really cool to be able to sit both your characters down somewhere and see 'you' having a cuddle or dancing with your friends. Makes it feel as real as it can possibly be considering the geographical distance.

You communicate either through a mic or by typing, like an instant message except you can choose if you write so that everyone around you can read or keep it private. When all you really have to get to know each other is words, you share more of yourself and in a very different way. You control just how much you do share, and although yes, lots of people are not 100% honest about who or what they are (can't begin to tell you how many 'couples' I've met where one found out several months down the line that the other is actually married with kids) most people have the wherewithall to listen to that instinctive warning sign that all is not as it should be.

The best part about meeting someone online is when you do finally meet face to face, getting to experience all their quirky personality traits that you couldn't before. I still, more than 2 years since our first meeting and 42 weeks' worth of time spent physically together, love to see that first smile on his face and bury my nose in his neck while we hug hello again to get that delicious smell that is him. And OMG, I can't wait to see him again! lol...

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

The really hard part for us about meeting on SL...and I am sure this probably relays to a lot of people meeting on different online sites, is trying to explain it to people. People who have never experienced "places" like SL or WoW, for example, have no idea how you can meet, enjoy the company of, or fall in love with someone online. Many times I was accused of being in love with a cartoon character, not the person behind the avatar.

When we had a wedding ceremony in SL, that was a whole NEW level of explaination. We finally gave up explaining it. We just say, we met online...and leave it at that. We still get the "evil eye" from people just finding out...but we can only say, you can't understand, unless you have been to SL.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

I totally agree Blu. We got married in SL and some people when they found out about it raised eyebrows like I had sprouted a second head or something. So we just say yes we met online, easier then trying to explain to whole SL thing to the uninitiated.

Sundrop - I agree with what you said about sharing more about yourself online...while in world I was very open about who I was. Never lied about my personal circumstance but that said I didnt proclaim it either if that makes sense. My time prior to meeting Eric in SL was a healing process for me as I was dealing with a marital breakdown and it was my release from the stress going on around me. Even now it astounds me the creativity that happens in there. I have not logged in for a long time now, I cant say I miss much in there because the most important person is all that matters.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Those of us who met our SOs in SL (Second Life) are also up against the barrage of very negative press attention that it attracted about 18 months ago, labelling it as nothing more than some sordid virtual cybering site. Therefore, anyone who isn't into SL but has heard about it through the media often wrongly assumes that you have some obscure sexual kink! lol Even if you did, it's none of their business but if you met your SO conventionally, then nobody in your immediate entourage is going to suspect that you have a kink.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my assignments for nursing school was to create a SL char and explore various health-related places. Albeit, I may or may not have been a little skeptical. And my husband would not stop commenting about furries. ;)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

If it makes you feel any better, one of my assignments for nursing school was to create a SL char and explore various health-related places. Albeit, I may or may not have been a little skeptical. And my husband would not stop commenting about furries. ;)

No comment on furries... lol. Or nekkos. I'm friends with several but just isn't my cup of tea. But that's what I love about SL, who cares?! It's not like any of us actually come close to looking like our avies and that's half the fun. I love that I can choose to wear absolutely anything I like and look good in it. lol

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

No comment on furries... lol. Or nekkos. I'm friends with several but just isn't my cup of tea. But that's what I love about SL, who cares?! It's not like any of us actually come close to looking like our avies and that's half the fun. I love that I can choose to wear absolutely anything I like and look good in it. lol

LOL Nekkos were just not my thing either...kinda freaky but then again there is lot of 'freaky' in SL.

Being able to wear anything & look sensational in it..was always an added bonus...SL is a wonderful place to explore all manners of things. I loved exploring more then anything..going to the Eiffel Tower, shopping in London, visiting Egypt..all wonderful memories.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Okay, I was doing a search for American Semiconductor, found it, but accidentally opened American Singles. After a terrible divorce, lost interest in women. Had a three month trial for ten bucks, what the heck, posted my photo, a brief description of myself and literally got thousands of hits.

Yeah, people trying to sell me vacuum cleaners, gold diggers, a ton of young girls from Russia, either 13 year old high school boys having fun, or some big fat slob computer nerd swiping a photo of a good looking girl, got disgusted of it. Lots of women that were divorced with good alimony just wanted sex. Couldn't go with that I was paying alimony, but really didn't care or know if my ex was having sex or not, anyway, not my bag.

Wasn't going to renew, but within the last week was hot listed by this Venezuela woman, first I ignored it as heard Latin American women are hot headed and throw things, don't need that. But just something about her told me to respond. Learned she couldn't message me because Singles would not accept a Venezuelan credit card. And it was her boss that encouraged her to post her photo, this was at an American based company in Venezuela. So I responded and we exchanged e-mail addresses. She didn't know if I was real, and I didn't know if she was real either, lots of liars on this boards. She was real, for the next nine months, we had many webcam discussions, and phone calls and really got to know each other, plus exchanged many photos. They say if you don't meet a person in 30 days, your relationship will end. Friday night was her bowling night, she quit that so we could chat. She cared very much for her kids like I did and her ex was just like mine, we had a lot in common. When her computer crashed, told her how to set it up so I would have remote control, found all the problems and fixed them for her, she thought I was some kind of genius.

We developed an extreme platonic relationship and I even became friends with her boss and her kids over the net, after about nine months of this stuff, said, I think it's time for us to meet. I either could go down there or she up here, since she worked for an American company had no problem in getting a US visa, I sent her a plane ticket and agreed to pick her up at O'Hare.

She was frightened that I wouldn't like her, said that doesn't make any difference, we are very good friends, I did bring my dog along as an ice breaker. I couldn't find her at O'Hare, didn't realize she was so short, but she found me again. Did tell her was going to greet her with a big kiss, but never did that, was a madhouse, so just wanted to get out of there. My dog wouldn't let her in the car, big German Shepherd, told him this is my friend and it was love at first site between Connie and my dog. We headed north and stopped at the WI rest station after talking in person for two hours. I leaned over to kiss her, she responded, it was pure magic.

After spending three of the most wonderful days together, I asked her to marry me, before I could even finish, she said yes, I finally believed in finding your soulmate. So strange, we knew everything about each other even before anything physical occurred between us. After very quick week of being together, had to take her back and felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest when she left. Started immigration, we never let three months go by without seeing each other, 13 months later, USCIS really takes their time, we got married.

In our relationship, we never argued nor was jealous for any reason, been married 5 1/2 years now. I did meet her mother before we got married, she also loved me, even wanted to sell one of her apartments to help us, but said we don't need that. She knew her daughter found her man. We are really a team and worked together with the USCIS and finally finished last year with her USC, and that magic is stronger than ever when we embrace. For me, she is one in a billion.

We are still trying to clear her assets in Venezuela and trying to bring her son here, we also have developed a strong relationship. Kind of grown a strong dislike for Chavez and even for the DOS and the USCIS. Family does not come first.

• 3 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I find this an old forum, but I would like to ask you all a question if you met your spouse online. Did you have to prove at the interview that you were talking to each other online? I met my husband online and are going to have an interview for freen card soon, but we don't have messages before three months before we got married because we got into a huge fight and deleted old messages. I do have some comments from 2010 on my husband's myspace profie, but other than that the only proof we met online and developed our relationship online is my diary. Can diary be a good proof? It has dates and explains what we did or what we talked about or what we fought about and stuff. Or should I not be worried about proof in the first place?