MapleLeafBaby

Holiday Hoopla...the good, the bad and the ugly...share stories, ideas, recipes etc

243 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Personally? I'd take the lists into consideration and give from my heart and within my budget. You can start a new tradition.

This is what we did when I was growing up and Joe and I do today. We create lists of things we would like and have a wide variety of price ranges on them but there is never the requirement to get any and definitely not every thing on the list. It is a way of getting ideas about what the person might like and sizes, if relevant, so you don't end up getting something they want to return or discard or regift you next year!

I often made gifts for friends and family as well because for many years of my life finances were tight. You can get very creative when you make things and they were always appreciated, because they definitely came from the heart. It truly is the thought that counts - and anyone who doesn't get that, well, I just feel very sorry for them.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're getting our tree this weekend, and getting all the Christmas stuff out of the attic! Will be a busy weekend...everytime we get this stuff out, we're amazed at how much we have!

carlahmsb4.gif

This Christmas will be different for me and my husband. With me not working (aka no EAD yet) things will be alot tighter this year and have already told family no gifts. They told me well I'm still going to get you something, list or not! I feel guilty for getting stuff from them and I'm not able to reciprocate. I mean at the very least a x mas card or something. I feel ESP guilty after all our parents did for the wedding, the time, $$ and travel it took.

I guess I'm just rambling and venting. Next Christmas my husband plans to spend with his family in GA. I haven't a problem with it, it's been 5 years since he was hone for Xmas cuz of the military. I just don't know how I am going to get time off @ christmas when I start working to be able to go with him.

Anyways, we put up the tree we had from 2 years ago, slowly adding a " special" ornament every year. We couldn't find the tree stand that came with the tree! Went to get another plastic one........ well our tree looks like our wedding cake......the leaning tower of Pisa......LOL

We will get a bigger/new tree next year... LOL

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

We bought a tree this week and just put it up today....it's huge and I love it :)

We found this pet device that sprays an air mist when the cat approaches the tree...so we're hoping it'll help with him chewing on the tree and then getting sick...hopefully he doesn't become used to it, and then it doesn't phase him anymore...I guess time will tell...i'll keep you all posted lol

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

It was the hardest year yet in terms of shopping for my son. Presents get more expensive as they get older.

He gave me a list of all the item numbers of legos he wanted and then proceeded to tell me that if I got all of these legos it would only be: "458.54 not including applicable taxes" yes he said: "applicable taxes" :lol:

Everyone else is getting him lego sets, so I did not. I think he's getting like 5... he doesn't need more than that. In fact I am a little peeved by how many people have chosen to get him legos because I'm the one who steps on them, I'm the one who has to fish them out of the vacuum. <_<

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pondering whether or not to even bother with a tree this year. There really isn't anywhere to put it, I could put up the 'smaller' tree version I guess - don't know.

Stepping on lego hurts.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Also I'd like to add that I usually do my Christmas shopping a week before Christmas only. My reason? I suck at keeping secrets and usually end up blurting out what I got someone.. :lol:

I get so excited about what I buy for people that it's reallllllly hard for me to not say anything at all, so I adapted and just shopped a week before the big day so the wait wouldn't be so long.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I'm pondering whether or not to even bother with a tree this year. There really isn't anywhere to put it, I could put up the 'smaller' tree version I guess - don't know.

Stepping on lego hurts.

Put up a tree! I love Christmas trees.

The only thing I hate is taking them down. Why can't we just leave them up all year? They're so festive and fun!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Canadian Tire has "half" trees - so you can put it flush up against the wall.

My mother wanted to get one of these.

This is weird I had a weird dream about Christmas trees last night and this thread is making me remember it just slightly. Sucks!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

16 More days until Christmas!!!

I hate that I have to keep all these pesky present secrets! It's so hard! Last night I gave my husband one of his presents and said: "Shake it! Guess what it is! Come on! Guess!"

:lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

16 More days until Christmas!!!

I hate that I have to keep all these pesky present secrets! It's so hard! Last night I gave my husband one of his presents and said: "Shake it! Guess what it is! Come on! Guess!"

:lol:

OMG 17 days until I move.

I better get moving on getting rid of my furniture!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.