MapleLeafBaby

Holiday Hoopla...the good, the bad and the ugly...share stories, ideas, recipes etc

243 posts in this topic

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I really dislike the way my husbands family celebrates Christmas... they give eachother lists and everyone gets what is exactly on their list. You can't sway from the list and perhaps buy them something from the heart, you MUST stick to the list.

This year everything on the lists are expensive. His mother has given us the list for her, her husband and my husbands brother and everything is over or close to 100.00. Times that by 3 and you have a pricey Christmas.

I suggested to my husband that we make gifts, like cookie mixes or hot cocoa mixes in jars and get baskets to put them in. I said we could make a really nice basket for everyone for under 50.00 per person. He said that we can't do that because they'll take it the wrong way. Wrong way? What the hell??

I say if you want those expensive items, then go buy them yourself, you'll take what I give you or I won't bother buying for you anymore.

*bearhugs Sprailenes* Im sorry to hear that hun. I feel very similarly about how my husband perceives Christmas. In his family, they give about 50 dollar gifts to everyone in the nuclear family and one person (for each of us) they pick for Secret Santa. I told him that this year, we bought a house and live in a one income household and just cant afford that much money... PLUS I dont want to spend that much for the WIL :lol: I suggested the same thing as you did, which is make Christmas presents instead -- recipe books or like a basket of yummies, but he says thats just too weird. In my family, we dont give presents as the holidays is really foor food and being together... and I tried to explain to him that his family should understand that we dont have that kind of money lying around, etc.

But anyway I just have to bite my tongue and respect his traditions. I think I will do the shopping and try to find something that looks like 50 dollars, but not really 50 dollars. It sucks and its soooo expensive, but this is just something I have to do for him :(

Goodluck with yours Sprailenes. Maybe some of the gifts can be bought online for cheap... like from overstock.com or something!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Oh Sprailenes *hug* I know how you feel. My dad is the exact same way :(

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we decided a few years ago to not buy gifts for the adults.. we just buy gifts for our nieces and nephews...

it gets too expensive to buy something for everyone :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
He was telling some of his patients, and they started to give him slack for not saving the trees :( lol....

Trees are a renewable resource. To be grown, harvested, used.

I never understand why someone wants to 'save a tree' when it's not a old redwood (ya, those I understand for saving )

Getting a real tree is fun - and is fun all season inside the house - the special smell always reminds you, is Christmas.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The thing is, I would never give someone a list and expect stuff and if I made a list I wouldn't ask for things that are out of my own price range and expect someone else to foot the bill. But again different strokes for different folks.

It's just frustrating because she sends us these lists and we're like: "That's a little too expensive"

They kind of make me hate Christmas. :(

And I'm usually a really festive person, but I have a child, I think about him on Christmas... and my mom. I'm the only one who buys for her.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Varba's family makes me do a list by September usually...

So I get creative with mine. What do they do? Put GIFT CARDS on their list. Why don't we just give them moneY? Like c'mon.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The thing is, I would never give someone a list and expect stuff and if I made a list I wouldn't ask for things that are out of my own price range and expect someone else to foot the bill. But again different strokes for different folks.

It's just frustrating because she sends us these lists and we're like: "That's a little too expensive"

They kind of make me hate Christmas. :(

And I'm usually a really festive person, but I have a child, I think about him on Christmas... and my mom. I'm the only one who buys for her.

I agree! I would never expect any of his cousins who are still in school to give me something worth 50 dollars you know -- I mean, its not like we are all in the prime of our careers and can afford bubblies instead of cheap wine :P So I kind of wish they dont expect me to do the same thing :P

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Timeline

I asked my husband if I could tell his family not to get me any gifts this year but to donate something to the charity of their choice..... even if that "charity" is themselves. I honestly don't need anything. I especially don't want people trying to come up with something to give me if they can't afford to do it..... plus it will cut down on their stress level. He told me his family wouldn't understand and would be offended by that. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline
I asked my husband if I could tell his family not to get me any gifts this year but to donate something to the charity of their choice..... even if that "charity" is themselves. I honestly don't need anything. I especially don't want people trying to come up with something to give me if they can't afford to do it..... plus it will cut down on their stress level. He told me his family wouldn't understand and would be offended by that. :(

Can I be your charity plz???? :luv:

Edited by Chica Yeyé

A few nights ago I asked Varba if we could not do presents next year with hsi family since it's so complicated. he also said they would be offended.

I fail to see why we need presents. As an adult, if I need something, I go buy it. If I want something, I save up for it and then buy it.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sprailenes - We do lists in our house but you dont always get whats on the list, and I would never ever get offended by cookie baskets. Cookies are yummy. My grandma use to give us HUGE tupperware containers filled with canned and boxed goods. Her idea was the same "one less meal to worry about" but the difference was, every family got a box, and it wasnt based on your finances, it was based on her genuine belief that a full belly is the best gift to give (and I loved her for it). To do the same thing from the angle of being poor...ugh. Its one thing that pisses me off about my future SIL as well. We have to budget and plan. We aren't poor but we could be if we just went crazy on stuff without planning sometimes, and she will just come up with crazy retarded ideas and then get offended when you tell her that shes the one who is going to have to pay for it then. Shes in school so she doesnt see herself as having to contribute to the money for her stupid gift schemes but she doesn't get (much like my sister doesn't) just because you have money doesnt mean you can waste it.

For Wes this year I think he will be surprised. His family does holiday dinners and things but he very very rarely has ever gotten a gift. Usually its just gift cards for like 5-10 bucks. Even for his Bday hes not use to getting anything. Its not about HAVING to get anything, I just love giving stuff to people that I know they will like and seeing their faces light up. This year my parents are leaving our tree up longer so that when he flies up for the move he will have his own little spot under the tree. Last year they got him chocolates and he was astounded that they would think of him at all. This year I think he will be super surprised and I can't wait :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.