MapleLeafBaby

Holiday Hoopla...the good, the bad and the ugly...share stories, ideas, recipes etc

243 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well tonight is the hoopla part of the holidays... :P Going over to the in-laws for their annual holiday party. I brought some Keiths back from Canada yesterday and I think they'll enjoy it. Also brought some Wayne Gretzky wine for the gift exchange. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Have fun! I didn't even know there was such a thing as Wayne Gretzky wine!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Have fun! I didn't even know there was such a thing as Wayne Gretzky wine!

http://www.gretzky.com/wine/

:lol: There it is!

It's not amazing or anything. My favorite wine to come out of the Niagara area is Chateau Des Charmes but I bought the Gretzky wine for the "tee hee" factor. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

My favourite wine comes from the Muskoka area.

Sadly, it's only avaliable in that area as well unless you buy it online.

Time to time LCBO buys a case, I've only gotten one bottle in lower Ontario. (For my wedding night :P)

They make some interesting wines.

cranberry.ca is where you can take a look at them.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
http://www.gretzky.com/wine/

:lol: There it is!

It's not amazing or anything. My favorite wine to come out of the Niagara area is Chateau Des Charmes but I bought the Gretzky wine for the "tee hee" factor. :P

Oh Oh Oh, I LOVE Chateau Des Charmes! I have looked for it here knowing that it is virtually impossible that it would be here but hoping, all the same. I have toured the winery, and I always had some of their wines in stock when I lived still in Canada. Their wines are some of the absolute best, not only in Canada but in the world. I remember the first time their Nouveau Beaujolais beat out all of the French Wines in the Annual taste testing and amazed the wine world.

Here in Georgia, we have discovered some superb wines at Habersham wineries. I don't know if their wines are available outside of Georgia, but they are also superb.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline
Oh Oh Oh, I LOVE Chateau Des Charmes! I have looked for it here knowing that it is virtually impossible that it would be here but hoping, all the same. I have toured the winery, and I always had some of their wines in stock when I lived still in Canada. Their wines are some of the absolute best, not only in Canada but in the world. I remember the first time their Nouveau Beaujolais beat out all of the French Wines in the Annual taste testing and amazed the wine world.

Here in Georgia, we have discovered some superb wines at Habersham wineries. I don't know if their wines are available outside of Georgia, but they are also superb.

Well I will for sure check out Habersham. Even if it's not available outside of Georgia, it's probably available online somewhere.

Chateau Des Charmes is one of my absolute favorites! I introduced my husbands family to their ice wines a few years ago and they too have fallen in love with it. I never got to go on the tour but I bet it was beautiful!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Well I will for sure check out Habersham. Even if it's not available outside of Georgia, it's probably available online somewhere.

Chateau Des Charmes is one of my absolute favorites! I introduced my husbands family to their ice wines a few years ago and they too have fallen in love with it. I never got to go on the tour but I bet it was beautiful!

Interestingly, Brights Wines had the best tour - old vintage vats, lovely buildings, wine tasting room etc although their wines are not that great. The Chateau Des Charmes winery was smaller, modern, pristine and efficient. It wasn't beautiful, but you could gain a real understanding of how well they knew their craft and how seriously they worked at it - right to the direction of sunlight hitting the wines and on which directions the slopes were faced.

Ya know, I actually DON'T have stories about how crazy the holidays were (not like most years). This was the most relaxed Christmas I have ever had. We stayed home in NH. My mom came to visit (she is still here). Normally, my mom gets super stressed at holiday time and drives me out of my mind. This year, she was actually able to just sit back and relax. So, on Christmas Day, we ate leftovers from Christmas Eve and just played with Declan and his new toys all day. It was pure bliss! The most stressed I got was worrying that he will fall off his new spring rocking horse. My mom got it for him. It is amazingly cool but also terrifying because it is not one of those low to the ground, easy on easy off rocking horses .... this is an old fashioned spring bouncing horse and the saddle is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Scary considering my little guy is only 3 feet! He is a monkey though and can climb on and off it with ease, although we make sure someone is in the room with him at all times.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Christmas in Canada went ok this year, haven't been there since 2001 for Christmas so it was a change to see all my relatives and brothers I haven't seen in 5 or so years. Comming home was a complete nightmare though at the Toronto Airport on Sunday. They had no clue how to do security checks at all and everyones plane was delayed. I got there at 5 am and to my gate at 7:20 which I thought I'd miss my flight. Only to turn out I was the first person for my flight there (leaving at 7:55). For the next 5 hours 11 more people showed up. We were told we can't leave till we have at least 68 people. By 1pm we finally had the 68 and took off at 1:30 (5.5 hours after the time we should have).

Lucky for me I had a direct flight, but most the people on the flight were Canadians and not only missed their connecting flights, all the other flights were booked and they were going to all be stranded in Denver on standby lists and maybe not even flying out till Tues.

This poor cute girl sat beside me and was the last to get on the plane and was crying. Turns out after 5 hours in security line standing there (like most people) they told her there was only 1 seat left and her and her friend had to put someone on there because all their luggage was on the flight and was going to Tucson with or without them. She had to leave her friend, get on the plane, and while she was running to the gate she got a phone call saying her grandma just died. She was going to miss her connecting flight and be stranded at DIA alone without her friend or her friends parents or keys to the place in Tucson she was going to. She's probably still at the airport now as she said she was just going to plan to sleep there.

Several people were going to Hawaii that missed all their flights and were on standby, others missed flights to their cruises etc.

Guess Sat they said they did the 2nd inspections at each gate and didn't have hardly any problems, then Toronto security decided not to do that on Sunday and do it all at the main security check which turned out to be the dumbest thing to possibly ever do. What a freaking nightmare. Thank hell I'm flying domestic in 3 days to California...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

Awwww. That poor little girl. :(

My family's flight from West Palm Beach to T.O. on the 26th was delayed for 6 hours. Their plane was delayed in Toronto. Apparently the Toronto to WPB people had to go through two security checks and then, after everyone was on board, they were each patted down individually with another security check, and then had to sit for 2 hours on the tarmac. :blink: I felt bad for anyone who was trying to get there for a cruise. :( My sister's flight to England from Orlando later that day was only delayed 20 minutes.

We spent Christmas in Miami. It didn't seem like Christmas at all. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

Can I just say that I am sooo happy this holiday hoopla is now finished?

Because I am. This has been one hectic holiday... I need a vacation from my vacation yanno what I'm sayin??

Donne moi une poptart!

I'm glad the holidays are over too.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

I just love the point early in the new year, where the whole calendar is laid out before you. New Year's Day is typically my favorite holiday, just from a symbolic standpoint...but the feeling usually lasts for a few weeks. That's why when my wife and I parted at the airport this morning, it wasn't as emotional as it often is -- we're both excited about 2010 because of all it's going to bring. We both know it's going to be one of the most significant years of our lives...

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.