yax

Leaving country w/o NOA and expiring GC.

5 posts in this topic

I have an idea for if my NOA doesn't come on time for me to travel and don't know if it is possible. Could I depart the country with my GC about to expire (about 3 weeks after I am leaving) and without an NOA and then have someone ship it to me when I am out of country? I will be out of the country for 6 weeks so the NOA should definitely come in that time and then I could have somebody here send it be fedex or DHL or something else quick and reliable.

Firstly is it legal? Secondly is it too risky? Will the NOA definitely come within 6 or 7 weeks of me sending it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have an idea for if my NOA doesn't come on time for me to travel and don't know if it is possible. Could I depart the country with my GC about to expire (about 3 weeks after I am leaving) and without an NOA and then have someone ship it to me when I am out of country? I will be out of the country for 6 weeks so the NOA should definitely come in that time and then I could have somebody here send it be fedex or DHL or something else quick and reliable.

Firstly is it legal? Secondly is it too risky? Will the NOA definitely come within 6 or 7 weeks of me sending it?

Ours came within 1 week... when are you submitting the filing?

You also need to be concerned about the biometrics appointment... that can be typically 4-6 weeks after filing

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I am sending in app today and leave on the 14th. I know about the biometrics appointment- I will have someone to check my mail so I can call and cancel it if necessary.

I think the NOA should come in time I am just trying to make a contingency plan.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am sending in app today and leave on the 14th. I know about the biometrics appointment- I will have someone to check my mail so I can call and cancel it if necessary.

I think the NOA should come in time I am just trying to make a contingency plan.

In addition, CSC has been relative quick compared to VSC

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline

It is legal to leave the country with a valid green card, even without a valid green card. However, since the NOA1 is more or less a receipt that your package has been received and prima facie appears to be complete, what if they send you an RFE because you forgot something or made a mistake? Take care of things from the Kingdom and resubmit from 8000 miles away?

I would not leave the country without an NOA1 at hand.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.