aya*abouelnasr

Back from Alexandria, Egypt

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I dont think that Alexandria is filthy at all Ihavequestions. And I have been to Port Said many times and didnt find it to cleaner than Alex at all. I think Alex is so great because of the fresh air and the beach especially walking on the beach at night. I miss Alex so much and cant wait to go back again.

I didn't say Alexandria doesn't have nice areas and, again, the areas nearest the sea are kept up for the benefit of tourists. The rest is filthy. When I came back to the US, after a year and a half of living there and seeing a whole bunch of the rest of Egypt, I flew into Detroit first and I was impressed because it was so clean. :blink:

:thumbs:

Ihavequestions is right. It has nice areas as Cairo does too....however, if you travel blocks back in any inner city area of Egypt...filth and garbage. :wow: I don't know where ya'll live in the US to think that its "fresh and clean". Good lord!

Totally agree...I LOVE Alex, I LOVE Cairo and loved many areas I visited in the many times I was in Egypt...however, I would never ever say it is clean. Don't confuse your love for your SO's family and home with the fact that there is no sanitation plan/program in Egypt. Jeez louise.... :blink:

When my husband arrived here in the US he couldn't believe how clean it was EVEN in NYC which he had always compared in his mind to Cairo. Not anymore... :devil:

Please don't even get me started on the streets and potholes, etc. Or how contruction is done there with total disregard to any safety standards. :lol:

I couldn't believe all the cats that were roaming everywhere!! :blink:

On the east bank of Luxor there was a horse actually just roaming the back streets along with the cats!! :wow:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I dont think that Alexandria is filthy at all Ihavequestions. And I have been to Port Said many times and didnt find it to cleaner than Alex at all. I think Alex is so great because of the fresh air and the beach especially walking on the beach at night. I miss Alex so much and cant wait to go back again.

I didn't say Alexandria doesn't have nice areas and, again, the areas nearest the sea are kept up for the benefit of tourists. The rest is filthy. When I came back to the US, after a year and a half of living there and seeing a whole bunch of the rest of Egypt, I flew into Detroit first and I was impressed because it was so clean. :blink:

:thumbs:

Ihavequestions is right. It has nice areas as Cairo does too....however, if you travel blocks back in any inner city area of Egypt...filth and garbage. :wow: I don't know where ya'll live in the US to think that its "fresh and clean". Good lord!

Totally agree...I LOVE Alex, I LOVE Cairo and loved many areas I visited in the many times I was in Egypt...however, I would never ever say it is clean. Don't confuse your love for your SO's family and home with the fact that there is no sanitation plan/program in Egypt. Jeez louise.... :blink:

When my husband arrived here in the US he couldn't believe how clean it was EVEN in NYC which he had always compared in his mind to Cairo. Not anymore... :devil:

Please don't even get me started on the streets and potholes, etc. Or how contruction is done there with total disregard to any safety standards. :lol:

I couldn't believe all the cats that were roaming everywhere!! :blink:

On the east bank of Luxor there was a horse actually just roaming the back streets along with the cats!! :wow:

I know. My gf helps run an animal rights group there and one of our very good friends is a Vet. The stories I have heard make my heart sink on top of the fact that it makes me sick to my stomach! :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well I dont think Egypt is by no means clean, but I also do not think it is filthy even far away from the beach. I think some might find it to be filthy in comparision to places in the US. I guess I am just partial to Alex. And I am not just saying that because it is my hubby's home because it is also my home. Both my parents are Egyptian so I guess I am too...LOL. I do know that there needs to a major overhaul in sanitation all over Egypt, but nonetheless I love Alex so so much. Shoutout to everyone from Alex!!!

Embassy Journey

2009-11-15 : Case at US Embassy in Cairo

2009-10-26 : Medical Exam@4pm

2009-10-28 : Medical Exam results given

2009-11-09 : Interview Date @ 9am

2009-11-09 to 2010-01-21 AP

2010-02-02: Visa Issued

2010-02-06 : Visa in Hand

2010-02-11 : U.S. Entry

U.S. Journey

2010-03-01 : Social Security card received

2010-03-04 : Welcome to the US letter received in the mail

2010-03-11 : Green card received

2010-04-04 : Ahmad got a J-O-B (Alhamdullah!)

2010-05-22 : Ahmad got his DL

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

I know. My gf helps run an animal rights group there and one of our very good friends is a Vet. The stories I have heard make my heart sink on top of the fact that it makes me sick to my stomach! :(

In Aswan I saw a so rabid the foam was dripping on the sidewalk dog, a dead horse laying on the side of a city street, and multiple dead cats. Eeeeeeuuuuuu.

Timeline

In Aswan I saw a so rabid the foam was dripping on the sidewalk dog, a dead horse laying on the side of a city street, and multiple dead cats. Eeeeeeuuuuuu.

Oh wow that is awful. I have never been to Aswan. I had no idea it was so bad there. Guess its a good thing I have never been there. LOL

Embassy Journey

U.S. Journey

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh wow...I didn't get to go to Aswan...I wonder what killed them all. Lack of food or some kind of disease... :unsure:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Awwww. The horse was probably overworked and ill at the same time from disease. Scenes like that certainly pulled at my heartstrings when I was there. :(

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Timeline

I have to admit that it was funny/sad to me that people actually steal the manhole covers to sell them for .......whatever, and then ut h trash cans, tree limbs, etc in the hole so people don't drive into them and destroy their cars. I am also still amazed that there are not more accidents considering almost no one drives with their lights on. I realized soon after getting there, that it's not neccesary to know how to drive, just as long as you can blow your horn, lol. Seriously tho, I loved it there. It is an amazing city, so alive, and the people soooooo friendly. Inshaa Allah, I am going back in Feb/March, and I can't wait!

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Timeline

I am glad you had a good time in Alex Tammy. I agree that it is a nice place to live and vacation IMO. I would know since I am Egyptian and have lived in Egypt previously for years and years. I am living in reality and not just on "vacation" land. But if some people seem to insist that Egypt is so dirty and nasty then that is fine by me. I really dont know too much about Aswan or certain parts in Cairo, but I do know about Alex and its really not as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. Either way welcome back to the US Tammy!!!!

Embassy Journey

U.S. Journey

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

Timeline
But if some people seem to insist that Egypt is so dirty and nasty then that is fine by me.

Well gee thanks for your approval. :rolleyes:

I wasnt giving anyone my approval. I was just trying to word things as nicely as possible, but since you wrote a smartass comment I will write what I was really thinking. If some of you insist that Egypt is so nasty and filthy then dont go there!!!!!!!!!

Embassy Journey

U.S. Journey

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline
But if some people seem to insist that Egypt is so dirty and nasty then that is fine by me.

Well gee thanks for your approval. :rolleyes:

I wasnt giving anyone my approval. I was just trying to word things as nicely as possible, but since you wrote a smartass comment I will write what I was really thinking. If some of you insist that Egypt is so nasty and filthy then dont go there!!!!!!!!!

So it's ok for you to post what your really thinking but it's not ok for others to post what they think about Egypt? Typing "thats is fine by me" sounds like your giving your approval. ;)

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: Timeline

Honestly, you need to get a thicker skin and grow up with the yelling at people who just disagreed with your opinion.

I never said I didn't like it there nor did anyone else. They just disagreed with you disagreeing first with ihavequestions (who was agreeing with the OP) and then basically disagreeing with the OP since she stated seeing some trash but how she loved it there. Yah, I could see how that was something to jump on and correct...ummm...NOT. I do think that your way of viewing things is a "vacation" mentality no matter if I say it here or any other place I wish to post, cute zing by the way you're very slick. *insert applause here* But because I don't agree with you then I should stay out of my husbands country and part of my childrens culture and background? Really?!?

I corrected your comment because in my opinion, its not factual. Most people in the US do not come from a large city and are not used to it being like it is in Egypt. Our everyday necessities are their luxuries for the most part. Sorry if I do not sugar coat sh!t. I adore Egypt, I adore the people, I adore my husband and I will continue to visit and go back. But I do not agree with your rose colored vision of Egypt just because you want me too. So get over it.

Here is what I would tell others if they wanted to go and I do btw:

Most of Egypt is dirty but what do you expect? Its the oldest country in the world. Ancient cities are generally very dirty today. Athens, Rome and Paris are are dirty (IMO). Cairo is not a very pretty place (IMO) but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. The pyramids and the Cairo museum are amazing. Alexandria is nice (more European IMO) but not alot to do but you can enjoy lazy days on the beach and walking/shopping around Green Plaza and check out Dahab on the Red Sea. Nice little diving town that I loved. Also, try to see the temple at Abu Simbel and the Valley of the kings at Luxor, they're amazing. Sailing down the Nile is amazing too but they're not equiped with facilities...lol. I think the main reason alot of people don't enjoy Egypt is because they expect it to be westernised, which of course it isn't completely (minus the fast food places). Some toilets are just a hole in the ground. I loved Egypt but I'm a city girl and I'm always up for something new and an adventure. I think I was born with a suitcase in my hand :P

Edited by Nawal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.