16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, the easy ride finally ends. Everything up to AOS was a breeze for us....

For my 5 year old, I signed as the person completing the I-485 instead of signing for her. The case was rejected because of this.

Here is the text from the NOA

The application/petition you filed along with any fee you submitted is being returned to you for the following reason(s):

- A valid signature is not contained in the signature block of the application or petition. A signature in the"Signature of person preparing form, if other than above" block is not a valid signature for this purpose.

In accordance with 8CFR 103.2(a)(2), an applicant or petitioner must sign his or her application or petition. However, a parent or legal gaurdian may sign for a person who is less than 14 years old or a legal gaurdian may sign for a mentally incompetent person. By signing the application or petition, the applicant or petitioner, or parent or gaurdian certifies under penalty of perjury taht the application or petition, and all evidence submitted with it, either at the time of filling or thereafter, is true and correct. Please sign and resubmit the application with the appropriate fees to the address listed on the bottom of this notice.

- The entire application package you filed along with any fees you submitted is being returned to you for the following reason(s):

Your application package was submitted with a single remittance and one or more of the applications/petitions were unacceptable in the package for the reason(s) specified on the related Notice(s) of Action (Form I-797). Please correct the flawed application(s)/petition(s) and resubmit the application package with the appropriate fees and supporting documents to the address listed on the bottom of this notice.

-----

The question is do I have to redo every document and have a current signature date on each one, or is it OK to send the other documents untouched and just do a new I-485 for my daughter? The service center stamped the date twice on these documents so I am not sure if I should use them again. Also, I know they require the photos to be not older than 30 days (I think anyway) so does the date of all the signatures have to be within a certain timeframe as well. The signatures are now about 6 weeks old.

It seems to me that the notice says that I can just correct what is wrong and resubmit without redoing everything. But, I don't know if I am reading this government employees words correctly.

Any advice from someone who has had a similiar problem is appreciated.

Edited by fzrdan

4/9/2005: Sent I-129F to CSC

4/13/2005: I-129F received by CSC

4/20/2005: NOA1 received

6/6/2005: NOA2 received

6/9/2005: NVC received petition

6/17/2005: Received letter from NVC

7/11/2005: Finally receive packet 3!

8/8/2005: packet 4

9/12/2005: INTERVIEW

9/12/2005: APPROVED!!!!

10/11/2005: Together at last

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think that you would only have to sign that one paper. Then send the package back in. Thats just my opinion thou.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

this is just my opinions,am not an expert. You are fixing a flaw which wasn't subjected to an administrative review,so if I were you I would redo every thing on new forms and then resubmit. May be I am guessing: did you attach an affidavit as a legal guardian as part of the documents to establish the authority of signing for your 5 year old? Sometimes it makes sense to file more documents to estabilish the legality beyond birth certificates or the like. Whats is funny with government letters is that they frustrate you a lot once they find out one flaw,the first instance, and then later an RFE can follow to just delay you. So,doing a good homework before you resubmitt would render you a good help. Seeking a free consultation with an immigr attorney can be good too.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I think you shoukd change the topic of this topic, because this is not a rejection, is just resubmiting the paperwork again . Very simple. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The NOA says in big bold print Notice Type: Rejection Notice. Seems like a rejection to me. I know it is not a permanent rejection but it is what it is.

4/9/2005: Sent I-129F to CSC

4/13/2005: I-129F received by CSC

4/20/2005: NOA1 received

6/6/2005: NOA2 received

6/9/2005: NVC received petition

6/17/2005: Received letter from NVC

7/11/2005: Finally receive packet 3!

8/8/2005: packet 4

9/12/2005: INTERVIEW

9/12/2005: APPROVED!!!!

10/11/2005: Together at last

Filed: Timeline

you dont need to re-do all the paper work...... you said they sent it back because you did not sign it in the right place for your child.... so just sign it in the right place and mail it back.....

why make it harder than it needs to be.....

Kezzie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same thing happened when I sent my daughters package in. They sent it all back, I crossed out my signature, initaled it, and signed in the correct spot.

NOTE* They didn't return my daughters passport pictures with her package. I ended up getting a RFE for them a few months later, so if they didn't send your back, then i'd have them re-done and sent with the package to avoid a RFE.

tamz

I-129F

12.18.04 Mailed I-129F

12.31.04 NOA1

05.17.05 NOA2

08.22.05 Visa Approved in Montreal

08.24.05 POE at Lewiston, NY

08.27.05 Married

AOS/EAD/AP (K-1)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS/EAD & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS/EAD & AP

11.10.05 AP in mail

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

12.27.05 EAD arrives in snail mail

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

AOS&AP (K-2)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS & AP

10.06.05 AOS/AP touched

11.25.05 AP arrived in snail mail.

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

I-751 Remove Conditions

01.10.08 Mailed I-751 to VSC

01.18.08 NOA

01.19.08 NOA/Extention letter for Abbey

02.15.08 Biometrics in Birmingham

02.20.08 Touched

05.16.08 ... waiting....

01.12.08 Approved! Card Ordered

.png

So it is not rejection then...

There are many people dealing with REAL rejection here and I feel bad thinking of someone in that situation clicking this post and getting more frustrated...

Send the signature and that's it, I guess...

I would change the title even though CIS uses those words like rejection. They say they will DEPORT you if you do not report change of address within 10 days of moving. Even though that form is in effect for 50 years, it never happened so far...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are many people dealing with REAL rejection here and I feel bad thinking of someone in that situation clicking this post and getting more frustrated...

Yes... It is a rejection. The OP is using the correct terminology in their subject line. It is what the notice said after all. I see no reason why they have to change it because some people on this forum don't know the difference between a rejection and a denial. They are two completely different things.

REJECTION occurs when the Chicago Lockbox sends the package back because something wasn't filled in or completed correctly. DENIAL means that USCIS chooses not to grant permanent resident status to an applicant and will start deportation proceedings if a motion to reconsider is not filed in a timely manner.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Yes... It is a rejection. The OP is using the correct terminology in their subject line. It is what the notice said after all. I see no reason why they have to change it because some people on this forum don't know the difference between a rejection and a denial. They are two completely different things.

REJECTION occurs when the Chicago Lockbox sends the package back because something wasn't filled in or completed correctly. DENIAL means that USCIS chooses not to grant permanent resident status to an applicant and will start deportation proceedings if a motion to reconsider is not filed in a timely manner.

Either way, the title is somewhat misleading. I didn't realize it it was just the initial paperwork that was rejected and not the entire AOS process.

Anyways, I think that if they only sent back the application with the mistake I would say go ahead a fix the signature and resend, but they're they're sending back you're entire submission including the check. For all we know, your name might not even been in the system for AOS so I think the best thing to do is redo everything and send the complete submission back.

btw I think the fact that you even have to bother with this is dumb and a waste of time. If you signed it, you signed it. Who cares if it's just a couple inches off from where you're supposed to. It's not like you can gain anything from signing it at the wrong spot. I had a situation similar to this during K1 process with worse consequences and it ended up costing me 2 nights of sleep , a trip to thailand, and over $1k to fix. Goodluck.

Either way, the title is somewhat misleading.

van723,

No. It is not.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Either way, the title is somewhat misleading.

van723,

No.

Agent Smith,

Yes.

?????

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If we're concerned about being misled, you could say that the Rejection Notice itself is somewhat misleading. Perhaps USCIS should change the Notice Type to Returned for Correction Notice.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

my son was 11 and we were advised that if he was able to sign the document than it was better if he did so that's what we did even though he was under 14.

we didn't get an RFE

Me - Gloucester England Him - Green Bay Wisconsin

1/10/05 Adjustment of status applied for for my son and I

1/19/05 Documents received and process started in Chicago

2/24/05 Fingerprinting and Biometrics done in Milwaukee

3/4/05 received in the post

3/7/05 Applied at local office in Green Bay for SSN

3/8/05 Received a print out of SSN number from the office and card is on it's way !

3/10/05 Got a job ! Server at Smokey Bones - will do for now while I'm looking for the right job !

3/16/05 card arrives

3/18/05 Got state ID Card

5/20/05 Appt interview letter received for 29th June 2005

6/16/05 After 3 interviews with Associated Bank have been offered a Personal Bankers Position to start on july 5th - excellent news 40 hours !!!

6/25/05 Passed my driving test !

6/29/05 APPROVED - Adjustment of status interview - Milwaukee

7/8/05 Green cards arrived for both my son and I

05/10/07 documents sent to lift conditions

05/24/07 letters rec'd extending green card and biometrics letters rec'd for 06/11/2007

06/11/07 Biometrics done in Milwaukee

04/11/08 letters received from UCIS transferring case to California from Nebraska service centre

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.