PalestineMyHeart

In America's Best Interests ?

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

A fascinating, disturbing study.

Snippets:

For the past several decades, and especially since the Six-Day War in 1967, the centerpiece of US Middle Eastern policy has been its relationship with Israel. The combination of unwavering support for Israel and the related effort to spread ‘democracy’ throughout the region has inflamed Arab and Islamic opinion and jeopardised not only US security but that of much of the rest of the world. This situation has no equal in American political history. Why has the US been willing to set aside its own security and that of many of its allies in order to advance the interests of another state? One might assume that the bond between the two countries was based on shared strategic interests or compelling moral imperatives, but neither explanation can account for the remarkable level of material and diplomatic support that the US provides.

Instead, the thrust of US policy in the region derives almost entirely from domestic politics, and especially the activities of the ‘Israel Lobby’. Other special-interest groups have managed to skew foreign policy, but no lobby has managed to divert it as far from what the national interest would suggest, while simultaneously convincing Americans that US interests and those of the other country – in this case, Israel – are essentially identical.

During the Clinton administration, Middle Eastern policy was largely shaped by officials with close ties to Israel or to prominent pro-Israel organisations; among them, Martin Indyk, the former deputy director of research at AIPAC and co-founder of the pro-Israel Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP); Dennis Ross, who joined WINEP after leaving government in 2001; and Aaron Miller, who has lived in Israel and often visits the country. These men were among Clinton’s closest advisers at the Camp David summit in July 2000. Although all three supported the Oslo peace process and favoured the creation of a Palestinian state, they did so only within the limits of what would be acceptable to Israel. The American delegation took its cues from Ehud Barak, co-ordinated its negotiating positions with Israel in advance, and did not offer independent proposals. Not surprisingly, Palestinian negotiators complained that they were ‘negotiating with two Israeli teams – one displaying an Israeli flag, and one an American flag’.

The situation is even more pronounced in the Bush administration, whose ranks have included such fervent advocates of the Israeli cause as Elliot Abrams, John Bolton, Douglas Feith, I. Lewis (‘Scooter’) Libby, Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz and David Wurmser. As we shall see, these officials have consistently pushed for policies favoured by Israel and backed by organisations in the Lobby.

The Lobby doesn’t want an open debate, of course, because that might lead Americans to question the level of support they provide. Accordingly, pro-Israel organisations work hard to influence the institutions that do most to shape popular opinion.

The Lobby’s perspective prevails in the mainstream media: the debate among Middle East pundits, the journalist Eric Alterman writes, is ‘dominated by people who cannot imagine criticising Israel’. He lists 61 ‘columnists and commentators who can be counted on to support Israel reflexively and without qualification’. Conversely, he found just five pundits who consistently criticise Israeli actions or endorse Arab positions. Newspapers occasionally publish guest op-eds challenging Israeli policy, but the balance of opinion clearly favours the other side. It is hard to imagine any mainstream media outlet in the United States publishing a piece like this one.

‘Shamir, Sharon, Bibi – whatever those guys want is pretty much fine by me,’ Robert Bartley once remarked. Not surprisingly, his newspaper, the Wall Street Journal, along with other prominent papers like the Chicago Sun-Times and the Washington Times, regularly runs editorials that strongly support Israel. Magazines like Commentary, the New Republic and the Weekly Standard defend Israel at every turn.

Editorial bias is also found in papers like the New York Times, which occasionally criticises Israeli policies and sometimes concedes that the Palestinians have legitimate grievances, but is not even-handed. In his memoirs the paper’s former executive editor Max Frankel acknowledges the impact his own attitude had on his editorial decisions: ‘I was much more deeply devoted to Israel than I dared to assert . . . Fortified by my knowledge of Israel and my friendships there, I myself wrote most of our Middle East commentaries. As more Arab than Jewish readers recognised, I wrote them from a pro-Israel perspective.’

And it gets even more interesting.

http://mearsheimer.uchicago.edu/pdfs/A0040.pdf

Edited and reworked version at http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/mear01_.html

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT's all about Lobbyst whoever got the most money to buy the politician!!

Surprise how can the Arabs with all that oil money doesn't join the game, and buy out a few lobbyist themselves in Washington, even so where's the UNITY< it's all about talk, talk and no action, with So much money in the Gulf, why they have to depend so much on Foreigners, As muslims and Arabs with so much wealth can a litte bit of that pass along to their neighbors"????

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Timeline

Why does the U.S. give money to Israel? What benefit do we receive in return?

"To be the man, you've got to beat the man. And I'm the man."

"Ladies....you can't be first but you can be next."

WOOOOOOOOOO!

Flair 3:16 means you just got chopped

"IV"

*Touched* - All night long...wooooo!

Timeline
I'm surprised you have only just discovered it. It has been around for quite some time and

caused enough controversy...

Why would you assume that I have only just discovered it ?

I've been well aware of this report since it was first published.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

good avatar ..and welcome ric..the mature boy

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

good avatar ..and welcome ric..the mature boy

Thanks! I think it is the nature boy though :lol:

WOOOOOOOOOO!

"IV"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm surprised you have only just discovered it. It has been around for quite some time and

Because you didn't share it until now; though I suspected that you had read it --

many thoughts and ideas that I saw in your posts might as well have been written

by Mearsheimer and Walt.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Because you didn't share it until now; though I suspected that you had read it --

many thoughts and ideas that I saw in your posts might as well have been written

by Mearsheimer and Walt.

Welllllll..... sorry to break to ya, but such thoughts and ideas have been in my head (and in quite a few other Americans' heads, too) for a longggg time before this paper was published. :yes:

Actually, I was having a conversation about this last night, in reference to current events in the news, and that prompted me to share the links here today in a couple of places.

As you might guess, due to my specific interest in, experience with, and personal connection to Palestine, I have archives and archives of stuff relating to Palestinian and Israeli issues. But there's no need to put everything on the table all at once ;) It took me years to absorb it, and I'm not even done yet !

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

As you might guess, due to my specific interest in, experience with, and personal connection to Palestine, I have archives and archives of stuff relating to Palestinian and Israeli issues.

Are you a government worker or is your interest soley due to family and/or spousal relationship?

WOOOOOOOOOO!

"IV"

Timeline

As you might guess, due to my specific interest in, experience with, and personal connection to Palestine, I have archives and archives of stuff relating to Palestinian and Israeli issues.

Are you a government worker or is your interest soley due to family and/or spousal relationship?

No, I'm not a government employee.

My interest in, and travels to, the region began long before I met my husband.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

No, I'm not a government employee.

My interest in, and travels to, the region began long before I met my husband.

What inspired your interest?

WOOOOOOOOOO!

"IV"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Welllllll..... sorry to break to ya, but such thoughts and ideas have been in my head (and in quite a few other Americans' heads, too) for a longggg time before this paper was published. :yes:

Not only Americans. I've met and had discussions with many British academics

who share your point of view to a T. Your list of web sites is almost the same

as their lists (although you never mentioned onestate.org -- a movement for one

secular democratic state) and I've heard the same arguments before.

That's not to say that you don't have any valid points; I may disagree with your

interpretation of events, but I can certainly see where you're coming from.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg