seeker2k

Notarial Birth Certificate ?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Even though I used an "approved" translator for my certificate of marriagability they still wouldn't accept it at the marriage office. They were very corrupt in Guangzhou and forced me to use their in house translator at more than double the price. I protested very loudly and aggressively but they would only accept that specific translator. Luckily I made the original translator guarantee that his translation would be accepted. He refunded my money when I returned and told him what happened. He called and yelled at the marriage office too but they obviously didn't care.

Also when we were doing our registration, they tried to con us into paying for overpriced pictures and fake ceremony garbage. There was another couple there who bought their lies hook line and sinker. I don't know how much they got swindled for, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Even my wife was afraid to tell them no since they were somewhat holding our certificates hostage trying to extort us. I demanded the certificates loudly and agressively (notice a pattern?) and ran out the door as soon as we got them.

In my experience, the Guangzhou marriage office is totally corrupt and if you don't know exactly what you need and don't need you will be swindled quite badly. Sadly this is the case with most things in Guangzhou..... :(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Even though I used an "approved" translator for my certificate of marriagability they still wouldn't accept it at the marriage office. They were very corrupt in Guangzhou and forced me to use their in house translator at more than double the price. I protested very loudly and aggressively but they would only accept that specific translator. Luckily I made the original translator guarantee that his translation would be accepted. He refunded my money when I returned and told him what happened. He called and yelled at the marriage office too but they obviously didn't care.

Also when we were doing our registration, they tried to con us into paying for overpriced pictures and fake ceremony garbage. There was another couple there who bought their lies hook line and sinker. I don't know how much they got swindled for, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Even my wife was afraid to tell them no since they were somewhat holding our certificates hostage trying to extort us. I demanded the certificates loudly and agressively (notice a pattern?) and ran out the door as soon as we got them.

In my experience, the Guangzhou marriage office is totally corrupt and if you don't know exactly what you need and don't need you will be swindled quite badly. Sadly this is the case with most things in Guangzhou..... :(

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your tale of woe about your certificate of marriageability issue in Guangzhou.

The thread you hijacked is over three years old and was last commented on two years ago. :blink:

Hopefully, for your sake, your dealings in China will come to a prompt conclusion. Good luck! :thumbs:

Happy New Year! :dance:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

All this reading. And I still don't know what the hell is a white book

Sounds like you want to read some more. Check out the pinned thread located at the top of the China regional forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/393969-chinese-marriage-visa-terms-and-definitions/

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.