Veiled Princess

Takalaamal deen

79 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I think it would be nice to share books that we have enjoyed about Islam.

One of the first books I read was The Road to Mecca. I have a first edition copy that I absolutely treasure. Another easy read that I a while back and thoroughly enjoyed was Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet. The story of his life is absolutely moving. I think the latter is a great book for someone who is looking to learn more about the Prophet's life while enjoying an easy read and pleasurable writing style.

Two DVDs that my husband and I have watched together are Islam: Empire of Faith and Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet. I recommend both and they are available through Netflix!

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca! I'm ordering The Road to Mecca right now. :yes:

8-7-06 Visa received after 6 months of AR

9-1-06 AOS sent

9-20-06 Biometrics

3-5-07 AOS Approved

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*quietly slips into a seat ... hopefully unnoticed* eatdrink033.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Just to let you know, Road to Mecca isn't about Islam in a direct way, but more about the author's spiritual journey, not only to Mecca but with fellow Muslims mixed in with history. It is also an old book, so much about the journey through Saudi has changed. I hope you won't be disappointed!

Rebecca

One of the first books I read was The Road to Mecca. I have a first edition copy that I absolutely treasure. Another easy read that I a while back and thoroughly enjoyed was Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet. The story of his life is absolutely moving. I think the latter is a great book for someone who is looking to learn more about the Prophet's life while enjoying an easy read and pleasurable writing style.

Two DVDs that my husband and I have watched together are Islam: Empire of Faith and Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet. I recommend both and they are available through Netflix!

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca! I'm ordering The Road to Mecca right now. :yes:

Edited by Bosco

Rebecca

Was one of those the PBS-made documentary about Muhammed? I thought it was wonderful and a great introduction to us non-Muslims wanting to know more about the faith and the man. I gave it to my family to better understand my husband and the religion of the country I live in. I especially like that it interviews Muslim, Christian and Jewish scholars and interviews different American Muslims.

Books: I have to say I am working my way through all of Fatima Mernessi (wonderful Moroccan feminist). I also like _Islam, the Straight Path_ (Esposito?) and _Islam from Within_ (forgot author). I admit I come to Islam from a religious studies background, so I tend to look for the exegesis-type works.

Amanda

Filed: Timeline

Rebecca, I think it's great to share. If anyone has kids you're trying to teach the deen to, I would recommend a really nice animated movie called "Muhammad, the Last Prophet". I ordered it from ebay but can't find it available now. If I find a link I'll post it. It really keeps them interested and it teaches them about our beloved prophet (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) and the beginning of Islam in Makkah, on a level they can understand.

*quietly slips into a seat ... hopefully unnoticed*

Gimy,

You are most welcomed here. Please respect the rules posted at the entrance. (F)

Layla

You can watch in online here The Last Prophet, Animated Film.

Rebecca, I think it's great to share. If anyone has kids you're trying to teach the deen to, I would recommend a really nice animated movie called "Muhammad, the Last Prophet". I ordered it from ebay but can't find it available now. If I find a link I'll post it. It really keeps them interested and it teaches them about our beloved prophet (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) and the beginning of Islam in Makkah, on a level they can understand.
Edited by Bosco

Books: I have to say I am working my way through all of Fatima Mernessi (wonderful Moroccan feminist). I also like _Islam, the Straight Path_ (Esposito?) and _Islam from Within_ (forgot author). I admit I come to Islam from a religious studies background, so I tend to look for the exegesis-type works.

Amanda

If you are looking for exegesis type of books, the following are from female writers (both of whom who have faced scrutiny and criticism from more "traditional" thinkers), Believing Women in Islam ~ Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an and Qur'an and Woman ~ Rereading the Text from a Woman's Perspective , with the latter the more controversial of the two as she was involved with the female-lead prayer.

Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Isn't this the same topic that started the fuss before? thfire.gif

dudette!!!! where did you find the cool flaming smileys???? must have that...

:P

Rebecca

Nice segway (sp???) Rebecca... and I just started "Mohammed: A Biography of the Prophet" but have not gotten far into it yet. I also enjoy Fatima Mernissi, altho I have not finished "Behind the Veil" yet. I also read (and got a good bit out of it) the "teach yourself edition" Islam... apparently "teach yourself" has a series of books. And altho it might rub some the wrong way, I did also enjoy "Living Islam Out Loud" - a series of essays by American Muslim women on various topics. I left it with Said to read when I left Morocco. I'll post more as I think of them.

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Timeline

This is the first book I read about Islam.... not counting the articles and such I read online. Explanation of the Three Fundamental Principles of Islam. The author of this book is Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen and it is the explanation of the treatise written by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdul-Wahhaab.

This is an extension of the book above. Explanation of the Four Fundamental Principles by Shaykul-Islaam Muhammad Ibn 'Abdul-Wahhab and explanation by Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan.

I'll post more later inshallah.

Layla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here is the list of books I've read and found helpful/enjoying in research and pleasure reading:

1) Islam: Beliefs and Observances. 7th ed. Caesar E.Farah. Published by Barrons.

Gives a great overview of the faith, non-biased. Very factual, academic oriented. Easy to read and understand.

2) Beyond the Veil: Male-Female Dynamics in Modern Muslim Society. Revised Edition. Fatima Mernissi. ISBN # 0-253-31162-4.

Mernissi is a Moroccan feminist and professor in Casablanca. This book really delves into the Koranic interpretations of things vs. the cultural/societal interpretations.

3) Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood. Fatima Mernissi. ISBN #0-201-48937-6

Another good read, but more like a novel. It’s about her life growing up in Fes.

4) Travels with a Tangerine. Tim McIntosh- Smith. ISBN 0-8129-7164-7

This is a travel related book. Smith follows the path of Ibn Bhatutah one of the greatest known travelers of the world. He tries to imitate Bhatutah’s journey and finds himself all over the middle east.

5) Esposito, John L and DeLong-Bas, Natana J. “Women in Muslim Family Law.” Syracuse University Press. 2001.

This is a pretty academic book, focusing a lot on laws (but it’s not overly technical). It does a sound job giving what is prescribed in the Koran and what is upheld as law in countries that claim they are laws based on the Koran.

6) Mir-Hosseini, Ziba. “Marriage on Trial: A Study of Islamic Family Law, Iran and Morocco Compared.” St. Martin’s Press. 1993.

This book focuses on aspects of marriage (including divorce) and is generally just 2 case studies of Morocco and Iran. It helps to compare and see the differences in the two countries very different interpretations.

7) Smith, Jane I. “Islam in America.” Columbia Contemporary American Religion Series. Columbia University Press. 1999. ISBN # 0-231-10967-9

8) Geaves, Ron. “Aspects of Islam”. Georgetown University Press. Washington DC. 2005.

9) Fernea, Elizabeth Warnock. “In Search of Islamic Feminism: One Woman’s Global Journey.” Doubleday. New York, NY 1998.

10) Stowasser, Barbara Freyer. Women in the Qu’ran, Traditions and Interpretations. Oxford University Press. New York, NY. 1994.

Right now I'm also reading:

Reading Lolita in Tehran, Brick Lane (Monica Ali), and another book comparing Islam, Christianity and Judaism through history. I'll give details on them as I get into them!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

I know humor about Islam can be offensive to some, but I enjoy Azhar Usham. I stumbled upon this site not long ago. Maniac Muslim Some of it is a little flat but I thought this page was quite funny Annoying Quirks, especially the part about Arabic at the bottom.

Rebecca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.