Jimmy n Regine

What happens if I do not want to remove conditions?

66 posts in this topic

you know it would be nice to have hidden cameras in the house for when she throws her fits....i know it would be hard to do if she is always home. There has been some good advice here, so it is just all in the course of action you take now.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP's description of his treatment brings back unpleasant personal memories here, si man...

Legal counsel is a must. I would also (with an attorney, or alone) go speak with the police agency that has jurisdiction in your area. Sit down with a sergeant or lieutenant who has dealt with such things and who will take a written report. Explain the situation as objectively as possible, express your concerns for your safety, ask for what your options are, and get a copy of the officer's report or notes from this meeting -- or, at least, get the officer's name/badge number and the number of the police report (or the date/time of your meeting). The immigration issue is rather beside the point; your safety is the chief concern.

You will score a lot of points if, during your caucus with the police, you ask exactly how to handle matters if your wife blows up and says or does X, Y, or Z. This will add to your immediate credibility during the caucus, and it could also work to your benefit during legal proceedings later, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

- She doesn't stop being permanent resident if she didn't remove the conditions. No one can take her permanent status other than immigration judge.

- Cops have nothing to do with immigration and they do not force immigration laws.

- Sending blank package and convincing her you sent the package would probably work very much against you in court.

- Unless she is brain damaged she will be expecting notice of action and biometrics appointment pretty soon and if she doesn't get any of those she will probably contact USCIS to find out that nothing was received.

- It doesn't seem like a fraud marriage and although I understand your precarious situation the best course of action is to divorce her without trying to commit fraud (you may or may not sign I-751 it is up to you). She will probably be able to do it without you (albeit with more scrutiny), but that WILL make her hurry up with the divorce as she needs to be divorced to file I-751 on her own.

Also, whoever said that they shouldn't file I-751 because the marriage is in the toilet is wrong: they can easily file it as they are still married and not in the process of divorce. I am sure there are plenty of marriages who experience marital problems while filing I-751: some get reconciled some don't.

Edited by sh18

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi, Tom,

I've read your post, twice, and went through all the responses. Now my head hurts and that's a sure indicator that I didn't like much of what I read. So here's my take on it.

From your responses to some of the posts I understand that you want that woman out of your life, preferably as far away from your hometown as possible, preferably back to the streets of Brazil.

Therefore, instead of giving you a lecture on how she can remove conditions on her own or on how VAWA works and on how you are committed to her since you married her, I'll be getting right to the important part: the battle plan!

In order to remove the condition of her residence (being happily married to you all this time), you both have to file the I-751 jointly. Slightly simplified for practical purposes, she can only remove the condition on her own if you drop dead, or abused or divorced her. She cannot file for ROC alone unless one of the three aforementioned conditions exist.

Therefore, do not help her with the I-751. Remove every bit of evidence showing that you guys ever lived together. Do not divorce her until she's in handcuffs, waiting for her ride to Brazil. Without you being dead, being documented as an spousal abuser, and without divorce, she has entered the twilight zone of the I-751 . . . the land of nothing.

She can't file, at least not successfully, and without filing, USCIS will eventually start removal conditions. She will have a chance to face an immigration judge and could, theoretically, ask for the deportation proceedings to be put on hold until she's divorced. That, however, is your chance to inform the judge about her fraudulent nature.

Now . . . of course she will go gagga once she realizes that you won't help her. So at one point in time you'll have to stay somewhere else, from where you'll tell her, on the phone, not in person. At the same time you'll have somebody else coming to your house, ringing the door bell a few minutes later, and if she's going psycho this person will call the cops to document her actions and the damage.

With the police report, you'll write a letter to USICS with her Alien number and report that you found out that she is a fraudster, totally psycho, and that you are afraid she would do you harm.

Using the same report, you'll get a restraining order against her and move her out of your house.

From there on all you do is have to wait until she'll be removed.

Wish you the best.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Please make an appointment with a good attorney asap, explain the abusive situation and let him or her handle it. It's the most sensible thing you can do now.

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

The OP's description of his treatment brings back unpleasant personal memories here, si man...

Legal counsel is a must. I would also (with an attorney, or alone) go speak with the police agency that has jurisdiction in your area. Sit down with a sergeant or lieutenant who has dealt with such things and who will take a written report. Explain the situation as objectively as possible, express your concerns for your safety, ask for what your options are, and get a copy of the officer's report or notes from this meeting -- or, at least, get the officer's name/badge number and the number of the police report (or the date/time of your meeting). The immigration issue is rather beside the point; your safety is the chief concern.

You will score a lot of points if, during your caucus with the police, you ask exactly how to handle matters if your wife blows up and says or does X, Y, or Z. This will add to your immediate credibility during the caucus, and it could also work to your benefit during legal proceedings later, si man.

Si, man; bullseye.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

This is by far the best advice I've seen here. Followed by Just Bob's battle plan. DOCUMENTATION is the name of the game my friend when dealing with ANY government agency. If it's written down with date and time it is FAR more believeable then just rattling off a list of things that have gone on. Start creating your documentation NOW.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Yes also one thing the lawyer told me when i was in the process of the divorce was to take notes of conversations, my ex's reaction, her unwillingness to let me see my daughter..this would help me later in my case if i needed it since it is hard to recall everything....but if you have a printout for the judge...bingo you are in there. He said it was best to have record like e-mail or even texts. I dont know if you use any of those, but it is an option. The biggest thing is to have legal advice.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Remove every bit of evidence showing that you guys ever lived together. Do not divorce her until she's in handcuffs, waiting for her ride to Brazil. Without you being dead, being documented as an spousal abuser, and without divorce, she has entered the twilight zone of the I-751 . . . the land of nothing.

Heh, ex-illegal immigrant is teaching US citizen how to screw a legal immigrant.... :blink: "Yep, destroying evidence and then lying to immigration judge that it was fake marriage is the way! Would be hilarious if she got that on cam heh"

Edited by sh18

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I did not call this fraud. His question was "What happens if I do not wish to remove conditions" I took that as.... "help get me out of the ^&%# situation I am in" and the way to get out of that is to remove the evidence that would allow her to stay in the country. That evidence is what will allow her to remove conditions on her own regardless of their situation.

B I N G O! I do not intend to divorce her. I have tried to talk with her about this. She makes it quite clear that the only way this would happen would be in an ugly court situation. Not going to happen! She feels I owe her 1/2 of everything I spent my whole life earning! And, she refuses to take any offers of a reasonable nature. She will only settle after one of those nasty divorces she has seen in the movies. And, she threatens things in my sleep, if I try it!

So, as I read it, if we are married we must either do this I-751 together, or she must request a waiver because she is divorced, and/ or prove abuse from the American citizen!

So, after her green card expires, what next?

tom

Sorry but you two are married and when there is a divorce, depending on the state, settlements can be proscribed by the court.

If she is deported, she will still be married to you. She may be able to intiate divorce proceedings on her own, especially when she finds out about the bait and switch you are describing. I would talk immediately with a good divorce attorney to see what your options are now to protect your assets.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I see that Atlanta is your local USCIS office. If you are indeed in Georgia, and if you divorce her, she is only entitled to half of assetts accumulated during your marriage. Prior existing assetts are excluded (spoken with experience). However, be careful with any assetts she may have access to meanwhile. My ex took $228,000 without my knowledge, just before the divorce. Protect your "####"etts!

I think you're missing the obvious starting point.

What does she actually want? Obviously there is something, whether she can articulate it or not. The fact that she won't leave, she's physically and verbally violent towards you and she's threatening to take all you have if you divorce her tends to indicate that she wants to be with you. She could remove conditions on her own by divorce so it seems unusual that she would be behaving this way to gain legal status.

Nobody knows the ins and outs of your relationship except the two of you, but could this be about insecurity? Obviously, the girl is messed up with a childhood like that and maybe she's just not wired the right way to be able to communicate what it is that she does want from you.

Quite frankly, sit her down and talk to her. Make a list of all the options she has, with or without you, and find out just what is driving her behaviour.

Of course, everyone here could be assuming that you're the victim, instead of suggesting that maybe you've had a change of heart and withdrawn from her, leaving her in a miserable pit that she doesn't know how to crawl out of. Every story has at least two sides. Maybe you're coming at this one from the wrong angle. Be the better person and work for a solution that gives her some peace of mind. If you ever gave a damn about the person you married, you owe her that much at least.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi, Tom,

I've read your post, twice, and went through all the responses. Now my head hurts and that's a sure indicator that I didn't like much of what I read. So here's my take on it.

From your responses to some of the posts I understand that you want that woman out of your life, preferably as far away from your hometown as possible, preferably back to the streets of Brazil.

Therefore, instead of giving you a lecture on how she can remove conditions on her own or on how VAWA works and on how you are committed to her since you married her, I'll be getting right to the important part: the battle plan!

In order to remove the condition of her residence (being happily married to you all this time), you both have to file the I-751 jointly. Slightly simplified for practical purposes, she can only remove the condition on her own if you drop dead, or abused or divorced her. She cannot file for ROC alone unless one of the three aforementioned conditions exist.

Therefore, do not help her with the I-751. Remove every bit of evidence showing that you guys ever lived together. Do not divorce her until she's in handcuffs, waiting for her ride to Brazil. Without you being dead, being documented as an spousal abuser, and without divorce, she has entered the twilight zone of the I-751 . . . the land of nothing.

She can't file, at least not successfully, and without filing, USCIS will eventually start removal conditions. She will have a chance to face an immigration judge and could, theoretically, ask for the deportation proceedings to be put on hold until she's divorced. That, however, is your chance to inform the judge about her fraudulent nature.

Now . . . of course she will go gagga once she realizes that you won't help her. So at one point in time you'll have to stay somewhere else, from where you'll tell her, on the phone, not in person. At the same time you'll have somebody else coming to your house, ringing the door bell a few minutes later, and if she's going psycho this person will call the cops to document her actions and the damage.

With the police report, you'll write a letter to USICS with her Alien number and report that you found out that she is a fraudster, totally psycho, and that you are afraid she would do you harm.

Using the same report, you'll get a restraining order against her and move her out of your house.

From there on all you do is have to wait until she'll be removed.

Wish you the best.

Finally, some great advice! I thank you all. But, you all assume that she, like most sane people, will listen and reason what is best for her situation. 1 - She never listens to anything I begin to say to her. 2 - She does not care about tomorrow. She only thinks about "right now!" She has apologized for her behavior so oftern, only to be cursing up a storm 1 hour later.

This one gave some good sensible advice. I have no intention of giving her the receipt for the empty package. And, I do not intend to make a copy.

She does not speak English well enough to fill out a job application. She just got a driver liscense, after 2 years of trying. And, she has no clue of how to do anything with USCIS. I have done it all!

But, she now has a friend from Brazil, who secretly hates her USC husband, and tells her that she can do anything she wants. She does not need a USC husband

The lady has been in the US for more than 15 years, with a husband she hates.

No, I like this plan!

tom

Shirley n Jim

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Please remember that your I-864 obligations do not end with divorce or lapsing of green card. If she uses a means tested benefit you are still liable under the Affidavit of Support.

Brother TBoneTx hit the nail in the head. You want to document any behavior that you have alleged.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

You all do realize that you are trying to help this man screw over his functionally illiterate wife because he does not like her behaviour when there are MANY more responsible avenues he could be taking?!?!!? NOBODY just wakes up and goes off the deep end for no reason - seriously - this woman was not just born of demon spawn or anything.

I really do hope that this thread gets moved to the "Major Effects" forum so that he can get more constructive advice that he will perhaps listen to. That, or move it to OT because it's fairly pathetic now.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.