Obama 2012

Why did fees go so high this year?

33 posts in this topic

Let's be honest. Immigration laws and fees are complete BS. When you have the millions upon millions of hispanic illegals (and yes, i know there are others too) in this country, it's a damn shame that such a burden is put onto those who want to do things the proper way. It should be nothing more than a simple background check and then boom you're in. None of this other red-tape BS.

I'm sorry, but statements like that really irk me. When I look at other countries (the UK comes to mind!) who have little to no controls on their immigration policies - and how they are struggling with all the growing pains that overcrowded cities bring you - I am grateful for our system. Their problems will only get worse - at least we are trying and have SOME controls in place.

Is our system perfect - no - in some ways, far from it. Do I consider it a privilege and not a right to have brought my husband here - yes. That is why the fees don't phase me. It'd be great if they were cheaper, as we are all on tight budgets these days, but I consider it a price worth paying to have the life we want to have.

A simple background check and no other 'B.S'? Personally I don't want people here who are scamming US citizens into relationships for the sake of a green card. The fact that they may be 'otherwise' law abiding doesn't make that any less true for me. Does it put a burden of proof on me and my hubby? Yes. Do I mind proving something that is true? Not in the slightest. If the affidavit of support is one of those 'BS controls' - well, I'd rather not foot the bill for ANY duration of a scammer's life here in the US, but that's just me.

Taking immigration and it's processes as some kind of personal affront to you and your relationship is a lesson in futility. A few bad apples spoil the lot - that's true in life and certainly true in this process. The system does it's best to be fair, and if that happens to cause me to have to present more paperwork, then I don't consider that such a hardship.

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ agreed.

Immigration needs to be self-sufficient, IMO, as put by Congress.

It is NOT a right to become an American citizen or have permanent status here...

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

How else did you think Obama was going to pay for his health care plan? Dont worry we will see more fee increases accrost the board in the future.

Oct. 2008 met Sa on Thaikisses and started chatting

Nov. Started daily phone calls

Dec. 2008 started dating (Boyfriend/ Girlfriend)

May 5, 2009 May 11, 2009 Trip to Thailand

July 2009 Engaged

Aug 2009 started I-129F

Sept 22, 2009 mailed I-129F

Sept 24, 2009 check cashed

Sept 24, 2009 NOA 1 Dated

Sept 27, 2009 NOA 1 received (Hardcopy)

Dec. 18, 2009 NOA 2 Dated(no email)

Dec. 24, 2009 NOA 2 Hardcopy

Dec. 28, 2009 NVC received but not sent to Embassy

Dec. 28, 2009 Sa maied Packet 3 to Embassy

Dec. 29, 2009 NVC forward to Bangkok, Embassy. Tracking by DHL

Jan. 03, 2010 Received by Bangkok Embassy

Jan. 06, 2010 Received email from embassy interview is set for Jan22.

Jan. 22, 2010 Interview at BKK Embassy passed

Jan. 27, 2010 Picked up Visa

Its not about how you pick your nose its what you do with the booger!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
How else did you think Obama was going to pay for his health care plan? Dont worry we will see more fee increases accrost the board in the future.

Question: What does health care have to do with immigration fees? Answer: Nothing

This really isn't a republican/democrat issue.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

That's just ignorant (and I'm no Obama fan). As was previously mentioned in this very thread, USCIS is a self funding agency. They do not receive tax payer funds, hence the fees.

SA4userbar.jpg

That's just ignorant (and I'm no Obama fan). As was previously mentioned in this very thread, USCIS is a self funding agency. They do not receive tax payer funds, hence the fees.

Crickey, can you imagine the whoo haaa there would be if immigration were funded by taxpayers money?

I don't like paying 65% more BUT I'm not complaining about it because if it were government funded, it would be a verrrrrrrrrry slow process. Think it's bad now? And I like the way it can't be swayed by politics, except through legislation.

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Some of us just don't make as much money as some of you with the snobby attitude about it want us to.

How long would it take you to save $1500? If it does take a real long time, then as stated (and nothing snooty meant) maybe this long distance relationship stuff is just not for you, at this time.

Does that mean we should not have our shot at love?

Immigration laws and regulations have no concern about your love or emotions. They shouldn't.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

New here and hope to post here through the process. :)

I'm from Texas, my fiancee is from Toronto, Ontario.

I've been researching this whole process for awhile now and have thought that the fees are quite extreme and have come to realize that they went up substantially this year. From $190 to $455? From $350 for AOS to $930?

To me this sounds crazy and it's awfully hard for my fiancee and I to afford those fees all at once delaying the process even longer. We make good money to live off of, but not so much to drop that much extra money all at once, so we are quite stressed out by this whole process.

Why did the fees go up so much from what they were and has there been any benefit to this?

-Paul

The fees went up to help USCIS hire more people build new facilities one example USCIS just built a new facility in California just for i-601 waiver petitions from juarez mexico, it was taking 6 months to a year in addition to the waiting time for the -130 or other petitions processing times. Now the i-601 timelines have shortened drmatically. Also, they have increased staffing in all their service centers, built more service centers example texas used to only have one in dallas now they have two. These hikes are designed to cover the growing demand of petitions. They were also increased to revamp their systems and to clear the backlogs due to fbi background checks.

Now USCIS is a goverment agency but it isn't a true goverment agency. It is a quasi goverment/corporation type agency simular to the post office. USCIS doesn't get most of its money from the goverment to fund it's operations. It gets its funds from filing fees. When the current pricing model is not sufficient to cover it's expenses or expansions USCIS can't go to the goverment per say and ask for money they have to generate profits to keep operatiing That is the reasons why filing fees continue to rise. In 2010 the fees will rise again because USCIS is undergoing further expansions and personel changes thus needing more profits to fund these projects.

As much as it hurts to say this I beleive USCIS is justified in their plans because without it USCIS would be like the old INS we would be suffering from massive backlogs from months to years with no relief in sight.

Also, USCIs model is built on this premis Immigration Benefits are just that a benefit not a right. So the costs are born upon the customer requesting the benefits not the taxpayer. u may not like that idea but that's what it is. Thus why the customer shoulders the burden of an ever increasing prices to do business.

People complain about the price. but if the price was right people would complain about the waiting times. so either way people will always complain. Best USCIS triple their prices and be efficient. Versus keeping prices low and increase waiting times.

Ah, I had seen a couple of websites with updates showing the prices lower earlier this year, so that's why I thought it was so soon. Apparently those sites need to update themselves! :) lol.

In all honesty, it's just not that easy to save/put down the cash. It's fine for living wise and everything but some of us don't have the extra money to save up quickly enough to get our love here. It's not impossible to save, just hard with every other piled on bills. - Some of us just don't make as much money as some of you with the snobby attitude about it want us to.

Let's be honest. Immigration laws and fees are complete BS. When you have the millions upon millions of hispanic illegals (and yes, i know there are others too) in this country, it's a damn shame that such a burden is put onto those who want to do things the proper way. It should be nothing more than a simple background check and then boom you're in. None of this other red-tape BS.

My fiancee and I will get there soon enough and will be filing the initial I-129F in the next month or so, but doesn't mean we don't have to like the process as I'm sure many of you don't like the process either. We do what we have to do I suppose and we will continue to do so because we love each other and want to be together. In the end that's all that matters.

Go the CR-1 visa way and you'll cut down on cost AND get the GC right away.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Ah, I had seen a couple of websites with updates showing the prices lower earlier this year, so that's why I thought it was so soon. Apparently those sites need to update themselves! :) lol.

In all honesty, it's just not that easy to save/put down the cash. It's fine for living wise and everything but some of us don't have the extra money to save up quickly enough to get our love here. It's not impossible to save, just hard with every other piled on bills. - Some of us just don't make as much money as some of you with the snobby attitude about it want us to.

My fiancee and I will get there soon enough and will be filing the initial I-129F in the next month or so, but doesn't mean we don't have to like the process as I'm sure many of you don't like the process either. We do what we have to do I suppose and we will continue to do so because we love each other and want to be together. In the end that's all that matters.

If you enter into a long disatnce realtionship...and it could be a man in New York with a woman in California, there is going to be considerable expense involved...deal with it...or don't. It has nothing to do with your "shot at love" and that is such a lame excuse. Does your fiancee know you feel this way? If you prioritize your love you will not have a problem paying for it and the idea that someone else is obligated to pay for your shot at love is preposterous. If YOU do not pay for it, then someone else is. I have enough to do with paying for my own family, please pay for your own and stop whining. If you can't deal with it...let your fiancee know and marry the girl next door. No background check required.

I can assure you I never complained about the cost, didn't have any clue when the fees last increased (and didn't care because it is wholly irrelevent) and never batted an eye or thought twice at all the sacrifices I made to be able to pay for visiting my fiancee, paying for all the communications, helping my family in a foreign country and getting her and our sons here...it was my priority. (oh yeah, and that means all fees TIMES THREE...you do the math!) The government fees were only a small portion of the total expenses, and not even a signifcant fraction of the expenses of increasing my household size from 1 to 4. The fees wouldn't even make a laughable down payment!

If you are set back by the government fees, you will have a big problem when reality sets in.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Hi,

New here and hope to post here through the process. :)

I'm from Texas, my fiancee is from Toronto, Ontario.

I've been researching this whole process for awhile now and have thought that the fees are quite extreme and have come to realize that they went up substantially this year. From $190 to $455? From $350 for AOS to $930?

To me this sounds crazy and it's awfully hard for my fiancee and I to afford those fees all at once delaying the process even longer. We make good money to live off of, but not so much to drop that much extra money all at once, so we are quite stressed out by this whole process.

Why did the fees go up so much from what they were and has there been any benefit to this?

-Paul

The fees went up to help USCIS hire more people build new facilities one example USCIS just built a new facility in California just for i-601 waiver petitions from juarez mexico, it was taking 6 months to a year in addition to the waiting time for the -130 or other petitions processing times. Now the i-601 timelines have shortened drmatically. Also, they have increased staffing in all their service centers, built more service centers example texas used to only have one in dallas now they have two. These hikes are designed to cover the growing demand of petitions. They were also increased to revamp their systems and to clear the backlogs due to fbi background checks.

Now USCIS is a goverment agency but it isn't a true goverment agency. It is a quasi goverment/corporation type agency simular to the post office. USCIS doesn't get most of its money from the goverment to fund it's operations. It gets its funds from filing fees. When the current pricing model is not sufficient to cover it's expenses or expansions USCIS can't go to the goverment per say and ask for money they have to generate profits to keep operatiing That is the reasons why filing fees continue to rise. In 2010 the fees will rise again because USCIS is undergoing further expansions and personel changes thus needing more profits to fund these projects.

As much as it hurts to say this I beleive USCIS is justified in their plans because without it USCIS would be like the old INS we would be suffering from massive backlogs from months to years with no relief in sight.

Also, USCIs model is built on this premis Immigration Benefits are just that a benefit not a right. So the costs are born upon the customer requesting the benefits not the taxpayer. u may not like that idea but that's what it is. Thus why the customer shoulders the burden of an ever increasing prices to do business.

People complain about the price. but if the price was right people would complain about the waiting times. so either way people will always complain. Best USCIS triple their prices and be efficient. Versus keeping prices low and increase waiting times.

If you handed out $100 bills to passersby, some would complain they didn't like how you folded it!

Gary And Alla

Some of us just don't make as much money as some of you with the snobby attitude about it want us to.

How long would it take you to save $1500? If it does take a real long time, then as stated (and nothing snooty meant) maybe this long distance relationship stuff is just not for you, at this time.

Immigration laws and regulations have no concern about your love or emotions. They shouldn't.

Thank you for making my earlier point: "Every middle-aged, divorced man would like to have a young loving mail-order bride, but not every man can afford the postage." :innocent:

Go the CR-1 visa way and you'll cut down on cost AND get the GC right away.

The cheapest and quickest way sometimes is neither, in the end.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its just like everything else these days, prices have to increase to be able to maintain a certain service standard. If they kept the prices lower they wouldnt have as many workers or buildings which means much more waiting time, and no one would like that. In the last 2 years prices for food, gas, clothes and a bunch of other things have gone up too. Prices need to increase no matter what secter you are in to deal with the rise in manufacturing, wages and other things.

The thing that baffles me is how people complain about the people who put it plainly (no money, no honey) and say they are snobby because not everyone is rich. Do you think everyone out there is on a 50K+ salary? Theres a lot of people who save up just fine without making that much over the poverty limit, they just do what other people say, prioritize love over other things and get the money together. Or they get help with the fees. Theres tons of people here on VJ and lots more who arent that do this every day. I am the non-USC and I still see it as a priviledge to be able to come to the states to be with my honey. I am grateful that the government gives us this opportunity, and regardless of people who dont do things the right way (who very well may have to pay for that mistake) I am very comfortable knowing we are going through this the legal way. For me to look back at 2007 prices would be futile because they arent the same as they are now. Thats like pulling up to the gas station and telling them they dont think I deserve to drive to work because the cost of gas now is double what it was 6 years ago. They won't give a #######.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Exactly. I don't make tons and tons of money, but I knew the costs were coming and I did my best to save and have it available when I needed it.

If that makes me 'snooty', then so be it.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
Exactly. I don't make tons and tons of money, but I knew the costs were coming and I did my best to save and have it available when I needed it.

If that makes me 'snooty', then so be it.

Snooty Tracy! Brits can't be snooty can they? I thought they were "snobby".

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.