Mintchip

Explaining Visa process to friends and relatives

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
When people hear about the medical & vaccinations, police certificates, interview etc., I get a lot of "How come it's so complicated for you to go there"... like Im some special case. They always seem to know someone else who immigrated to the US and it was sooooo easy. :ranting:

Also, being Canadian, people think it should be really easy for me, seeing as we have the NAFTA and all. Lots of misconceptions, that's for sure.

Someone was mentioning movies and how they can give people the impression that it is a lot simpler then it actually is. Have you seen the Proposal? Sandra Bullock's character walks into the USCIS offices, cuts in front of the line demanding a fiance visa and gets her appointment set up for the following Monday! I was screaming at the TV!! :lol:

Love the idea of carrying a flowhart or a banner!

Sorry, I dont really have any tips, but it felt good to vent a little!

If only it worked like that....

Yeah, I had a few people tell me to watch the movie the "Green Card." I even had someone offer to pick it up for me. :jest:

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tell people that it's a three part process, and that I'm pretty much at the end of the second part. If they probe more, I tell them about the backlog at the consulate and the reason why the interview has to be done in Montreal etc. It's probably easier for me, the immigrant, than it is for my wife in terms of questions.

I must admit that I AM relishing the idea of moving to the U.S. Initially my wife and I had planned on having her immigrate up to Canada, but early this year I conceded that I could use a major change in my life, and moving to a different city in a different country certainly constitutes a major change!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Thank you!! I'm very proud of my country, and no it's not perfect, nowhere is, but really I don't want to live anywhere else. I've considered moving to other countries for work purposes, but it never crossed my mind to ever move to, work or study in the US. I'd much rather live in many other countries. My husband admits that London is a far nicer place to be, but unfortunately at the moment it's not very feasible for him to move here. I get so fed up of people saying that I must be desperate to become a US citizen - no, actually, I'm not, and I strongly suspect that I will not. However, when you ask these same people if they'd consider moving to another country for their spouse, let alone becoming a citizen, the answer is nearly always, 'are you out of your mind?'!!

I was actually planning to move to Scotland but then my husband decided he would feel more comfortable moving here than me moving there. My kid's are still at home and I had planned to move once they were both out of school. It did not take long befofe we realised even months apart is too much. He is making a huge sacrifice for me. He will always be Scottish first, British, European and then should he decide to become a citizen American. If he chooses not to that it completely his choice. People seem to think he is coming from the highland's as they were several hundred yrs ago. I am trying really hard ot to allow other people's ignorance to get to me because sometimes they just can't help themselves! :whistle:

And if I hear "OH, I though since you two where married he automatically gets citizenship" one more time I thought I would shove a shoe where the sun dont shine!!!

Yeah, we just thought we'd spend the next 7 months apart... you know? For fun!?

USCIS

09-12-09 : I-130 Sent

09-21-09 : NOA1

01-26-10 : NOA2

127 days @ USCIS

NVC

02-01-10 : NVC receives case / Case number assigned / Gave e-mail addresses to operator

02-05-10 : Received DS-3032 & AOS bill / Sent DS-3032 (E-mail) / Paid AOS Bill

02-07-10 : Sent DS-3032 (Snail Mail)

02-09-10 : AOS fee showing PAID

02-11-10 : DS-3032 Delivered to NVC / E-mail confirmation DS-3032 (signed by JESUS)

02-12-10 : IV Bill generated

02-19-10 : IV Bill paid

02-26-10 : AoS package & DS-230 Sent

03-02-10 : AoS package & DS-230 received at 4:11am (Signed by RUDOLPH)

03-05-10 : AVR Updated - Received DS-230

03-16-10 : 3 RFE's received (Incorrect Police Certificate DS230 / I-864 / I-864A

05-20-10 : CASE COMPLETE & SIGN IN FAIL

05-22-10 : New RFE checklist received stating ONLY I-864A needs to be resent.

05-23-10 : Called NVC. AVR claimed our case was 'COMPLETE'

05-26-10 : Interview date set for 07-20-2010

115 days @ NVC

242 DAYS TOTAL SO FAR

US CONSULATE (SYDNEY)

07-12-10 : Medical @ 10am

07-20-10 : Interview @ 9am VISA APPROVED

07-26-10 : VISA IN HAND!!!!!

08-10-10 : P.O.E. Los Angeles

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

If not all, then most of you were probably like my husband and I....not having a clue that falling for each other would take us on this "long and winding road." It was far easier for me to move to the UK, and I did so, for 3.5 years. It was a wonderful experience although difficult on so many levels. I left behind family, friends, my job and an easier way of life. Therefore, I am well aware of what my husband faces by moving here to the US whenever he gets that focus-of-our-lives-VISA.

Thanks again for the many terrific responses. At least we are all in the same boat. One thing is for sure, it doesn't matter where you live or who you are, people are all the same.

IR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Met: 2004-07-12

Marriage : 2006-06-22

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-15

I-130 Approval : 2009-08-18

NVC Received : 2009-09-02

Paid AOS fee: 2009-09-07

Mailed AOS packet: 2009-10-08

Receive IV Bill : 2009-10-29

Pay IV Bill : 2009-10-29

Packet received: 2010-04-07

Packet lost in the mail: 2010-06-01

Packet resent: 2010-06-16

Packet delivered to NVC: 2010-06-22

Packet entered into NVC system: 2010-06-28

RFE: 2010-08-10

Documents received: 2010-08-18

Notice of Interview Date: 2010-09-13

Medical: 2010-10-19

Interview Date: 2010-10-26 - DENIED

I-601 Waiver Application Mailed: 2011-02-17

Receipt of Waiver Application Notice: 2011-02-23

I-601 Waiver APPROVAL Notice: 2011-10-10

Passport returned with visa attached: 2012-01-24

Move to USA: 2012-02-29!

And if I hear "OH, I though since you two where married he automatically gets citizenship" one more time I thought I would shove a shoe where the sun dont shine!!!

Oh yeah, that one too! I hear all the time, "When is he going to get a job?' What's wrong if he doesn't get a job? I don't care!

I hear that one too. He cant even apply because we have no idea when he will get a green card,social sec # or be able to move. Would you hire someone who told you that at the interview? duh :wacko:

oh yes he can apply. The IR1/CR1 stamp in his visa made him eligible to work the instant he set foot in the US.

I understand the way it works but I am telling you that no employer is going to do an interview and hire someone who has NO IDEA when he will be able to move to the US. It could be 6 months or 5 yrs we have NO IDEA!!!!

OH OK my mistake. I was thinking you were talking about when SO is here and not working yet.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Oh yeah, that one too! I hear all the time, "When is he going to get a job?' What's wrong if he doesn't get a job? I don't care!

I hear that one too. He cant even apply because we have no idea when he will get a green card,social sec # or be able to move. Would you hire someone who told you that at the interview? duh :wacko:

oh yes he can apply. The IR1/CR1 stamp in his visa made him eligible to work the instant he set foot in the US.

I understand the way it works but I am telling you that no employer is going to do an interview and hire someone who has NO IDEA when he will be able to move to the US. It could be 6 months or 5 yrs we have NO IDEA!!!!

OH OK my mistake. I was thinking you were talking about when SO is here and not working yet.

That's what I meant at least! People ask what he's going to do for a job, when will he get one when he moves here, blah blah blah.

I now tell everyone he's retiring! Yes, at 46 years old! That usually shuts them up! ha! Seems like everyone's so old-fashioned that they still think a man has to work. He doesn't need to work when he moves here and I really don't care if he sits around all day eating bon bons and watching soaps!

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Someone asked me how come if I have an american son Im not automaticly accepted hihihi....

Things like:"when you second baby will be born in the US you'll get automaticly a green card" .. so I ask :"WHY?" and the answer is "THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT TO YOU, THEY CANT SAY NO".... Just people doesnt look into it.. And noone like to read about anything they are not interested into...

An American I know accidentally got a Peruvian girl pregnant. She found out and told him right before she left to start law school in her country. I was shocked by the number of people who accused her of getting pregnant on purpose or lying about being pregnant, supposedly so she could automatically get her citizenship because the father would be American! I felt so sorry for the poor girl. Comments like "girls from these countries are dying to get pregnant from American men"... Appalling. I kind of feel sick writing this!

This is the kind of thing that gets at me. A lot of Americans seem to think that everyone in the world born outside of the U.S. desperately wants to come here and will do anything to make that happen. It seems unfathomable to them that some people might actually be perfectly happy living in the country they were born and raised in.

People often ask me if my wife is happy to be coming here, and if she's always dreamed of coming to America. My wife is a very traditional Filipina (something I truly love about her, by the way), and is very close to her family and friends. We've talked before about how we wish I could come there to live with her instead, but it's not feasible right now. I can't imagine how my wife will react when she gets over here and hears people casually cursing in public. She's also never been so far from the people she loves before.

People don't seem to think about everything an immigrant gives up by coming to America - their entire life, for the most part!

you r absolutely right.. It took 8 years for me to take this decision, just because we had a really easy life here in italy... But she was not happy, and with a small baby and another one on the way it was time to give it a shout in the us... And everybody is getting crazy because "ill be american".... Even if for me and my family this was absolutely unnecessary...

Whatever the right thing to do is to ignore everybody... After all the main reason enerybody here is moving is for the family.... And that is a right reason

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Naples Italy

Marriage: 2005-02-13

I-130 Sent: 2009-01-20

I-130 Approved: 2009-08-18

NVC Received: 2009-08-XX

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-08-31

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-04

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-09-21

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-22

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-09

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-15

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-18

NVC received : 2009-09-25

NVC LOG IN FAILED : 2009-10-03 AAAAAAA!!!!?!!?!?!

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-10-05

NVC Left : 2009-10-13

Interview Date : 2009-11-17

Visa Received :

US Entry :

JUST SOME MORE TIME AND IT WILL BE OVER!!!!

No. I've had people ask me now why he doesn't just get a job and move while we wait for the visa. :bonk:

Yeah, we just thought we'd spend the next 7 months apart... you know? For fun!?

:rofl:

That's what I meant at least! People ask what he's going to do for a job, when will he get one when he moves here, blah blah blah.

I now tell everyone he's retiring! Yes, at 46 years old! That usually shuts them up! ha! Seems like everyone's so old-fashioned that they still think a man has to work. He doesn't need to work when he moves here and I really don't care if he sits around all day eating bon bons and watching soaps!

Shhhh....... mine would love to be watching his soaps. :rofl:

I actually need to find a way to get them here.

Thank you!! I'm very proud of my country, and no it's not perfect, nowhere is, but really I don't want to live anywhere else. I've considered moving to other countries for work purposes, but it never crossed my mind to ever move to, work or study in the US. I'd much rather live in many other countries. My husband admits that London is a far nicer place to be, but unfortunately at the moment it's not very feasible for him to move here. I get so fed up of people saying that I must be desperate to become a US citizen - no, actually, I'm not, and I strongly suspect that I will not. However, when you ask these same people if they'd consider moving to another country for their spouse, let alone becoming a citizen, the answer is nearly always, 'are you out of your mind?'!!

I was actually planning to move to Scotland but then my husband decided he would feel more comfortable moving here than me moving there. My kid's are still at home and I had planned to move once they were both out of school. It did not take long befofe we realised even months apart is too much. He is making a huge sacrifice for me. He will always be Scottish first, British, European and then should he decide to become a citizen American. If he chooses not to that it completely his choice. People seem to think he is coming from the highland's as they were several hundred yrs ago. I am trying really hard ot to allow other people's ignorance to get to me because sometimes they just can't help themselves! :whistle:

So true!! I get that sometimes - oh you must be so grateful coming from the Old World to California blah blah blah - no actually, I'm not!! I'm leaving behind my family, my friends, my fledgeling career, my way of life...but what I am not leaving behind is some backward dump - I'm leaving central London and all that it has to offer, and while it might be too big and busy (and crowded) for some, no one in their right mind can argue that it's anything but backward!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

My husband would rather spend the rest our lives in Finland! He loves it so much! I had to agree to visit Finland twice a year with him after he moves here...people just don't get it!!!! Not everyone in the world thinks the US is #1!!!!

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

My husband would rather spend the rest our lives in Finland! He loves it so much! I had to agree to visit Finland twice a year with him after he moves here...people just don't get it!!!! Not everyone in the world thinks the US is #1!!!!

Thats right... Only people from the US thinks that US is #1 :whistle:

USCIS

09-12-09 : I-130 Sent

09-21-09 : NOA1

01-26-10 : NOA2

127 days @ USCIS

NVC

02-01-10 : NVC receives case / Case number assigned / Gave e-mail addresses to operator

02-05-10 : Received DS-3032 & AOS bill / Sent DS-3032 (E-mail) / Paid AOS Bill

02-07-10 : Sent DS-3032 (Snail Mail)

02-09-10 : AOS fee showing PAID

02-11-10 : DS-3032 Delivered to NVC / E-mail confirmation DS-3032 (signed by JESUS)

02-12-10 : IV Bill generated

02-19-10 : IV Bill paid

02-26-10 : AoS package & DS-230 Sent

03-02-10 : AoS package & DS-230 received at 4:11am (Signed by RUDOLPH)

03-05-10 : AVR Updated - Received DS-230

03-16-10 : 3 RFE's received (Incorrect Police Certificate DS230 / I-864 / I-864A

05-20-10 : CASE COMPLETE & SIGN IN FAIL

05-22-10 : New RFE checklist received stating ONLY I-864A needs to be resent.

05-23-10 : Called NVC. AVR claimed our case was 'COMPLETE'

05-26-10 : Interview date set for 07-20-2010

115 days @ NVC

242 DAYS TOTAL SO FAR

US CONSULATE (SYDNEY)

07-12-10 : Medical @ 10am

07-20-10 : Interview @ 9am VISA APPROVED

07-26-10 : VISA IN HAND!!!!!

08-10-10 : P.O.E. Los Angeles

So true!! I get that sometimes - oh you must be so grateful coming from the Old World to California blah blah blah - no actually, I'm not!! I'm leaving behind my family, my friends, my fledgeling career, my way of life...but what I am not leaving behind is some backward dump - I'm leaving central London and all that it has to offer, and while it might be too big and busy (and crowded) for some, no one in their right mind can argue that it's anything but backward!

:yes:

I think we will be going back Scotland a lot more often than that!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was sitting at the airport waiting for my flight in tears after getting married and leaving pakistan and my hubby behind some old lady came over and asked me where are you going?? I said home I just got married she said why isn't your husband coming with you??? She told me that since I am a US citizen I just need to show my passport to the pakistan embassy and bring my hubby to the USA i was like ok lady :blush: lolz

"All we really need to survive is the one person who truly loves us."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.