Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My mom was friends with a guy who's parents actually named him Jack Frost.

My ex-bf's grandmother's name was Mary Christmas. Her family would call the nursing home to speak with her, and new employees who hadn't learned the resident's names yet would always think it was a prank call and hang up on them. :lol: I've also met a boy named Sue, and went to school with a kid named Harry #######.

My vent of the day: :angry:

I work with kids, and as such I hear a lot of grumbled insults. Those don't really bother me, because teenagers are supposed to be sort of grumbly and angsty, and I'm just the nearest adult to blame for life being difficult (particularly when I enforce rules like "Don't throw shoes" and "pool sticks aren't weapons!"). Well, last week a bunch of our kids got kicked off the church bus that picks them up (some of them go from our youth center to a church youth group) for smoking on the bus. Then I find two new (fist-size) holes in our walls in various places throughout our building. Then one of my kids got really mouthy with one of my volunteers. REALLY mouthy.

All of that led up to yesterday, when I had to deal with an irate parent, a really angry member of our board of directors, and had a roomfull of insanity (teens). As I was cleaning up at the end of the day, thinking how nice it was to have a quiet room again, I noticed a scratched portion of one of the computer desks. I moved the mousepad and keyboard to investigate and there in 2" tall letters was engraved "SCOOTER IS A CVNT" (Obviously, it was my real name and not Scooter, but meh).

I am not amused. Kids are losing computer privs. until someone coughs up a name. Insult me all you want, but don't destroy our property while you're at it.

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Timeline

Additional vent:

WHAT THE HECK PEOPLE?! QUIT DYING! Another of my classmates from High School died of a heart attack, just read his obituary. This is my 3rd friend in the last few years to die of a heart attack, all under the age of 25. Our graduating class was just under 100, and we're down to around 90 now. Jeez :(

Timeline for Spoom

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

Oh my that is horrible. I would definately be taking computers away. So many kids these days only care about themselves.

My mom was friends with a guy who's parents actually named him Jack Frost.

My ex-bf's grandmother's name was Mary Christmas. Her family would call the nursing home to speak with her, and new employees who hadn't learned the resident's names yet would always think it was a prank call and hang up on them. :lol: I've also met a boy named Sue, and went to school with a kid named Harry #######.

My vent of the day: :angry:

I work with kids, and as such I hear a lot of grumbled insults. Those don't really bother me, because teenagers are supposed to be sort of grumbly and angsty, and I'm just the nearest adult to blame for life being difficult (particularly when I enforce rules like "Don't throw shoes" and "pool sticks aren't weapons!"). Well, last week a bunch of our kids got kicked off the church bus that picks them up (some of them go from our youth center to a church youth group) for smoking on the bus. Then I find two new (fist-size) holes in our walls in various places throughout our building. Then one of my kids got really mouthy with one of my volunteers. REALLY mouthy.

All of that led up to yesterday, when I had to deal with an irate parent, a really angry member of our board of directors, and had a roomfull of insanity (teens). As I was cleaning up at the end of the day, thinking how nice it was to have a quiet room again, I noticed a scratched portion of one of the computer desks. I moved the mousepad and keyboard to investigate and there in 2" tall letters was engraved "SCOOTER IS A CVNT" (Obviously, it was my real name and not Scooter, but meh).

I am not amused. Kids are losing computer privs. until someone coughs up a name. Insult me all you want, but don't destroy our property while you're at it.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think sometimes they do things like that because their parents/guardians have never forced them to clean up their own destruction.

I know when I was growing up, if I acted out, I knew full well that after I was punished I was cleaning up anything I did.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Timeline
I think sometimes they do things like that because their parents/guardians have never forced them to clean up their own destruction.

I know when I was growing up, if I acted out, I knew full well that after I was punished I was cleaning up anything I did.

The board members are sanding down the desk before other students see it - tonight's middle school night, and I don't need the 6th graders thinking it's cool or funny or even remotely okay.

The kids at the youth center are required to clean up their own mess. They try to weasel out of it, but I usually know who was sitting where, and send them back to clean up their tables. We also have kids serving community service (for fighting, having ciggarettes in school, fighting, drugs, curfew violations...did I mention fighting?) with us on a regular basis, so they tend to clean up anything that the other kids missed.

A lot of the kids we get are "At-risk" students whose parents aren't around after school. A lot of these kids are from low income, single parent environments where it's impossible for them to be properly supervised....that's why they come to the youth center. It's a drop-in program, but the kids know there's stuff to do and it's warm and their friends are there. There's also food, that's a big draw :) Unfortunately, that means I spend as much or more time correcting "problem" behaviors as I do hanging out with the good kids. We've seen some great progress with some of the kids, but others are just pains. We can kick them out, and we do, but they just come back a day/week later with the same attitude, only upped a notch because they've been gone a week. Plus, kicking a kid out for a week or longer more or less makes them a hero to everyone else, because obviously it's cool to get kicked out of the one place your community gives you to hang out.

:angry:

Timeline for Spoom

Timeline
My vent is quite silly actually ....

I am turning 35 on Saturday and am actually a bit bothered by that. All of a sudden, I feel old. Ridiculous, right? And my vent is that I am annoyed with myself for feeling this way.

yeah I know the feeling.. I turned 35 back in May.. I know I am not old but that number makes me feel ancient.. and then I think wow, it is only 5 years to 40 :o and it doesn't help having a husband who is still under 30 :P

Awww... Marilyn, we were born 5 days apart!

Well Ravenesque, Im 35 (and a half!), childless and NOA2less.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Lol Stupid vent here but a vent nonetheless...I went to the Red Wings vs Coyotes game last night and parking in Detroit cost $15 friggin dollars. You can buy a house in the city limits there for $18,000 so I think using that as a benchmark parking should've cost me $2.50 and the parking structure should be heated, that is all lol.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Lol Stupid vent here but a vent nonetheless...I went to the Red Wings vs Coyotes game last night and parking in Detroit cost $15 friggin dollars. You can buy a house in the city limits there for $18,000 so I think using that as a benchmark parking should've cost me $2.50 and the parking structure should be heated, that is all lol.

Well a house here in Calgary costs around $240,000 - for a small house, under 1000 sq ft and my Husband pays $25 a day for parking at work - so yeah, they are ripping you off :lol:

Well a house here in Calgary costs around $240,000 - for a small house, under 1000 sq ft and my Husband pays $25 a day for parking at work - so yeah, they are ripping you off :lol:

Hahaha I couldn't even believe it, there are probably 8 people living within the city limits now and they wonder why no one is going to the professional games anymore. I'm pretty sure I could park in one of the 1,000 abandoned lots and just pay the local hobo $5 bucks to make sure no one pees on my car hahaha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am turning 35 on Saturday and am actually a bit bothered by that. All of a sudden, I feel old. Ridiculous, right? And my vent is that I am annoyed with myself for feeling this way.

Woooooow, thats ancient. My birthday is a week after yours. :blush: 30 really snuck up on my, and i've spent the last 4 years, 50 weeks and 3 days denying it :lol:

Timeline

Parking in Chicago is at least $40/day. :angry: Hubby and I are heading to Chicago for the holidays soon and expect the parking bill to be $240 for the week.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Just to add to the consolation, Ravenesque...

My wife is 32 right now, and we're not planning on trying for kids until she's about 35. We kind of want to get established in our careers and as a couple and have two or three years of pure partnership before we get on with starting a family. I think it's a lot more common nowadays...and that makes sense, given that life expectancy is higher than it was in previous generations. There's not as much stigma to having kids while in that 35 - 40 range. Slightly more risk for birth defects, sure, but when it comes to having children these days, 35 is the new 20. ;)

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah I know the feeling.. I turned 35 back in May.. I know I am not old but that number makes me feel ancient.. and then I think wow, it is only 5 years to 40 :o and it doesn't help having a husband who is still under 30 :P

Awww... Marilyn, we were born 5 days apart!

Well Ravenesque, Im 35 (and a half!), childless and NOA2less.

same here but i do have my 10 year green card so I guess that is a plus :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

God, guys...

I am so tired. So very, very, very tired. I have so much stuff to do that it's crazy. My freelance gig picked up and I have two assignments this week plus day job plus weekend job. Gah.

I also have a billion social events this week as well. It's not bad but holy #######, I am freaking tired.

I am really looking forward to the holidays and not having too many obligations to fulfill. I would like to sleep and hang out a bit.

/rant

but a good rant.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

God, guys...

I am so tired. So very, very, very tired. I have so much stuff to do that it's crazy. My freelance gig picked up and I have two assignments this week plus day job plus weekend job. Gah.

I also have a billion social events this week as well. It's not bad but holy #######, I am freaking tired.

I am really looking forward to the holidays and not having too many obligations to fulfill. I would like to sleep and hang out a bit.

/rant

but a good rant.

It's so funny...I kinda wish I was busier! I'm not going stir-crazy (yet...), but I sorta wish I could go to a few Xmas parties and hang out with friends during the day etc. As it stands, I've been finding reasons to leave the house every day, which breaks things up a bit (which is good)...but frankly, that interview date can't come soon enough! I'm looking forward to getting working again and just starting the next phase of my life with my wife!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.