Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My vent:

The new mammography guidelines in the US. #######!!! Women 40-49 should not be getting annual mammograms unless they're at risk??? Women 50-74 every 2 years?!?!?!

What the hell are these doctors thinking?

Actually I was kind of surprised when I heard that this morning - but for the opposite reason that I thought that was already the recommendation - but I guess that's because that is already the recommendation in Canada.

I don't know if the new U.S. recommendations are because of insurance company lobbying or a genuine recommendation based on studies.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My vent:

The new mammography guidelines in the US. #######!!! Women 40-49 should not be getting annual mammograms unless they're at risk??? Women 50-74 every 2 years?!?!?!

That is so awful, I heard about that this morning. How could they do that, when so many women catch breast cancer early through mammograms and not self exams?

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Nope, it was always annual exams for anyone 40 and over. I just think after all these years drilling into the minds of women to get the mammograms done every year, they go and do this. The recommending doctors even have said they aren't sure this will be as successful as the annual exam campaign.

My vent:

That is so awful, I heard about that this morning. How could they do that, when so many women catch breast cancer early through mammograms and not self exams?

One of the excuses was that younger women have denser breast tissue so there are more false negatives. I'd rather have a false negative then go undiagnosed.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
I'm going to say that that will most likely be the outcome from this.

Yup... On the news this morning, one doctor said that this will surely lead to a higher death rate in women.....

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

You deserve Quote of the Day for this, my friend...

:)

I laughed. Out loud.

I'm getting in a spaceship and leaving this planet.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

It was a big story on the news last night and when I heard it, I about spit my dinner out. That was followed by me yelling at the TV. Un-freakin-believable! They made a big to-do about how the doctors that decided to change the guidelines are the best in the world and all I could hear in my head was a voice wondering if my government or insurance company somehow conned them into doing this.

The reasoning that the news centered around was that there are millions spent on unnecessary mammograms and biopsies. Maybe it's just me, but I think I'd rather have procedures that they later find out are unnecessary just to make sure I'm okay. When they interviewed the head of the Cancer Society, he was mega pissed.

I had a baseline earlier this year (I'm 39), but who knows, maybe that will be the last one my insurance pays for until I'm 50. Geez. For years and years they pound it into our heads that we need to do this and they extol the virtues of it by showing statistics about how many lives it's saved. Then one day they tell us we don't need to? Ugh. :wacko:

Okay, I'm done venting now. :)

Timeline
You deserve Quote of the Day for this, my friend...

:)

I laughed. Out loud.

I'm getting in a spaceship and leaving this planet.

I aim to please. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My question would be, what makes someone "at risk" - family history? I think that Dr.'s will be able to get around this by just claiming their patients are at risk. Well, I hope so anyways.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
My question would be, what makes someone "at risk" - family history? I think that Dr.'s will be able to get around this by just claiming their patients are at risk. Well, I hope so anyways.

At risk is family history or a genetic marker.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Not to take the subject away from this, as I think it's an important topic, and would love to chime in my opinion re: the mammograms....

I must digress and unleash this vent.

My f'ing car dealership just screwed me out of $100. Last month, after a huge hassle in its own right, I bought out my car at the end of the lease (do NOT get me started on how much that f'ing sucked to do... let's just say my car was between 2 different shops for 5 days in a row). I had a full extended warranty on the car while it was leased, and this warranty ran out November 10th (despite me being well well under my kms, but that's another beef). NOVEMBER 10 people... that's exactly ONE WEEK AGO. Remember that part.

When I bought out the car I got another warranty for a year, and this warranty apparently has a $100 deductible that my salesman really neglected to tell me about. I was shocked to find out about this, because it was NOT mentioned to me at all, and I didn't remember signing anything to that effect. When I got home to check on my paperwork, the was a hand written scribble, amongst other scribbles on my bill of sale that read '100 ded'. Apparently that was there way of telling me. It was not mentioned anywhere else in any paperwork that I signed. And I READ through it. My prior warranty, which, as we recall, expired ONE WEEK AGO, had $0 deductible. Had my jerk-face salesman brought that to my attention I could've had the issue fixed prior to last week instead of waiting for a time that was better for me (I've been busy getting ready for the interview and trip to Montreal, and really tight for $ lately, and work full time, and the place's hours suck so it's hard for me to get in there). I'm just really pissed. Like f'ing seriously... ONE WEEK, and now I'm not sure I can make the full payment on my wedding dress in time, and don't know where to get grocery money from. $100 isn't a lot for some people, but for me, it really makes a difference. And knowing that ONE WEEK AGO, I wouldn't have had to pay it, had someone been upfront and honest with me just really infuriates me.

If you want to turn this into a discussion about leasing vs buying, just please don't.... 4 years ago, when I decided to lease my life was very different, and headed in a very different direction. Leasing made absolute sense at the time for me. Will I lease again? Never. Do I still think that at the time, given the current situation that leasing made sense? At the time... yes. Now, no. But hindsight is 20-20.

Anyways... in short... Screw cars and screw salesmen who leave out vital information.

The end.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

That's really crappy Ashen, sorry you're having a hard time. I've heard a lot of horror stories about buying out of leases and car dealerships taking people out to the cleaners. Its just horrible they can get away with stuff like that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.