Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can I just vent about weird landlords! My fiance' had his apartment flood last night because the hot water heater in his apartment sprung a leak. He was planning to get rid of some things but not for another couple of months. Now he has to because they are water logged beyond reclamation. His land lady doesn't want to put rugs back in his basement apartment. Thinks the concrete is just fine! Uh, no, actually carpet is nicer to walk around on. Uh. At least the water didn't ruin is home entertainment equipment or get to his bedroom but yikes, I am not looking forward to visiting and walking on cement!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can I just vent about weird landlords! My fiance' had his apartment flood last night because the hot water heater in his apartment sprung a leak. He was planning to get rid of some things but not for another couple of months. Now he has to because they are water logged beyond reclamation. His land lady doesn't want to put rugs back in his basement apartment. Thinks the concrete is just fine! Uh, no, actually carpet is nicer to walk around on. Uh. At least the water didn't ruin is home entertainment equipment or get to his bedroom but yikes, I am not looking forward to visiting and walking on cement!

Yuck - that's horrible. I'm glad everything wasn't ruined but still, it's not fun to deal with water damage.

If the landlady doesn't want to take care of putting in new carpeting, maybe he can see if she would be willing to pick up the cost of an inexpensive second hand carpet or rug for the living room area from GoodWill or someplace like that, at least until it is time for him to move out. If she isn't, still, the cost might be reasonable enough that he would be wiling to do it for himself. Cold concrete isn't lots of fun nor is it very comfortable.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yuck - that's horrible. I'm glad everything wasn't ruined but still, it's not fun to deal with water damage.

If the landlady doesn't want to take care of putting in new carpeting, maybe he can see if she would be willing to pick up the cost of an inexpensive second hand carpet or rug for the living room area from GoodWill or someplace like that, at least until it is time for him to move out. If she isn't, still, the cost might be reasonable enough that he would be wiling to do it for himself. Cold concrete isn't lots of fun nor is it very comfortable.

This reminds me of the first apartment I ever lived in after moving out of my parents house for college. It had shag. OLD shag.. probably original. :blink: Like, from the 70s.

So some friends and I ripped it up for the landlord and he replaced it for me. :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I managed to burn both of my arms in the sun today, and got about fifty sand flea bites all over them.

I then came home and kitty decided that the burnt skin was incredibly tasty.. and hasn't left them alone. :(

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

I managed to burn both of my arms in the sun today, and got about fifty sand flea bites all over them.

I then came home and kitty decided that the burnt skin was incredibly tasty.. and hasn't left them alone. :(

lol! I love kitties!!!! :luv: Sorry, I know that was a vent, but srsly cute.

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

I HATE GPS. When my husband and I made our cross country drive in the US we used maps and only maps, and did just fine. And it was a lot of fun figuring it out on our own actually. In fact, one day we were ready to stop for the night, and made it past our planned destination, but not quite to our back up destination, and he was about to look up hotels on his iPhone because we weren't familiar with the small town we ended up in, and I was like 'well I saw a Days Inn just off the overpass', and he's like OK! Let's go there!

Use your eyes people. YOUR EYES. Look at the world around you, not the mini-screen.

:thumbs: I'm in the GPS drives me crazy club. I have one but it always chooses the strangest routes. I'd rather use a map. What I do use it for is to watch my speed. I tend to have a heavy foot so when I see the MPH in bright red I know I need to lighten up on the pedal :) ( Still not used to the MPH on my new car so when I see 80 I'm thinking 80 km/hr not MPH.)

My husband constantly uses the GPS to find "a better route" even if he's going somewhere he's been a million times. Drives me absolutely crazy!!!

+1

Metric system makes much more sense, and makes things easier to convert. The U.S. was supposed to convert to metric when Canada did, but backed out. I just set the thremometer in my car to celcius and refer to it in celcius. Just makes things easier for Mel.

For some reason I use Celsius in the winter months and Fahrenheit in the summer :wacko: .

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I like the GPS to a certain degree. Comes in very handy when out looking for houses! Out of boredom Ichnaged the voice to mine,lol And of course added my own "flare" to it! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I like the GPS to a certain degree. Comes in very handy when out looking for houses! Out of boredom Ichnaged the voice to mine,lol And of course added my own "flare" to it! lol

Heeeeyyy.... turn left heerrrre baby... oh yeah... that's the spot.

like that?

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

Yikes, that's awful! Back in my parents home in Canada a couple years ago we had a big basement flood when the city storm drains backed up into our basement. We had well over 2 feet of water in our basement... which was also my bedroom! I lost a lot of stuff, it was horrible. My parents ended up taking up the carpet with the intention of replacing it, but that didn't happen... I had to deal with the concrete floor and some area rugs for almost 2 years. Thankfully I wasn't paying any rent, otherwise I would have boycotted! :P I really wouldn't put up with that attitude from the landlord. He's paying rent to live in a comfortable apartment, not a soaked rug less pit! Not very cool! Your feet are cold all the time!

As far as the GPS thing goes... I must admit... I'm a complete slave to my GPS. Without it I am lost and scared.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yea I heard you can do that, IF I were to have a GPS I would want Stephen Hawking to tell me where to go.

why not the voice of cap kirk? or picard? "engage, full speed ahead!"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

We have a GPS. I am not fussy about it, but Joe really likes it. We took it with us to Houston when we were visiting Joe's family and programmed in the address of a favourite used bookstore. We followed the directions of the GPS although they seemed strange and started us off in the wrong direction. About 10 miles away we figured that the GPS had no idea of how to get to where we wanted to go and turned around. Then, for the next 10 miles back it kept telling us at every street to turn right and go in the opposite direction! Even when we turned into the parking lot of the bookstore at the exact address we had programmed in, it still told us to turn around and go the opposite direction! :P

Joe likes to use it but I really find it more of a nuisance than anything else. It is kind of neat to see the geographical features in the area displayed, though - it shows lakes and streams and county divisions and such - so that is cool. I also don't like when it issues it's 'warning' when I go over the speed limit - especially when all the other traffic is passing me :no:. Plus, it keeps falling off the windshield. :(

Friends of mine do Geo-caching though, and when they visited for a week we spent several days finding local geo-caches using the GPS - now that was fun! Of course, it didn't tell you how to get to the geo-cache - just when you were near it and then you had to triangulate in on it instead.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I managed to burn my torso and back, and upper legs through a suntanning bed today......wow, am I pink!! :huh:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.