Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sigh. So my copy of Microsoft Office (2003 version) aparently hates vista, so my wife is unable to install it in her computer. So I am sitting here at work, recreating her resume. I suddenly realized how much I hate filling out resume's. This process is further complicated by my wife's insistance on telling the truth all the time. I keep telling her that everyone lies on their resumes. Aparently not everyone does. :lol: I keep typing out these exaggerated descriptions of her job duties at previous jobs and end up deleting it because i know she'll kick me in the butt.

Lived thru hundreds of snow storms, doesnt scare me! When the earth starts to shake, that scares me! lol And yes I have felt the earth shake, a small tremble in Victoria. That was enough!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
I keep telling her that everyone lies on their resumes.

They do? :o How in the world would you get away with it? I think this calls for a poll!

I can't lie on my resume either, but I have had friends put me down on theirs and lied about who I was and and who they were. Getting a call from someone thinking I was the manager at a Winners was probably the funniest of all. Like give me a heads up at least!

OMG, I would DIE!! :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't lie on my resume either - fortunately, since my references and work experience get checked :) . There is a way to write things so that they appear positive and are still accurate and truthful, however, and I do, do that.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The phone rings. I pick it up. The voice says "Your call is very important to us so please stay on the line while we transfer your call to a representative". I hang up. They called me but obviously my call is not important enough to them to actually have the representative make the call. I am getting at least one call a day. The number is blocked. I think next time I will wait for the representative, tell them that I am obviously NOT important to them - and then remind them that we are on the no-call list so what are they doing calling this number? Then hang up. Yeah, that works.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
They do? :o How in the world would you get away with it? I think this calls for a poll!

I guess lie is too broad of a word. I would instead use exaggerate. I've exaggerated on my resume, mostly by just making my responsibilities sound better and more in depth than they really were.

LoL Nev, I've done that, and I was suggesting that Mel do that. She doesn't want to do it. I really don't think most places that she's going to apply will even ask for references once they find out that they all will include an international phone call.

The phone rings. I pick it up. The voice says "Your call is very important to us so please stay on the line while we transfer your call to a representative". I hang up. They called me but obviously my call is not important enough to them to actually have the representative make the call. I am getting at least one call a day. The number is blocked. I think next time I will wait for the representative, tell them that I am obviously NOT important to them - and then remind them that we are on the no-call list so what are they doing calling this number? Then hang up. Yeah, that works.

Do it! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since there is no point venting about the weather, I will make an official vent over my future WIL.

Everyone who has been following our degenerating relationship will know that she and I just hate each other. But I try really hard to make things work with her... after all, she will be the aunt to my future children and in the future I have to buy her spawns Christmas presents.

So when she writes about being snowed in on facebook, I leave a message on her wall asking about their snowed in condition. The witch never replies. She has, however, updated her status 5 times and uploaded a boat load of new pictures. And replied to the other comments she's received from her wall. :blink:

I cant whine to my husband about this because he will just say that he told me to not even try with that witch, but man, seriously, what am I doing wrong? Aside from venting about her on a public forum like this :P

*rolls eyes*

Okay, whine over!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Yeah...you've got to stop making an effort, Francis. Seriously. This woman is NOT going to warm up to you, and it sounds like she's one of those people who thrives on conflict. My sister is the same way, and did a very similar thing with my wife shortly after we were engaged.

Don't be mean to her...just don't participate in the charade. Just cut her out.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Yeah, I wouldn't even bother. Same thing with my sister in law. I didn't even do anything to her...unless you count that I spent all my money in July 08 to visit my husband for 2 weeks. So much dramaa hahah. I hope it goes well for you dear, and if all else, cut her out until she smartens up ;)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

Yeah, some people are NOT worth the effort and will never warm up or see beyond their own selfish needs. I decided this year to let those people go and not engage them or let them into my life. Way more trouble than they're worth, you know?

Sorry that that's happening -- it still feels crappy, I know but just don't engage -- she doesn't deserve your good effort... .

:)

Since there is no point venting about the weather, I will make an official vent over my future WIL.

Everyone who has been following our degenerating relationship will know that she and I just hate each other. But I try really hard to make things work with her... after all, she will be the aunt to my future children and in the future I have to buy her spawns Christmas presents.

So when she writes about being snowed in on facebook, I leave a message on her wall asking about their snowed in condition. The witch never replies. She has, however, updated her status 5 times and uploaded a boat load of new pictures. And replied to the other comments she's received from her wall. :blink:

I cant whine to my husband about this because he will just say that he told me to not even try with that witch, but man, seriously, what am I doing wrong? Aside from venting about her on a public forum like this :P

*rolls eyes*

Okay, whine over!

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys. I know I really should. But it has become really hard since I moved back here, because the hubby's family is so close and the entire family see each other at a regular basis. And my MIL is so worried that the WIL will be a total whacko when she has kids, and MIL will not be allowed to see the future spawns, etc. So she invites the WIL in events that we normally do together. And because of that, I see her so often and cant exclude her in things I want to do (that involves the hubby's family).

But you guys are right, I wont even try. I wont be mean but I wont be nice or warm either. At least the hubby does not like her at all and he will always be on my side!

Edited by darkchilde794

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

If you can, just be in between. Say your greetings when you see her, and only acknowledge her when you have too. People can be really absurd. :lol:

On my vent, taxes confuse me greatly :)!

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Hey, cool. Three posts in a row by three different people started with the word "Yeah."

*goes to listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs*

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about the sister-in-law who just doesn't get it! My future sister-in-law is similar. In addition she has been doing all she can to make me feel guilty that I am taking her beloved brother from Canada from her (she lives 6 hours away and NEVER visits because of her and her husband's finances) and she has been telling her brother (my fiance') "You will never find a job in the U.S. We don't want you to be worrying about where your mortgage payment will come from or how you will keep the heat turned on." UGH! Go away, woman! My fiance' and I made a decision and put down money on the adventure (i.e. we paid for the k-1 visa petition).

Now on to my biggest VENT: PEOPLE WHO ASK WHY I NEED A VISA TO GET MARRIED AND WHY I CAN'T JUST GET MARRIED NOW! I don't want to be separated from my husband (when we get married).

The last couple of weeks people have been pressing me for "the date" of the wedding so they can make their summer vacation/holiday plans. Trying to explain to them the process is useless. They don't get it. There are several that keep saying, "Why don't you just get married when he comes down to visit next?" They don't understand that if we did that, it is a different visa, he would have to go back to Canada (because he needs to work until the visa is approved and he can permanently stay in the U.S.), and IT IS ANOTHER VISA FEE! In just a few months, I will be able to tell them when our Montreal interview is and even then my fiance' will need to wait for his passport to be mailed back with visa stamp. All our planning is based on the "hope" that he gets an interview in May or June at least 3 weeks before our "proposed" wedding date of July 11, 2010. Why can't people just back off!

What have other K-1 visa applicants done with these crazies?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.