Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks all. Well the cops did nothing and the noise continued..so since my rent is paid for feb and march, i'm going to try and go back to davids for a few more weeks...CBP let me cross at xmas for 2 weeks..i'm hoping they let me cross again for 4 this time. especially since i do have my interview date now.

besdides wantting to get away from my neighbours, i figure i should prolly help the soon to be inlaws plan the wedding lol. and it's also davids bday this month and v-day. so i'm going to hvae the post hold my mail for me as i do not trust my neighbours what so ever. so wish me luck. davids on his way to pick me up we'll see what happens when i ask for 4 weeks at the border!

HWDWm6.png

thanks all. Well the cops did nothing and the noise continued..so since my rent is paid for feb and march, i'm going to try and go back to davids for a few more weeks...CBP let me cross at xmas for 2 weeks..i'm hoping they let me cross again for 4 this time. especially since i do have my interview date now.

Good luck, Kim.

Not to rain on your parade, but I have a feeling they won't like you going down there for four weeks, regardless of having an interview date. I was grilled pretty hard when going down for a week and a half, and I got the sense that if it had been two weeks or more, I would have been denied.

Just be sure to bring as many ties to Canada as possible, and be prepared to settle for a shorter trip, if need be. It all depends on the border guard and how trustworthy you seem. Oh...and pack as light as you can!

Hope it works out for you!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Bah. Don't let him rain on your parade, Kim. Take all your ties and be confident. You're not doing anything wrong.

You're probably right, Krikit. I was just trying to prepare her for the other possibility. :P

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
MrsCat, speaking of things going wrong..... what was the outcome on the loss of your boat? Is the insurance going to cover it? I wonder where it is right now? lol

Well, the insurance company said that they need an official Coast Guard report before they can do anything. Which we requested in the first week of December. We just got it yesterday, so we have to send that thing off tomorrow. I almost don't want $$$ for it, because I just know Chris thinks that means we buy another one. :lol::crying:

Not sure if I posted this already, but 2 weeks after the Coast Guard rescued David and Luke, we got home to a voicemail message from the Coast Guard asking us to return their call. Chris calls them back, and I guess the Navy happened upon her 400 miles south of the Big Island, happily bobbing her way towards Tahiti. The Navy boarded her to make sure no one was dead, since she was obviously not responding to radio hails. They took David and Luke's belongings off the boat (they weren't able to get those in the chopper rescue with the CG) and brought them back to Honolulu when they docked a week later. Which was nice because the guys got back a lot of their personal belongings back just before Christmas.

Alas, the Navy called the Coast Guard to see what the do with her, and because we weren't home we weren't able to give permission to scuttle her. So J-Bird is still out there in the world just cruising. The last drift estimate we had for her was that she would make it to the Marshall islands in early February. There is a standing order with the Coast Guard to sink J-Bird if anyone happens upon her in the future.

This is one of those things, when Chris and I have kids, we'll be looking through the photo album and be like "Mom, Dad you guys went sailing in Hawaii." "Yes Kids, we even owed a sailboat for a weekend". :lol:

I just can't stop laughing at the image of an empty sailboat, floating its way across the Pacific Ocean... I know it's been quite an ordeal for you and Chris, but the image is just priceless!

Timeline
I just can't stop laughing at the image of an empty sailboat, floating its way across the Pacific Ocean... I know it's been quite an ordeal for you and Chris, but the image is just priceless!

No worries, that thought cracks me up too. That freaking boat couldn't be sailed 200 miles between the island, but heck suddenly she's an open-water vessel taking on the Pacific. :lol:

Timeline

Back in 1995 when I was in the navy--we were part of the UN bloackade on Haiti! We patrolled the areas, and we came accros an empty boat. Nothing that big, one of thos small aluminum fishing boats, in which you steered it by the motor. We hauled it on board and it came back to Victoria with us! Not sure what happened to it after that

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Can you imagine what the Navy must have been thinking when they boarded the vessel?

"Woo hoo! Free boat!"

Timeline
OMG, Cat. :lol:

That's a fascinating story. Nice that they got their things back! Can you imagine what the Navy must have been thinking when they boarded the vessel? I bet at least one of them was hoping not to find a dead body.

Oh I know! Actually, they waited in the area for 4 hours, waiting to see if they could sink her. You just know that 18 year old kid at the gun, was just hoping we'd return their call asap so he could watch her blow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.