Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Got an e-mail today that out case has been transferre to California. :dance::dance::dance:

Hi Stephen!

I am happy to see thing are moving right along for you and your wife.

Hi everyone. I have a question, now that I have the NOA2 (yay! :dance: ) is that the last time I'll deal with Vermont? When we do AOS does it go to someplace different?

Another question, if I have the three years of tax returns/transcripts and the letter from my employer AND my bank statements from the past 12 months, is it necessary to have the bank letter? My bank is charging for it and if I can avoid it I'd like to.

Okay, one more: can my fiance go to one police station (precint?office?) for his police certificate if he has lived in more than one place since 16? He is in Kingston right now and if he could just go to Kingston for it, it would be helpful.

The bank letter is one of those things that one cannot say for sure they would not ask for. They did not ask us for it 6 months ago, but I have 2 friends who were asked for it about 3 months ago. My rule of thumb with these things is that do not give them any reason to give you a hard time. The cost of returning to Jamaica for a 2nd time is way more than what your bank will charge for the letter. Besides, you cannot put a price tag on peace of mind. If they never take it, it will be one more piece of paper to put on that bon fire when you and your sweetheart are celebrating the granting of the visa.

:lol: Thanks, Trinilad.

Do you know about whether I'll have to deal with VSC anymore? I ask because I may be moving and I'm wondering where future paperwork would go. You mentioned returning to JA for a second time. It was not my intention to be there for my fiance's interview. Is that a bad thing? I don't think that it's possible for me.

If our intention is to have my fiance's children follow him later, what documentation does he have to provide in terms of custody or approval?

They have centralized the process now so you would most likely not have to deal with VSC at the AOS stage. We filed our AOS at Nebraska, then it was sent to Ohio and then to California. When you request the 485 package our go online and print it, the center that deals with your location will be there. I know for sure it will not be Vermont. What USCIS is doing is sending all of a particular type of application to 1 specific center and they will move faster since they will only have those applications to do. Vermont does not do I485.

If you are not going to be there, then I would definitely get the bank letter. Trust me , they will drill him. Just do not give them too much to ask.

I am not sure about the issue with the children. Never had to deal with it so i will leave that to the veterans who may have.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Darlene that is sssoo great!!!!! i only hope that happens with us!!!...ok quick question...did you only send a copy of his vacination paper??? that just stated he had gotten the vaccines or was it a copy of the paper from the medical???

oh ya what is your secret for getting transferd to cali??? hahaha

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Darlene that is sssoo great!!!!! i only hope that happens with us!!!...ok quick question...did you only send a copy of his vacination paper??? that just stated he had gotten the vaccines or was it a copy of the paper from the medical???

oh ya what is your secret for getting transferd to cali??? hahaha

We only had the copy of his record from Jamaica. This morning he went to the Civil Surgeon, got his record put on the official form and got 2 more shots. She said he has to get one more in a month. They put it in a sealed envelope so I am expecting and RFE for it and will have it ready to send out. I am in total shock but very happy that it got transferred. I will keep you posted as to what happens.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Timeline

Hey Fam,

Congrats to those who have had recent success and good luck to those who have upcoming interviews. Just checking in and waiting for a touch :whistle:

Laters,

Mars.

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

That happened to me once -- not a fun experience. Thank God he is okay!! He told you he should have gotten a better car :lol:

I'm totally gonna kick your butt :bonk: That's it - I'm sending Tony to your house for a month and I get Roy :P

:whistle:
Anyway, it seems that they are a lot more particular at the embassy now. You've got to pay attention to every little detail especially when the information is contradictory. I am considering hiring an immigration lawyer just to look over my "final" package before I go back again. Things just ARENT the same. :) Talk to you soon.

They have always been particular at the Embassy -- at least since I have been involved in the "process" I don't know of anyone who has been able to "get away" with not providing them exactly what they asked for. The smallest mistake would get you denied or "blue slipped." What they ask for is what they want. If you don't have it they're not gonna give you an approval.

Things may have changed from a 6 months ago, but we put NOT APPLICABLE instead of N/A. I think that is safer since they can be a bit ####### and act like they do not know what N/A means.

Always put NOT APPLICABLE as opposed to N/A....always!!

And I wouldn't worry about trying to get the Jamaican Letter of Intent notarized. It's not really something that is "practiced" in Jamaica -- UNLESS you can find an American down there who is a Notary. I worried about that and the people who had gone through it before me told me this exact thing. And, I don't think they even looked at the letters :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hi family,

Sometimes men amaze me. Thanks Jax, for that reply, I think you were the only one that had an opinion bout the money found in the trash. I wish more would have given input, I get mad when someone else takes credit too. But...NOW...the guy (perhaps he feels guilty??) is cozying up and chatting up my hubby and he even wants to go FISHING together. (I think the guy is just trying to make nice after he tried to one-up himself.) Lake is saying "Oh, I guess he is not so bad, he spent the last two eves chatting with me after work...".....I swear. I would have been absolutely livid with this guy. I mean I am already and I am just the wife!! Sheesh! MEN!

And Rhonda...I think we are next after you to do the removing conditions, except for a couple of our old timers that I never see anymore. I am already stressing about it, cuz we havent gone on any trips TOGETHER, so no hotel or plane tickets/receipts, dont have an IRA, no savings together, etc. All we basically have is joint checking, my name as beneficiary on his life insurance, and some vision insurance thru his job. We have lots of time (need to file early December) but sheesh, things are looking on the scanty side right now. I need to get it together!

Oh, and I posted some new pics of my great niece on yahoo.

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Timeline
That happened to me once -- not a fun experience. Thank God he is okay!! He told you he should have gotten a better car :lol:

I'm totally gonna kick your butt :bonk: That's it - I'm sending Tony to your house for a month and I get Roy :P

Anyway, it seems that they are a lot more particular at the embassy now. You've got to pay attention to every little detail especially when the information is contradictory. I am considering hiring an immigration lawyer just to look over my "final" package before I go back again. Things just ARENT the same. :) Talk to you soon.

They have always been particular at the Embassy -- at least since I have been involved in the "process" I don't know of anyone who has been able to "get away" with not providing them exactly what they asked for. The smallest mistake would get you denied or "blue slipped." What they ask for is what they want. If you don't have it they're not gonna give you an approval.

Things may have changed from a 6 months ago, but we put NOT APPLICABLE instead of N/A. I think that is safer since they can be a bit ####### and act like they do not know what N/A means.

And I wouldn't worry about trying to get the Jamaican Letter of Intent notarized. It's not really something that is "practiced" in Jamaica -- UNLESS you can find an American down there who is a Notary. I worried about that and the people who had gone through it before me told me this exact thing. And, I don't think they even looked at the letters :wacko:

Thanks for the information about the notary. It will be one less thing for me to worry about. Atleast I have my letter or intent notarized. I can understand not having what they want, but the misinformation is what is frustrating not knowing WHAT they want. They shouldn't have given my fiance an instruction package saying that he needed $335 or profile shots if they aren't needed or notarized taxes when there really is no such thing. It also clearly and in bold print states on the 156, 157 forms that they can be handwritten or typed and that you SHOULD use N/A for not applicable. When I was filing the 129 they specifically requested handwritten documents. I don't have a problem following directions or jumping through hoops as long as it is clear what hoops I need to jump through. :wacko: :wacko:

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Timeline
I think you are more than prepared this time and you are right the third time is a charm....

Yep she is home. She cannot go down. What time is the interview? I believe Morris has to go for 2:30.

I do feel bad for everyone trying this now. I just don't understand why they make it so difficult.

Darlene - Thanks for always having an ecouraging word. Spoke to Susan last night. Congrats on getting to CA! I know that its good but Im not sure why, yet. Im sure I will soon. :blink:

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for the information about the notary. It will be one less thing for me to worry about. Atleast I have my letter or intent notarized. I can understand not having what they want, but the misinformation is what is frustrating not knowing WHAT they want. They shouldn't have given my fiance an instruction package saying that he needed $335 or profile shots if they aren't needed or notarized taxes when there really is no such thing. It also clearly and in bold print states on the 156, 157 forms that they can be handwritten or typed and that you SHOULD use N/A for not applicable. When I was filing the 129 they specifically requested handwritten documents. I don't have a problem following directions or jumping through hoops as long as it is clear what hoops I need to jump through. :wacko: :wacko:

Hey Family,

Well, two weeks to go for I Day.... Prayin for everyone interviewing tomorrow!!!

The DS230 specifically states at the top of the form to put N/A.... But, I'm tired of worrying about it, I will have printouts of both... For whatever they ask, I want to be able to say... "Yeah mon, no problem"!

LovinJA

AOS Timeline:

Mailed I-485 July 2, 2007

Received NOA1 July 11, 2007

RFE: Dated July 24, 2007

Ovnt. requested info. July 30, 2007

Biometrics Appt. Aug. 3, 2007

AOS Interview Sept. 27, 2007

AOS Approval Sept. 27,2007

GREEN CARD Rec. Nov. 1, 2007

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Family,

Well, two weeks to go for I Day.... Prayin for everyone interviewing tomorrow!!!

The DS230 specifically states at the top of the form to put N/A.... But, I'm tired of worrying about it, I will have printouts of both... For whatever they ask, I want to be able to say... "Yeah mon, no problem"!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm laughing because that is what I've done :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If they tell me that I should have put this instead of that..... I will tell them I got that one too!!

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Here is a question what were some of your favorite tourist places in Jamaica?

Jumping off the cliff at Rick's Cafe and seeing the sunset

Dunn Rivers Fall

Caving in the back country near Sav

ATV riding in Mount Zion

Rose hall Great House

wave runners on the beach in Negril

Tubing on the White River (near Ochi)

Hanging out on the Cool Jazz catamaran w/ Tony's old work friends

Partying at Margaritaville on Wed. nights

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

My wife got her green card yesterday. 4 months after arriving in the US and without an interview.

CONGRATS Trini :dance: That was fast! Tony's was 10 months w/ interview - 4 months is super speedy!

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Yes, Mindy is completely right. IF you follow all the instructions and have ALL the paperwork and documentation that you need, you WILL get approved the FIRST time. If not, you don't. It's that simple.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

I am glad for everyone who has gotten through too! Feel very lucky. It feels like they are really tightening the ropes now.

It has always been extremely difficult for Jamaican's to get a Visa. I'm not sure where you come up with this "tightening the ropes"? :huh: All of the same forms and documents that are required today were required in the past with the one exception of the non-impediment form. You HAVE to have everything correct and complete by the time of the interview. We can't stress this enough.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

I can understand not having what they want, but the misinformation is what is frustrating not knowing WHAT they want. They shouldn't have given my fiance an instruction package saying that he needed $335 or profile shots if they aren't needed or notarized taxes when there really is no such thing. It also clearly and in bold print states on the 156, 157 forms that they can be handwritten or typed and that you SHOULD use N/A for not applicable. When I was filing the 129 they specifically requested handwritten documents. I don't have a problem following directions or jumping through hoops as long as it is clear what hoops I need to jump through. :wacko: :wacko:

The instruction form that is sent out in the packets is for both the K-1 and the K-3 Visa's. That's why you need to do your research and pay attention to what you really need. You have VisaJourney to help you - that's what it's here for. Do not rely on the Embassy. And yes, they can be handwritten OR typed. The one form just has to have the bar code on it. They just look neater typed so most peoplel type them. It does not matter if you use N/A or NOT APPLICABLE - it's the same damn thing. They are not that picky. When I filed my 129 I typed everything. Where on earth did you read that it had to be handwritten???? :blink:

As for the different types of pics they used to require profile shots - the form was probably never updated. We took both and gave them what they wanted. They still asked for the incorrect ones because when we came thru the P.O.E. in the U.S. they wanted the OTHER type. So I whipped out my files and handed them over. No big deal. If we hadn't had them, the guy was ready to take more pics at the P.O.E. Even he said how screwed up the Kingston Embassy is <_<

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.