Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hi all,

Dee, did you have awful terrible weather as well there in KC a few days back? It totally missed us, but looked like KC got hammered with ice and then snow.

Well, I have great news, Lake took his math GED test and PASSED!!! It was the second time he took it, his teacher just called yesterday afternoon, and he was dancing around the kitchen and giggling like a schoolgirl! It was too cute!

I am stressing a LOT! I would love other peoples opinions of this, just to hear what you all have to say bout it.

Well, you all know Lake got a really great job with great benefits, etc at the school system here, where he loves everyone he works with, etc. Well, he has been positively INSISTENT about going home for Christmas this year, since he hasnt been home for Xmas in over 5 years, yada yada. Now last year he went home for 5 weeks in January if you will remember, so it was CLOSE to xmas, but not xmas time, where he really wants to spend time with all the fam gathered. (He DID get to see everyone last time, for a couple days, tho). Anyhows....I will have to take out another loan in order for him to do this, so....so far, even tho he has worked for 4 months, it will cost everything he has made so far, then plus he wants some "extra" (like $5,000) to pay back his brother. The loan I am getting is at 24%...yikes! We are in pretty deep straights, with him doing this right at this time. Another year, fine and dandy, but right now...OUCH! But I do understand somewhat, he DOES have children back there, they are in bad shape right now, cant even afford food, etc. at this time.

He has asked for leave of absence, but who knows, after only being there a short time. I know its stupid to quit a great job, and you just CAN NOT do that in America, where you take off 6 weeks every year, until you are established and have leave built up, and some money put back, etc. I would never be able to do this if we lived in an apartment, with reg bills, etc, which means Mom an sis are funding room and board, really, til he gets back and can make it back up.

I have explained and explained, but am not gonna say he CANT go. So I went ahead and got tickets, (havent bot return, Kelly..might need to talk to you bout that one) several months back. I just now told my fam, and boy are they stressing me out bigtime. They are not telling me anything I havent already thot of, and say its awfully selfish of him. He says he really doesnt want me to go, its way too dangerous, etc, and that I mite get killed, etc, as whites over there, especially Americans, are robbed and killed all the time. Its MUCH worse than Jamaica, crime wise.

I am not sure he really knows how much everything all costs, really, even tho I talked and talked. So now he wants to sell his Tahitian black pearls, which I am loathe to do, even tho we might be able to get about $3,000 for them if they are worth anything like what the jeweler told us. They are such an integral part of my memories of first meeting him, I just would rather pay 25% than sell the darn things.

I just dont know how to explain that once you find a great job, with great benefits, that you LIKE, and have folks you really like that you work with, to throw that away is nine kinds of stupid! He thinks jobs are so EASY to find...I keep telling him six years ago, businesses were getting 500 apps from desperate folk just to work at places like Taco Bell paying $6.50 an hour cuz times were so hard and jobs were so scarce, (we had massive layoffs here) He just doesnt get that, cuz he hasnt gone thru it, I guess, but he HAS gone thru it in his country. Arrrhhhhhh!

Anyhow, Mom is ready to "divorce" him. lol Its all rather funny, I guess, how life works, but the money situation sure has me stressed.

Hugs to all

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We on ly had 3 photos together, and they didn't question it.

ANn

Ok ladies I have a quick question. Pictures are important for the actual petition or for the interview?? I put my I-130 packet together this weekend but I dont' have many pics from my Oct trip b/c the camera I had didn't have a film. I didn't realize it until after the fact, however, I do have one from this trip and a couple from my last trip. Should this be okay? If not I can have Javon's neice send me a couple of the pics she took w/her camera but it will take another few wks for her to send them to me. Does this even matter????

Timeline

I fiananced quite a few trips home over the years....what can I say? I try to imagine how I would feel if I was living there and wanted to see my children here. But you're right, the pressure of bills that come in rain or shine, every month, is serious presssure to keep a good job. I think I might put it on the job--if they give him a leave of absence, fine; but if they aren't willing, I would have to suggest to him that he wait a little while until he can take some time off without jeopardizing the job, and just send money to his kids (rather than spending it on the trip)

Ann

Hi all,

Dee, did you have awful terrible weather as well there in KC a few days back? It totally missed us, but looked like KC got hammered with ice and then snow.

Well, I have great news, Lake took his math GED test and PASSED!!! It was the second time he took it, his teacher just called yesterday afternoon, and he was dancing around the kitchen and giggling like a schoolgirl! It was too cute!

I am stressing a LOT! I would love other peoples opinions of this, just to hear what you all have to say bout it.

Well, you all know Lake got a really great job with great benefits, etc at the school system here, where he loves everyone he works with, etc. Well, he has been positively INSISTENT about going home for Christmas this year, since he hasnt been home for Xmas in over 5 years, yada yada. Now last year he went home for 5 weeks in January if you will remember, so it was CLOSE to xmas, but not xmas time, where he really wants to spend time with all the fam gathered. (He DID get to see everyone last time, for a couple days, tho). Anyhows....I will have to take out another loan in order for him to do this, so....so far, even tho he has worked for 4 months, it will cost everything he has made so far, then plus he wants some "extra" (like $5,000) to pay back his brother. The loan I am getting is at 24%...yikes! We are in pretty deep straights, with him doing this right at this time. Another year, fine and dandy, but right now...OUCH! But I do understand somewhat, he DOES have children back there, they are in bad shape right now, cant even afford food, etc. at this time.

He has asked for leave of absence, but who knows, after only being there a short time. I know its stupid to quit a great job, and you just CAN NOT do that in America, where you take off 6 weeks every year, until you are established and have leave built up, and some money put back, etc. I would never be able to do this if we lived in an apartment, with reg bills, etc, which means Mom an sis are funding room and board, really, til he gets back and can make it back up.

I have explained and explained, but am not gonna say he CANT go. So I went ahead and got tickets, (havent bot return, Kelly..might need to talk to you bout that one) several months back. I just now told my fam, and boy are they stressing me out bigtime. They are not telling me anything I havent already thot of, and say its awfully selfish of him. He says he really doesnt want me to go, its way too dangerous, etc, and that I mite get killed, etc, as whites over there, especially Americans, are robbed and killed all the time. Its MUCH worse than Jamaica, crime wise.

I am not sure he really knows how much everything all costs, really, even tho I talked and talked. So now he wants to sell his Tahitian black pearls, which I am loathe to do, even tho we might be able to get about $3,000 for them if they are worth anything like what the jeweler told us. They are such an integral part of my memories of first meeting him, I just would rather pay 25% than sell the darn things.

I just dont know how to explain that once you find a great job, with great benefits, that you LIKE, and have folks you really like that you work with, to throw that away is nine kinds of stupid! He thinks jobs are so EASY to find...I keep telling him six years ago, businesses were getting 500 apps from desperate folk just to work at places like Taco Bell paying $6.50 an hour cuz times were so hard and jobs were so scarce, (we had massive layoffs here) He just doesnt get that, cuz he hasnt gone thru it, I guess, but he HAS gone thru it in his country. Arrrhhhhhh!

Anyhow, Mom is ready to "divorce" him. lol Its all rather funny, I guess, how life works, but the money situation sure has me stressed.

Hugs to all

Jill

Timeline

We are still playing "Who's got the visa?" Monday the embassy said airpak picked it up; last night we were talking to airpak right until they closed, and it still hadn't arrived. They then checked the tracking number and said it's still at the embassy. His plane ticket was for today, so we had no choice but to switch it. So no it's for Saturday. I didn't want to go much farther because I'll lose the good ticket price if it's past Tuesday. Other than Shauan, how long has it taken folks to get the visa?

Ann

Do you know how to be a wife??? We think we want a husband. :huh: I didn't know the real meaning of being a wife, until God sent me my husband. So think long and hard for what you ask for you might just get it and not know what to do with it ;)

That's a good point Denise. In the most successful marriages that I have personally seen; if you have a truly good man and a great husband-then those qualites almost always bring out the best in the woman. So if the man takes the lead in being a good husband and father then it almost always follows that the woman will be a good wife. So another point of view is "does your man know how to be a husband?"

Glad to hear you're feeling better too :) . I'm sure you'll get some good news soon.

Ann-how did George make out?

We are still playing "Who's got the visa?" Monday the embassy said airpak picked it up; last night we were talking to airpak right until they closed, and it still hadn't arrived. They then checked the tracking number and said it's still at the embassy. His plane ticket was for today, so we had no choice but to switch it. So no it's for Saturday. I didn't want to go much farther because I'll lose the good ticket price if it's past Tuesday. Other than Shauan, how long has it taken folks to get the visa?

Ann

Do you know how to be a wife??? We think we want a husband. :huh: I didn't know the real meaning of being a wife, until God sent me my husband. So think long and hard for what you ask for you might just get it and not know what to do with it ;)

That's a good point Denise. In the most successful marriages that I have personally seen; if you have a truly good man and a great husband-then those qualites almost always bring out the best in the woman. So if the man takes the lead in being a good husband and father then it almost always follows that the woman will be a good wife. So another point of view is "does your man know how to be a husband?"

Glad to hear you're feeling better too :) . I'm sure you'll get some good news soon.

Ann-how did George make out?

When was your interview? I need some answers on the same line. How long does it take for them get the Visa. Verton's ticket is for Friday his interview was on th 28th of Nov this is the sixth working day :wacko: . I told him if he doesn't get it today then I will have to change the date.

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Hi all,

Hugs to all

Jill

Jill I understand how he feels but I truly understand how you feel. I look at all the money i have already spent and what I still have to spend. It's hard to be sympathetic when you have already done so much. Me personally I would not get further into debt. Love is a wonderful thing but bankrupcy last a very long time. But my opinion doesn't matter nor does anone elses. Do you have the resouces are you going to be put in a strain.

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi all,

Missed us by a pinch. Mostly ice. My daughter was so vex, some places were up to 10 inches we only got 2 :lol: She wanted to make sure they got out of school. They ended up canceling school anyway. So she was happy in the end.

Congrats on Lakes passing the math test.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: Other Timeline

:mellow: I didn't think about it like that. You know this is my second time at this marriage thing and from personal experience I would have to say you are right.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline
Roy is sad that we hardly got any snow......it's so funny -- I was really worried how he was going to react to the snow and the cold and he LOVES it. He keeps watching the news to see when we are suppose to get more (Tuesday) -- but it's just suppose to be a "dusting." I will have to take a picture of him in his "Nanook" hat....not your typical Jamaican :lol:

Shauna -- Can't wait to hear about your shopping experience. Roy still gets a bit "taken back" when we go to the big malls. He doesn't say anything but I can tell (sometimes) by the look in his eyes.

Hope everyone has a safe (and warm) weekend!!

Iffeisha is the same too. She is just dying for some snow to fall. We have only had some flurries here so she is still in a waiting mode.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning/afternoon all :jest:

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

Just to let everyone know I am still here. To catch you up on what is going on with us, all is well.

It has been an experience dealing with the different dept as Social Security and DMV. Remember my better half had an issue with the I-94. Well the immigration at BWI did not want t fix it. I had to call JFK and got a really nice officer there who had me fax the incorrect I-94 to him and he sent us a replacement . The number he had to write in because I-94 numbers cannot change He also sent us a letter explaining what happened and confirming the work permit stamp at the back of the I-94. The new I-94 had a bigger EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED" stamp than the previous. Took to Social Security. Got the card yesterday. Two weeks Flat. The 'VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT WITH INS AUTHORIZATION' stamp was not even on it. Gor her State of MD ID last week and taking a few driving lessons so she will be ready for the Driving test next week. Sent off the AOS application and the EAD application last week.

She aced on the Praxis test for the Dept of Ed to get her teaching certification so we are waiting on them to complete the verification so she can accept a state teaching job. She took a job at Hechts for the holidays to make some money and get the discount. So all is well and all we are waiting for now is some snow.

To all of you who are waiting for interviews, good luck. I will try to pop in here more often. Been so busy catching up at work. You know you cannot do all the overtime when you get marraid as you used to do when you were single. It is catching up with me, so I am trying to make my better half understand that 6.pm dinner may have to be 8.pm sometimes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Glad to hear from you - from the way things sound you two are definitely living blessed! I wish Iffeisha all the best in getting a state teaching job and passing the drivers test :yes:

Just to let everyone know I am still here. To catch you up on what is going on with us, all is well.

It has been an experience dealing with the different dept as Social Security and DMV. Remember my better half had an issue with the I-94. Well the immigration at BWI did not want t fix it. I had to call JFK and got a really nice officer there who had me fax the incorrect I-94 to him and he sent us a replacement . The number he had to write in because I-94 numbers cannot change He also sent us a letter explaining what happened and confirming the work permit stamp at the back of the I-94. The new I-94 had a bigger EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED" stamp than the previous. Took to Social Security. Got the card yesterday. Two weeks Flat. The 'VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT WITH INS AUTHORIZATION' stamp was not even on it. Gor her State of MD ID last week and taking a few driving lessons so she will be ready for the Driving test next week. Sent off the AOS application and the EAD application last week.

She aced on the Praxis test for the Dept of Ed to get her teaching certification so we are waiting on them to complete the verification so she can accept a state teaching job. She took a job at Hechts for the holidays to make some money and get the discount. So all is well and all we are waiting for now is some snow.

To all of you who are waiting for interviews, good luck. I will try to pop in here more often. Been so busy catching up at work. You know you cannot do all the overtime when you get marraid as you used to do when you were single. It is catching up with me, so I am trying to make my better half understand that 6.pm dinner may have to be 8.pm sometimes.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Ann -- That just SUCKS!! Do you know when the Embassy is closing? Aren't they suppose shut down to move this week? Don't worry, I think Saturday is going to be the day!!

Jill -- That's a tough one. Knowing how hard of a time Roy has had getting a job -- I would kill him if he had a job as good as Lake's. There is no way you can put something like that in jeopardy. Roy is making $6.80 an hour and working three hours a day/six days a week. For right now -- that is the best we can do. I would "push" it off on his job....

but i am just SO scared and nervous that something will happen and "bad" people will pretend to be his friend and i feel like a worried mother....any of you go through this??
I go through it on a daily basis. You just have to "learn" to let go.....it's really hard. Roy has almost been here a year and I still (sometimes) treat him like he's 9 years old :blush:
What is everyone's definition of a WIFE and HUSBAND ??
Good question!! I'll have to think about that one....
My question is... Once the Embassy receives the paper work how do they contact him?? By phone or by mail?
They won't "technically" contact him. Packet #3 will be mailed out to him.....you can either wait for that or once you know NVC has sent the file to Kingston you wait about a week and start calling them to see if they have the file in their system yet. When they do, you send him down there to pick up Packet #3. Roy was NEVER called by them. I don't think the phone is going to be an issue.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.