Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I have a few questions for teh veterans here.

I am in a little bind because my mom misplaced my birth paper and i do not have the numbers for it. Is it possible to go to the intereveiw without it?

Also I was reading from the aove post the embassy requires a certified copy of your marriage certificate- can't they just take acopy or use the original?

Certified does that mean I can just take it to the notary and have them stamp it?

Mindy's is right, No, No and No. Sorry, :blush:

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can apply for an EAD when filing your paperwork, but I don't know the in between stuff. I would like to be able to have Craig travel (before the interview)...just in case....ya know, being in the travel industry....good deals, we gotta go !!

It's the AP that allows you to travel before the Green Card. The EAD is for work authorization. You can apply for all 3 at once (AOS, AP, and EAD) if you want to and if you can afford it! :wacko: It adds up to quite a bit of money.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Roy started work yesterday too -- he hates it :( Oh well......he'll get over it.[/color]

Poor Roy. :(

I've been crazy busy lately. I got back late Wednesday night and had to be at work first thing Thursday morning because my office decided to move while I was in JA :angry: I had to pack, move and unpack in two days. And I had to work and staff the Lebanon task force......all this with a JA hangover. I gave my daughter a slumber party Saturday night then me and my girls went to see Mary J. Blige last night. I am soooo tired :sleepy: .

Damien comes home tonight (L) We had a wonderful trip...7 of my closest friends traveled with us. My friends and I did lots of tourist stuff while Damien chilled with his friends and family. Damien went to the Sumfest the last 3 nights. I only made it one night...I saw Richie Spice, Lady Saw, G-Unit and Sizzla performances. My friends left Monday and I left Wednesday. Pictures will come soon.

Oh my! I hope thing get settled soon. MaryJ'll be here in two weeks, wishing I could go, but I have to work. :(

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

But on top of all of this, the I-134 talks about providing information on investments and life insurance. I feel that is really excessive. What am I supposed to do, copy all my 401k stuff?

Welcome Tali,

I believe the info. they're asking for is ONLY if you don't exceed the poverty limit. In other words, if your salary is not enough to support both of you, you have to have proof of other assets.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Now let's get familiar, answer these questions:

Name : Rhonda

SO's Name: Tony

Location : Detroit, MIMy Significant Other Hails From : Ocho Rios, JamaicaWhere is he now?: In Detroit with me

Wedding Date: December 11, 2004

At What Point of the Visa Journey are you?: Tony received his Green Card almost 1 year ago. In another 9 months we will file to "lift conditions"What's your JA connection/How did you meet?: I was on a Single's Cruise and I was only in Jamaica for about 6 hours. I met Tony on a catamaran that he worked on as we cruised to Dunn's River. We started talking on the phone and I visited JA a million times and the rest is history!Do you have a pic?: Yes, we have assorted pics up on YahooWhat is your most memorable yardie thread moment?: When Squitto had to go toe-to-toe with the moderators before our thread was moved to the regional section :lol::lol::devil:

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Hi everyone!! I have been in this forum many times, but this is the 1st time that I am actually saying hello to you all!! Everyone here seems to have such a great relationship!!! I hope that I can join in on the conversations and fun sometime!! Have a good day!! :D

Tamisha

Welcome Tamisha :dance: Where are you at in the Visa process?

I will read the board a little bit more tonight I need to finish my odds and ends before I can rest and get ready to board the plane tommorow morning.

Wow, I can't believe you're getting married ONE week from today!! Best wishes and have a wonderful vacation :star: Actually, you'll still be in JA when me and Tony come down (Aug. 16-20) for his birthday trip. We want pics when you get back!! :P

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Big welcome to Tamisha (Belly's Girl)!!! :D

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning everyone,

I've been reading parts of the notes I see here to my sweetie. Its really helped calm the nerves a bit. He asked me to ask all of you exactly what to expect in the interview - what questions will he likley be asked, etc. Sometimes I think he views this as a test that he can fail. I try and reassure him that if the paperwork is in order, we will be fine. Because anyone who sees us together knows we are the real deal :)

Can any of you provide a few examples of questions or the specific process on interview day so I can share them with him?

Thanks

O, BTW, I still have a few paperwork questions (getting a bit paranoid before the big day)!

I have a marriage and divorce certificate. Both were provided with the original packet. I provided copies. The packet says they need certified copies of marriage and divorce decree. Do I really need to bring certified copies? My divorce paperwork is a certified copy - so I guess I can get another certified copy of that. But I don't have a certified copy of my marriage certificate.

I am going to get my I-134 notarized this week. Will bring copies of an employment letter, my last 3 pay stubs, and my last 3 years 1040 filings (with W2s attached). I am also going to get a bank statement. But on top of all of this, the I-134 talks about providing information on investments and life insurance. I feel that is really excessive. What am I supposed to do, copy all my 401k stuff?

Thanks again.

(F) Hello Ladies! It has been a long time since I have written but I have been creeping the forum watching all of your beautiful moments unfold. So much has happened in the past year for all of us, it's so amazing! I am writing now because I need some immediate support.

We have had on and off again discussions about our families and their support (or lack of) in the past. Now it is time for my confessions if you will. I have done all of this immigration and marriage stuff without any of my family members being aware of it. I am close to my family but so distant from them at the same time. My parents and sisters (one of them is starting to understand) have never approved of mine and Henry's relationship for more reasons than racial...over the years it has almost completely vanished from our conversations. When I made the decision to go through with the K1 I made that decision on my own and with the support of my very best friends who knew that I was doing what I had to do. I got married to Henry under the same pretense. For the past year I have had the most wonderful life. I speak with my family every week or so and chit chat about this and that, they never ask me about him and I constantly try to drop his name or talk about things that we have done..etc. My parents live in TX and I have a sister in Boston and Vermont. I have actually only seen them once in the past year so "lying" has been easy but the haunting of this has not.

Yesterday was our one year anniverary and while it was such a rewarding day for us and so accomplishing there was this lingering feeling of major anxiety. I am telling my family today that we eloped yesterday. The idea of telling them that we have been lying for the past year is too excruciating..especially as my mother recently got diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want them to be too hurt. We have decided that this is the best immediate solution in order to get the truth on the table and keep everyone's feelings in check. Now I am struggling with how to go about this confession. I am making the phone calls tonight. First I will call my parents, then my most opposing sister and finally my happy sister. I'm not even thinking about the immediate family and family friends yet as this is the main priority.

I am so excited to get everything off my chest but also terrified to hear the reactions. I have made a few jokes that I'm going to sit with my bottle of Jack Daniels and just bite the bullet...

If anyone has any advice to offer or is in a similar situation...please share your thoughts. I am waiting for 7PM to come for the first of the three dreaded phone calls. (F)

I don't have any great advice - but I can empathize. My family is not exactly thrilled that I'm bringing "a Jamaican" back to the states. This is not at all racial in my case because we're black. I think a lot of this is classist. He is poor, I am not. I am educated, he is not. I am older than him. By about 10 years. And in the end, no one can "understand why I'm DOING this". And they "don't want to see me get hurt". I think the hardest part of this is not being able to talk to them about all my feelings during this process. There are times when I worry or get down or doubt. And the people who are usually my "go to" people - are just not there. In fact, if I were to express any concern or doubt during a bad moment - they would jump on it and use it to try and convince me, yet again, to reconsider. "You can always change your mind" they all say. Sigh.

Last week I told my mom I was going for the interview next week. And she was like "so what will you do with him when he gets here" .... She went on to say: "And when will he leave". I just want to scream HAVENT YOU BEEN LISTENING TO ME AT ALL FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ranting:

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this about me - I just wanted to tell you I understood... and my thoughts are with you.

T

Roy started work yesterday too -- he hates it :( Oh well......he'll get over it.[/color]

Poor Roy. :(

HELLO????? Poor Mindy :lol: :lol:

she was like "so what will you do with him when he gets here" .... She went on to say: "And when will he leave". I just want to scream HAVENT YOU BEEN LISTENING TO ME AT ALL FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ranting:

I think our mothers are related :whistle: Sounds like an exact copy of what my mother said to me....

Regarding the "Certified" copies -- make sure you make copies for them (if they ask you will be able to hand them over) -- MAKE SURE you also bring ALL the originals of everything. I had an expandable packet that weighed about 10 pounds. It is so much better to be safe than sorry. There was NOTHING they could possibly ask me for that I didn't have with me. Although it's not necessary (unless you are using your "assets" for the I-134) you do not need to bring the "extra" stuff. Even though I wasn't using my "assets" to prove anything I brought all my mortgage, 401k and stock info -- just in case.

And yes, I am extremely #######!! They didn't ask us for anything that I brought :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am in a little bind because my mom misplaced my birth paper and i do not have the numbers for it. Is it possible to go to the intereveiw without it?

Also I was reading from the aove post the embassy requires a certified copy of your marriage certificate- can't they just take acopy or use the original? Certified does that mean I can just take it to the notary and have them stamp it?

I don't know about the K3 but I know when they ask for something they usually want it. Can you get another copy of your Birth Certificate from the State?

The "Certified Marriage Certificate" is the one you get from the State after you filed and got married -- not the one the pastor or judge gives you at the ceremony. The certified certificate is an official record of the marriage with the state.

I could try (I am a born Jamaican) to get it but the last time I checked they said i need to have the certificate number for it.

They only one I have is teh one from the state, seeing I got married there at the court house. I was just trying to eliminate speanding and other $30 to get another one from them.

Thanks much Minfay.

Hi everyone!! I have been in this forum many times, but this is the 1st time that I am actually saying hello to you all!! Everyone here seems to have such a great relationship!!! I hope that I can join in on the conversations and fun sometime!! Have a good day!! :D

Tamisha

Welcome Ms. Tamisha

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

I could try (I am a born Jamaican) to get it but the last time I checked they said i need to have the certificate number for it.

They only one I have is teh one from the state, seeing I got married there at the court house. I was just trying to eliminate speanding and other $30 to get another one from them.

Hummmmmmm......I <believe> the reason why they want a certified birth certificate is to prove that "you" are an American citizen who was born in America. I don't even know what to say in your case....I completely forgot you were born in Jamaica....sorry. I am clueless on that one.

I always go with "better safe than sorry" when it comes to what they are asking you for. Personally, I would spend the $30 and get the certified copy. If you don't give them what they want they will just RFE you and tell you what you need to provide. It's not the end of the world....if you are willing to take that chance and get "held up" in the process for a while.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OK TIME TO LAUGH!

These quotes are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now published by court reporters that had the torment of staying calm while these exchanges were actually taking place.

ATTORNEY: Are you sexually active?

WITNESS: No, I just lie there.

ATTORNEY: What is your date of birth?

WITNESS: July 18th.

ATTORNEY: What year?

WITNESS: Every year.

ATTORNEY: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?

WITNESS: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.

ATTORNEY: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?

WITNESS: Yes.

ATTORNEY: And in what ways does it affect your memory?

WITNESS: I forget.

ATTORNEY: You forget? Can you give us an example of something you forgot?

ATTORNEY: How old is your son, the one living with you?

WITNESS: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which.

ATTORNEY: How long has he lived with you?

WITNESS: Forty-five years.

ATTORNEY: What was the first thing your husband said to you that morning?

WITNESS: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"

ATTORNEY: And why did that upset you?

WITNESS: My name is Susan!

ATTORNEY: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo?

WITNESS: We both do.

ATTORNEY: Voodoo?

WITNESS: We do.

ATTORNEY: You do?

WITNESS: Yes, voodoo.

ATTORNEY: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

WITNESS: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

ATTORNEY: The youngest son, the twenty year old, how old is he?

WITNESS: Uh, he's twenty

ATTORNEY: Were you present when your picture was taken?

WITNESS: Would you repeat the question?

ATTORNEY: So the date of conception (of the baby) was August 8th?

ATTORNEY: And what were you doing at that time?

WITNESS: Uh....

ATTORNEY: She had three children, right?

ATTORNEY: How many were boys?

WITNESS: None.

ATTORNEY: Were there any girls?

ATTORNEY: How was your first marriage terminated?

WITNESS: By death.

ATTORNEY: And by whose death was terminated?

ATTORNEY: Can you describe the individual?

WITNESS: He was about medium height and had a beard.

ATTORNEY: Was this a male or a female?

ATTORNEY: Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?

WITNESS: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.

ATTORNEY: Doctor, how many of your autopsies have you performed on dead people?

WITNESS: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.

ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?

WITNESS: Oral.

ATTORNEY: Do you recall the time that you examined the body?

WITNESS: The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m.

ATTORNEY: And Mr. Denton was dead at the time?

WITNESS: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing an autopsy on him!

ATTORNEY: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?

WITNESS: Huh?

And the best for last

ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

WITNESS: No.

ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?

ATTORNEY: Did you check for breathing?

ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?

ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?

WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

ATTORNEY: But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless

WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law!

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Jax -- Good Luck and have a wonderful time!! (L)

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Now let's get familiar, answer these questions:

Name : Anna

SO's Name: Javon

My Significant Other Hails From : Lincoln, Mandeville

Where is he now?: Not here w/me like he should be

Wedding Date: Soon

At What Point of the Visa Journey are you?: Planning to file the K3 very soon

What's your JA connection/How did you meet?: My parents are also Jamaican so on one of my many trips I met the love of my life at a local beach by my parents house.

Do you have a pic?: I haven't uploaded any on Yahoo but he's a quick look via my camera phone

What is your most memorable yardie thread moment?: Just seeing all the successes

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.