InTransit

Advanced Parole Document has wife's new name, I-94 has her maiden name, does this matter?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife just received her work permit and advanced parole document this week. Both have her new last name on them. Her Canadian passport, visa, and I-94 all have her maiden name on it. Will this name mismatch on her documents create trouble for us at the border when we try to re-enter the U.S.? I ask because we plan to visit her family for the holidays, and don't want any surprises, come January. Thank you for all your input. I love this forum.

Sent off K1 forms sometime in late January----------------------------------late Jan 2009

Fiancee has k1 visa interview at Montreal consulate---------------------------July 10, 2009

Fiancee receives passport w/ inserted k1 visa and I-94-----------------------July 16, 2009

Fiancee enters U.S. from Canada on K1 visa ----------------------------------July 25, 2009

Wedding Day----------------------------------------------------------------------Aug 21, 2009

Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP forms together to Chicago lockbox --------------Sept 10, 2009

Received NOA1's for the AOS, EAD, and AP forms --------------------------Sept 21, 2009

Received NOA: I-485 transferred to CA Service Center --------------------Oct 8, 2009

Biometrics Appointment----------------------------------------------------------Oct 14, 2009

Advanced Parole Documents received------------------------------------------Oct 28, 2009

EAD card received----------------------------------------------------------------Nov 02, 2009

Filed: Timeline
My wife just received her work permit and advanced parole document this week. Both have her new last name on them. Her Canadian passport, visa, and I-94 all have her maiden name on it. Will this name mismatch on her documents create trouble for us at the border when we try to re-enter the U.S.? I ask because we plan to visit her family for the holidays, and don't want any surprises, come January. Thank you for all your input. I love this forum.

I went to canada for a vacation last july ,my GC has my married name and my passport has my maiden name. I don't have any problems at all at the canadian border when I presented my passport ( I am not a citizen of canada) and GC. Same thing when I entered the US they did not even bother to look at my passport, but only the GC, they swipe it in the computer and that was it. I brought a copy of marriage license too just to be safe.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just take along a copy of your marriage certificate (or License) that shows her maiden name and her married name. My county in Arkansas provides a pocket version of the Marriage License which is convenient to carry along with a passport.

Edited by gene mccluney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.