mclayto

Is the K3 worth it?

37 posts in this topic

Go with CR-1 (I-130) option only. Like others have said, it may be a bit quicker, however the overall process will be longer. With K-3 you have to file AOS, cost $1010, which you don't have to with CR-1. Money was the deciding factor for me, even though it was a bit late. I did apply for K-3, i wish I hadn't. It added an extra month of wait before getting my NOA2. Wish you all the best....

--MR.

"Live like there is no tomorrow and love like you have never been hurt"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't quite understand the difference between the K3 and CR1. When you send in the I130 you've automatically applied for both, no? If one will be faster then you can abandon the one you have for the other. But other than differing processing times, what is the real difference and why don't they just automatically start processing the one that will be quicker? I'm doing DCF in Turkey for the CR-1. I hope that is the best route. I will verify it at the interview in December I suppose.

The differences are:

COST - like $1000 more for the K3, AND

Spouse with CR1 visa can work in the US starting the day they arrive.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

I keep seeing it mentioned here and there, on this site and others, that the K3 is no longer useful. The speed is no better than normal CR/IR-1 process.

However, I don't get the feeling that everyone agrees. Even the processing time statistics on this site seem to show that the K3 would get my wife into the country sooner or at least have less chance of taking longer.

Note: She's in Mexico and I'm in North Carolina

So the question to the VJ community is: Is it worth it for me to start down the K3 path or just a waste of time and effort?

Thanks - I'm new here and loving the site

-Clayton

Ciudad Juarez takes longer to process and schedule interviews for CR1. I was told that the difference between the K3 and CR1 in Juarez would be 3 months. Our priority was to be together ASAP, so we did the K3. You can see our timeline below. When I applied back then, we had to mail the I-130 and I-129 separately, but now you send them together, therefore it could be a little faster.

4.28.07 - Married in Jalisco Mexico - Cozumel Honeymoon for 2 weeks

***I-130***

5.24.07 - I-130 Received in CSC

7.14.07 - Received NOA1 (WOW after 6 weeks, I was worried...called INS and told me CSC had a computer "glitch" causing delays on printing Receipt notices and approvals)

10.30.07 - APPROVED No email, the NOA2 came in the mail...hard copy.

***1-129F***

7.23.07 - I-129F received in Chicago

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

11.21.07 - APPROVED!!!! APPROVED. GOT AN E-MAIL ON THANKSGIVING!

03.03.08- INTERVIEW IN CIUDAD JUAREZ. VISA GRANTED ON 03.03.2008

***AOS & EAD***

3.10.08 - Case Received at Chicago Lockbox, check cashed 3.14.08

3.17.08 - Received both NOA's in the mail

3.21.08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail, biometrics Appt. 4.02.08

5.05.08 - EAD Card Production ordered GOT EMAIL (we received the same email on 5.09.08)

5.13.08 - Approval Email for EAD (so the card was ordered first, and then we were approved...hum)

5.15.08 - EAD Card Received in mail.

8.08.08 - WE GOT OUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT YAY...9/12/08 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

9.24.08 - Received Green Card in the mail YEAH!

***I-751***

6.15.10 - Mailed I-751 Docs to CSC, check cashed 6.24.10

6.26.10 - Received NOA in mail dated 6.21.10

6.29.10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 7.15.10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I keep seeing it mentioned here and there, on this site and others, that the K3 is no longer useful. The speed is no better than normal CR/IR-1 process.

However, I don't get the feeling that everyone agrees. Even the processing time statistics on this site seem to show that the K3 would get my wife into the country sooner or at least have less chance of taking longer.

So the question to the VJ community is: Is it worth it for me to start down the K3 path or just a waste of time and effort?

-Clayton

Ciudad Juarez takes longer to process and schedule interviews for CR1. I was told that the difference between the K3 and CR1 in Juarez would be 3 months. Our priority was to be together ASAP, so we did the K3. You can see our timeline below. When I applied back then, we had to mail the I-130 and I-129 separately, but now you send them together, therefore it could be a little faster.

no, you shouldnt send them together.

But thanks for sharing that with the OP, so thats another consulate that makes it beneficial to file k3. :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

-Clayton

But thanks for sharing that with the OP, so thats another consulate that makes it beneficial to file k3. :)

This Juarez information is more than two years old. Check the timeline. Also, "I was told..." contains no information as to the source. Let's keep the discussion to current actual facts where possible.

No, you cannot send the two petitions together.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

-Clayton

This Juarez information is more than two years old. Check the timeline. Also, "I was told..." contains no information as to the source. Let's keep the discussion to current actual facts where possible.

No, you cannot send the two petitions together.

this is getting a little comical push :P

K3 thru mexico shows 87 days till interview after receiving the file from NVC and CR1 shows 164 days(of course this counts the journey through NVC) that is double the time from NOA2... account for the lag in filing the 129f after 130 and you'll probably lose 2-4 weeks. that is still a difference of 56 days. thats the amount of time the OP can weight the benefits of cr1 against time lost :D

you can add it to your new list of confirms...jordan,mexico and...canda(?) right?

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just to keep things interesting, it looks like we get a different consulate depending on the path we choose. She's in Monterrey but the consulate there doesn't do K visas.

"The United States Consulate General in Monterrey, DOES NOT process V or K visa types. These visas are processed in the United States Consulate in Ciudad Juarez."

So, we can't even compare times within the same consulate. I'm drifting farther and farther from the K3...

Timeline
Just to keep things interesting, it looks like we get a different consulate depending on the path we choose. She's in Monterrey but the consulate there doesn't do K visas.

"The United States Consulate General in Monterrey, DOES NOT process V or K visa types. These visas are processed in the United States Consulate in Ciudad Juarez."

So, we can't even compare times within the same consulate. I'm drifting farther and farther from the K3...

Oh - I take that back. I just found this:

"All immigrant visa cases in Mexico are currently processed at the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez."

Timeline

Oh - I take that back. I just found this:

"All immigrant visa cases in Mexico are currently processed at the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez."

i was about to suggest looking there lol

whatever you choose, good luck!

Thanks!

Timeline

K3 thru mexico shows 87 days till interview after receiving the file from NVC and CR1 shows 164 days(of course this counts the journey through NVC) that is double the time from NOA2... account for the lag in filing the 129f after 130 and you'll probably lose 2-4 weeks. that is still a difference of 56 days. thats the amount of time the OP can weight the benefits of cr1 against time lost :D

you can add it to your new list of confirms...jordan,mexico and...canda(?) right?

On what data is the "days till interview after receiving the file from NVC" based? What time period? What percentage of K3 and CR1 Mexico cases are represented in the numbers?

For the record, I just responded to the information in the post. It was more than two years ago, so not relevant to today. If there's relevant information point me to it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

On what data is the "days till interview after receiving the file from NVC" based? What time period? What percentage of K3 and CR1 Mexico cases are represented in the numbers?

For the record, I just responded to the information in the post. It was more than two years ago, so not relevant to today. If there's relevant information point me to it.

visa journey members,in the last year...as we all know VJ represents a small percentage of the total cases filed. :)

Thanks!

Timeline

visa journey members,in the last year...as we all know VJ represents a small percentage of the total cases filed. :)

I would prefer to make recommendations based on more direct information, such as the current practice of the Consulate in scheduling interviews. When such information isn't available, I don't find segments of VJ timelines sufficient. While it's possible Juarez is currently taking extra time for immigrant visa interview scheduling, that could be temporary or simply a calculation based on flawed or less than current information.

By the same token, it's well documented that a K3 interview is scheduled far faster in Vancouver than a CR1 interview in Montreal. Even so, the backlog in Montreal has significantly decreased making the diffrerence now about two months instead of five or six. Montreal also recently joined the NVC electronic processing fold. It's yet to be determined whether the electronic NVC cases will jump to the head of the interview line in Montreal as they have been doing in Guangzhou. As such, I would still recommend the CR1 route to all Western Canadians that aren't in bordertown relationships.

Your advice to be aware of current practices by the specific Consulate is sound but using old VJ timeline information as an indicator of current practice is quite unsound, IMO.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I want to thank everyone for all the help. We made the decision. We're going to skip the K3 and go straight for the CR1 and hope for the best.

Thanks

-Clayton

I still don't quite understand the difference between the K3 and CR1. When you send in the I130 you've automatically applied for both, no? If one will be faster then you can abandon the one you have for the other. But other than differing processing times, what is the real difference and why don't they just automatically start processing the one that will be quicker? I'm doing DCF in Turkey for the CR-1. I hope that is the best route. I will verify it at the interview in December I suppose.

The differences are:

k3 is free to file. how you calculated the cost?

it is free months faster than cr1. around 4-5 months in my case and heard the same from others too

Go with CR-1 (I-130) option only. Like others have said, it may be a bit quicker, however the overall process will be longer. With K-3 you have to file AOS, cost $1010, which you don't have to with CR-1. Money was the deciding factor for me, even though it was a bit late. I did apply for K-3, i wish I hadn't. It added an extra month of wait before getting my NOA2. Wish you all the best....

k3 is free. how u calcualting the cost?

N-400

09/14/2009 - N-400 Sent to Texas Lock Box

09/16/2009 - Delivered by USPS Priority Mail

09/18/2009 - Single Check Cashed 675 $

09/18/2009 - NOA Showing 595 $ ?

10/07/2009 - Biometrics - Done @ Jackson, MS

10/21/2009 - Interview Letter

12/08/2009 - Interview @ New Orleans, LA

I-751

09/14/2008 I-751 Sent to VSC

09/19/2008 NOA

03/05/2009 VSC to CSC Transfer

05/28/2009 Approval of I-751

Timeline

The differences are:

k3 is free to file. how you calculated the cost?

it is free months faster than cr1. around 4-5 months in my case and heard the same from others too

k3 is free. how u calcualting the cost?

Answered in your other thread. From filing to green card, K3 costs about $650 more which tends to be the least of the "expense" when you consider the minimum of three months waiting for work authoriztion. You've come to the right place for answers. I advise you to pay attention instead of trying to teach what you don't yet know about.

If you are from Western Canada, you might save a month or two but not four or five. If you're from Eastern Canada you won't save any time at all.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.