MapleLeafBaby

H1N1 Vaccination

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yea needles literally make my son throw up and pass out. They know this at the doctors office, they have to give him a bucket and hold him while he gets it because right afterwards he just gets dizzy, throws up and then passes out. He doesn't cry or freak out he just hates them that much.

It's hard to watch but he needs to be vaccinated.

I don't know whats worse, getting nauseated and passing out or getting a panic attack. I used to stress myself out so badly when I was getting a shot that I would need to either be sedated or given muscle relaxers just to get a shot. They tried one time to give me a stress ball to squeeze while I got a shot..... I burst the damn thing and squirted this horrible smelling gel everywhere. Now, I just have to do breathing exercises and deal with it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The one thing they're saying about this years H1N1 variation is that it's not affecting the elderly like other strains do. This is because H1N1 has been around many times before (just not swine flu) and so older people, many have been innoculated decades ago from the H1N1 already and they already have an immunity. This is why the young are the ones they're most worried about who haven't had the strain before (and yes maybe younger pregnant women).

With the strains though, it's the top 5 flu strains they predict are the biggest that they make the flu shots for each year. People will not be innoculated against the other billion types of flu that's also going around and maybe people will still get the flu even if they've had the shots or not, it just means they probably won't have the swine flu...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I am not one to get my son the regular flu shot, but he's getting the H1N1 vaccine - I have already sent the consent forms into his school. There has already been 4 confirmed cases at his school and I am just not risking it.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys...

I agree Sprailenes...I had to make a decision today, and I sent in the consent form. I believe the one he is getting is the nasal spray? which is the live virus...and it is true, every year, the flu shot is 'new'...

The school nurse told me that each school was getting doses enough for half the kids...so his school has 500 kids, and they are getting 250 vaccines...funny enough, she got back 250 consent forms...so I guess the CDC has done previous polls, and the feedback is a 50/50 split.

I really don't want to chance it, and I really cannot drive myself nuts worrying about side effects :(

I was pregnant and living in Toronto during SARS....and that was really scary...

The vaccine at this point is limited to only school age children, elderly or those working in the 'care' giving industry. So it's not even available to us adults right now.

I imagine that as winter progresses, there will be many more confirmed cases in the school system, and at his age, by the time they catch it...several people have it :(

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

two quick links of interest for you guys:

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/

some great and interesting information here...

"CDC is again warning parents not to send your children to a swine flu party. The idea is to provide them with immunity, like used to be done with chickenpox parties." #######?!

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features...u-get-swine-flu

10 things to do BEFORE you get swine flu.

all terrific things to consider doing now.

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

"CDC is again warning parents not to send your children to a swine flu party. The idea is to provide them with immunity, like used to be done with chickenpox parties." #######?!

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features...u-get-swine-flu

10 things to do BEFORE you get swine flu.

all terrific things to consider doing now.

hahahah yeah, I was reading about the chicken pox vaccine before I got it last week, and apparently parents used to bring their kids over to the house of a kid who got chicken pox, hoping that their kids would catch it from them, and thus become immune once it was gone. :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline
hahahah yeah, I was reading about the chicken pox vaccine before I got it last week, and apparently parents used to bring their kids over to the house of a kid who got chicken pox, hoping that their kids would catch it from them, and thus become immune once it was gone. :lol:

this is all i have to say about that: :bonk:

jeezus.

AOS

05.25.10 - NoA

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.09.10 - EAD received!

02.01.11 - touched

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Well, I'd say there's a "slight difference" between Chicken Pox and Swine Flu. :P

What came first... the chicken or the pig? :P

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't really have an option either way. I hate needles and I've never found the regular flu shot to be effective, so I wouldn't get it for myself, but if I had a child? That would be a much harder decision. I suppose people have been getting vaccinated for years with a lot of questionable additives put into the serum and we're all ok. I still only have 2 eyes!

Unfortunately its too late for my little sister! She is feeling much better now and will probably be back in school by the middle of the week. Apparently it is slowly spreading around her high school and at least a dozen kids now have it, and probably even more than have not been diagnosed or sent to see a doctor. The worst part of it, from what she has told me, is the high fevers. Apparently she wasn't able to sleep much through the weekend and kept waking up feeling like she was on fire. Fortunately she is a healthy girl and it doesn't seem to have hit her as hard as some other unfortunate kids.

Timeline
I don't really have an option either way. I hate needles and I've never found the regular flu shot to be effective, so I wouldn't get it for myself, but if I had a child? That would be a much harder decision. I suppose people have been getting vaccinated for years with a lot of questionable additives put into the serum and we're all ok. I still only have 2 eyes!

Unfortunately its too late for my little sister! She is feeling much better now and will probably be back in school by the middle of the week. Apparently it is slowly spreading around her high school and at least a dozen kids now have it, and probably even more than have not been diagnosed or sent to see a doctor. The worst part of it, from what she has told me, is the high fevers. Apparently she wasn't able to sleep much through the weekend and kept waking up feeling like she was on fire. Fortunately she is a healthy girl and it doesn't seem to have hit her as hard as some other unfortunate kids.

two eyes? is that normal after getting the vaccine? ;p

AOS

05.25.10 - NoA

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.09.10 - EAD received!

02.01.11 - touched

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Back when Jimmy Carter was president, there was an outbreak of swine flu in the US. Ol' Jimmy really pushed for everyone to get vaccinated. Problem was, thousands and thousands of people had severely adverse side effects, and became very ill and some dead. Ol' Jimmy really had egg on his face. Personally, I am not going to get the H1N1 shot, but will get a regular flu shot. Keep the immunity strong, and try to avoid hanging out with the pre-school and elementary school crowd. If I was a teach, then I would get the shot. Cheers.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline
Back when Jimmy Carter was president, there was an outbreak of swine flu in the US. Ol' Jimmy really pushed for everyone to get vaccinated. Problem was, thousands and thousands of people had severely adverse side effects, and became very ill and some dead. Ol' Jimmy really had egg on his face. Personally, I am not going to get the H1N1 shot, but will get a regular flu shot. Keep the immunity strong, and try to avoid hanging out with the pre-school and elementary school crowd. If I was a teach, then I would get the shot. Cheers.

http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/04/28/1976_swine_flu/

hmmm. not so much according to this.

AOS

05.25.10 - NoA

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.09.10 - EAD received!

02.01.11 - touched

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You know some parents are just way out there and stupid. Just think if ebola happend to become prevelant in the US. Do you think parents would have a Ebola party? Imagine what that would look like...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/04/28/1976_swine_flu/

hmmm. not so much according to this.

Its well known that the vaccine in 1976 activated a rare neurological condition called Guillain-Barre syndrome, and people did die.

40 million were inoculated for a flu that never came. Ol' Jimmy Carter overreacted 'cause he felt the gov't had to do something. Instead, shoulda done what he was best at--doing nothing. Read it and weep. But I wont get into a battle of links with you, 'cause that is so noobish and nerdish. Peace.

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1976.html

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.