bogartnoir

milk in bags

61 posts in this topic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I dont know why bogart wonders why milk comes in bags. It did from the beginning--mother's milk! :whistle::lol:

:rofl: ...And I have a fresh supply of that too....!

And boy does it feel heavy and leaky carrying those around!

Oh yeah, and it can get pretty messy at times too (lol..typing and nursing at the same time...yeah, accidents are bound to happen...)

Though as long as my baby boy likes it...that's good enough, accidents and all....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Oh my gosh, a Canadian thread about bagged milk! Moo!

I admit, as a Canadian, I prefer bagged milk for the following reasons:

1) Bagged milk is easier to carry from place

Lol...I remember having a hard time with those darn plastic jugs that they sell here in the USA...

Felt like I almost broke my arm carrying that extra weight of the jugs...very awkward, indeed....

Because of that awkwardness, I decided instead to buy the equivalent of 6 quart sized boxes instead of a 1 gallon plastic jug..

Unfortunately, now I'm back to the gallon jugs...because WIC won't let me do the switch to quart sized boxes....Sigh...

Imagine: Going from the car to the house, with the baby in one arm, plastic gallon jug in the other arm...not a pretty sight..lol....

2) Gallon jugs take up too much room in the fridge

Lol...The way that my fridge is shaped and with the other food and beverages I put in there, I can only put two 1 gallon jugs at a time in there...Can't stock up on jugged milk here.....

3) Bagged milk is somewhat healthier than plastic jugged milk, as the chemicals frm the plastic can get into the milk if not stored correctly and/or placed under bright lights (so I've read...please corrrect me on this if I'm wrong)...

4) I can freeze bagged milk. I cannot freeze milk in plastic jugs (I tried that once, and the jug exploded all over the kitchen..lol...)

Sigh...It's too bad they don't sell bagged milk here in the USA!

On the bright side: Milk here in the USA is way less expensive than milk in Canada. For example, 1 gallon of milk costs $2.50 and the equivalent 4 litre bags of milk in Canada costs $4 or so, the last I checked...

It kind of reminds me of gas prices too...less expensive in the USA....For example, 1 gallon of gas costs $2.50 and the equivalent amount of gas in litres in Canada costs $4 or so, the last I checked...

Lol..Wouldn't if be funny if gas was sold in bags, and that we ran our cars with milk instead of gas....

I wonder which one would be better for the dollar...gas or milk....the prices on both seem to be going up almost the same way!

Lol..this reminds me of a funny story my husband and I had with bagged milk:

-It was back in our dating days, and my husband used to drive over the border to Canada to visit me. We used to "share" groceries, where he would bring his American foods over the border to Canada for the both of us to eat, and I would in return share my Canadian groceries for the both of us to eat. So one day, we decided to "switch" milks...He gave me a gallon jug of milk, and I gave him a Canadian milk pitcher, and a three 4 litre bags (lol..how 3 bags equal 4 litres..I never know). So he took the milk back home in the USA...and panacked.....

"Ummm the milk is spilling all over the place in the open pitcher..." (or something like that...he instant messages me online...)

He then tells me that he cut the entire bag in half, poured the milk pitcher and all the milk came spilling out...

Lol..apparently I had forgotten to tell him how to use a Canadian milk pitcher....

So I then had to explain to him that he was supposed to: Shake the bag, Put the bag in the pitcher, Cut a small hole in the corner, and Pour the milk from the pitcher from the hole....

Lesson learned: Teach an American how to use a Canadian milk pitcher before you give it to them!

Lol..needless to say, we still have that pitcher, and still laugh about it....

Oh and then we have other jokes about bagged milk too..(but that's between us...).....

Hmm..maybe I should stock up on bagged milk the next time I cross into Canada...

I wanted to do that last time, I admit, but it was the middle of summer that we went, and we thought the milk would spoil on the way back home...

So instead, I went to a Canadian grocery store, and took a photo of the bagged milk behind the dairy case....

Lol..I still have that photo..makes me laugh too....And makes me miss Canada a bit, I admit....

But if I go during the colder months...maybe I can stock up on that?

Bagged milk and smarties, here I come!

Anyone else like bagged milk too? Any other bagged milk stories around here? Humour me...lol...

Ant

That would be what, gas bags? I think we have enough of those already. :lol:

Milk jugs, sorry I keep fighting the urge to say mammaries, are a pain to pour especially for just a small amount. Wait a minute, people would be likely to pour more milk than they need. That would mean people would use the milk up faster and they'd have to buy more. Then people who just bought milk would go home and feel like a snack, maybe a glass of milk and few cookies, but then they'd pour out too much milk and then they'd empty the milk jug and have to go out and buy more milk. Think about the ramifications, millions of unsuspecting folks getting hooked on the white stuff. Diabolical fiends!!!! We must band together to fight our lactational overlords, just let me get a glass of milk first. :bonk:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I felt like I NEEDED to reply to this post because this is one of the first things I was bewildered about Toronto when I moved here 2 years ago. That and how "university" and "college" are two different things. :lol:

I wondered why the milk was in bags and that you cant reseal the damn thing. Being trained in microbiology, my imagination just went wild with all the possible organisms that can grow the moment you snip a whole in the bag to pour. Not to mention the cross contamination from touching the opened bag in attempts of "folding it" to "close". And I was amused by the little jug that you put the bags in too!!!

I finally did find a store that used to sell milk in the 4L jugs as in the US, but eventually they became bagged too :P

Anyway I dont know why Im even commenting when while I was growing up, I only drank powdered milk because that was what was available :lol: So really, I shouldnt be too critical about bagged ones :P

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Being trained in microbiology, my imagination just went wild with all the possible organisms that can grow the moment you snip a whole in the bag to pour. Not to mention the cross contamination from touching the opened bag in attempts of "folding it" to "close".

dude, this is what i'm saying. but everyone has survived thus far! and i'm a hypochondriac (already mentioned and noted, i'm sure)

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

hah... it's funny this topic came up. I actually recorded an 'instructional video' last year... it's on youtube... for my non-Canadian friends who could NOT wrap their heads around the concept of milk in a bag. lol

I think milk in a jug or carton actually would have more contaminants near the openings than milk from the bag would. No one ever touches the snipped part. There's no folding or closing attempts, yet jug lids or the carton folding parts are constantly touched. ick.

I don't drink much milk (somewhat intolerant), so I don't actually buy the milk in a bag, but the absence of it will just be added to the list of things that make U.S. stores seem weird to me. lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hah... it's funny this topic came up. I actually recorded an 'instructional video' last year... it's on youtube... for my non-Canadian friends who could NOT wrap their heads around the concept of milk in a bag. lol

I think milk in a jug or carton actually would have more contaminants near the openings than milk from the bag would. No one ever touches the snipped part. There's no folding or closing attempts, yet jug lids or the carton folding parts are constantly touched. ick.

I don't drink much milk (somewhat intolerant), so I don't actually buy the milk in a bag, but the absence of it will just be added to the list of things that make U.S. stores seem weird to me. lol

that sounds fun! are you shy about posting the link?

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Timeline

I remember seeing a video or two like that.. maybe one of them was yours :lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

that sounds fun! are you shy about posting the link?

lol yeaaaahh... I don't really want to post it. lol It was just for some friends on a blog community I used to go on, and it is like 2 yrs old and boring anyways. I think I ended up deleting it because some random guy made some rude comment about 'milk jugs' :rolleyes: So I felt weird... lol

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya know, I never thought milk in the bag was weird or unusual, but now that I've experienced the jug system I prefer it. I would always cut the hole too big and then milk would go all over when I tried to poor too fast. Although there is less trash and less waste, I would agree with that.

We have a milk man here and it blows my mind. I guess my experiences with the jugged milk are a little different because of it. We have it delivered fresh to the house, so no weird crusty stuff at the cap or no strange "buy before" dates are involved. And they take back all the jugs and recycle them, so I don't really feel like I'm producing a lot of trash.

Ya know, I never thought milk in the bag was weird or unusual, but now that I've experienced the jug system I prefer it. I would always cut the hole too big and then milk would go all over when I tried to poor too fast. Although there is less trash and less waste, I would agree with that.

We have a milk man here and it blows my mind. I guess my experiences with the jugged milk are a little different because of it. We have it delivered fresh to the house, so no weird crusty stuff at the cap or no strange "buy before" dates are involved. And they take back all the jugs and recycle them, so I don't really feel like I'm producing a lot of trash.

I would LOVE to have a milk man deliver milk in the glass bottles... like this:

milk-bottles-lg.jpg

I don't know why, but I think that'd be so cool :lol:

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

Considering the fact that the temperature at which the milk is stored slows bacterial and other growth, I wouldn't worry about either the jug or the bag. I would think that retrograde flow (countercurrent bacterial movement sounds too much like a lecture on renal physiology for my taste) would be slightly greater in the jug but not sufficient to make any difference. I do hate the crust that builds up around the lip of the jug when pouring milk at slight angles from the vertical. I still think that the jug is a device by the milk industry to make people drink more milk. A bag of milk weighs less and is easier to control when pouring. This is not mere supposition, why do beer cans have a larger opening? To increase beer flow and consumption. Now compare a small slit in a bag of milk the size of which the consumer can control with the opening of a jug which is determined by the producer. None dare call it conspiracy. :bonk:

IR5

Timeline

Don't you grab the back of the bag with the other hand?

I'm sorry but when you mentioned a milkman and deliveries I immediately thought of this:

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would LOVE to have a milk man deliver milk in the glass bottles... like this:

milk-bottles-lg.jpg

I don't know why, but I think that'd be so cool :lol:

:lol: that would be! But unfortunately ours come in plastic jugs... But we do have a milk box on the front step! It makes me feel so 1935.

Don't you grab the back of the bag with the other hand?

No... Does that help? I've never been told to do that! Just great. I struggle with it for years, move to the US and THEN learn how to cut the milk bag... :P

I responded flippantly to something earlier in this thread, but on a more serious note...

I've never bought milk in a bag, nor was it something I grew up with. In fact, I don't think I've ever even drank milk from a bag -- I certainly don't recall ever pouring it or even being in the presence of someone using bag milk. And yes, I've lived my whole life in Canada.

Perhaps us West-coasters are milk-bag deprived?

I like milk cartons. They have an integrated lactose directional device. I don't think my coffee, soup or cereal experiences would be as rich without them.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.