DoneWaiting

BRAZIL K1 Process/Experience, Feedback, Concerns, Advise

244 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody, hope you all are in good health... It seems we been getting good news from those we been following your cases. Approvals, Arrivals in the USA and hopefully soon the AOS.

Thank God, I already started my Adjustment of Status for my wife and everything seems to be moving at normal speed. When you guys are ready for those changes/process we will more than happy to give you feedback..

Wishing you all the best and much more..

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got across this information in another forum and figured it will be good for those still pending and the rest of us that are/will be processing the second phase [AOS]..

As you know, you can track your status, with limit information of course, but the USCIS has implemented a new "system" where you get notification every time someone touch/works in your case.. these are the links..

Sign-up here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/termscondi...ntextType=CU_EN

Track your case here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

They have that for the I129F, too, and I'm pretty sure you can sign up for that for the EAD and AP in addition to the AOS. :)

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

I got across this information in another forum and figured it will be good for those still pending and the rest of us that are/will be processing the second phase [AOS]..

As you know, you can track your status, with limit information of course, but the USCIS has implemented a new "system" where you get notification every time someone touch/works in your case.. these are the links..

Sign-up here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/termscondi...ntextType=CU_EN

Track your case here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp

Thank you!

The first link though is broken here... maybe its my browser? (Google Chrome)

It's not been a week yet that I am here in Oklahoma City, and I haven't done anything else about the process yet. I've read here on the VJ guides that I should wait 2 weeks to apply for my SSN. Is that what you guys did? Or should I go ahead and tackle that out of the way? It just feels ODD to be calm and relaxed, I need something to worry about and stress over, come on!! :lol:

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Here is the link again, https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/termscondi...ntextType=CU_EN

We waited a couple of weeks to go to the SS Office. In theory, you don’t have to wait but is recommended... For now, I think is best for you to acclimate to the new life, your new home, city, town and plan in advance the future steps.. but if you want something to worry about, LOL, start putting together all the applications you will need in the future I-485, I-131, I-765, I-693, G-325A, I-864, and cover letter.

I am such a planner and I organized all the paperwork and material to properly submit the necessary changes to my wife way in advance. I did three different letters, one for the AOS, another for the EAD and the last for the AP.

You will have enough work when putting together the process your adjustment of status, so take it easy and enjoy your time here..

Thank you!

The first link though is broken here... maybe its my browser? (Google Chrome)

It's not been a week yet that I am here in Oklahoma City, and I haven't done anything else about the process yet. I've read here on the VJ guides that I should wait 2 weeks to apply for my SSN. Is that what you guys did? Or should I go ahead and tackle that out of the way? It just feels ODD to be calm and relaxed, I need something to worry about and stress over, come on!! :lol:

Wife'sTime Line My link

Here is the link again, https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/termscondi...ntextType=CU_EN

We waited a couple of weeks to go to the SS Office. In theory, you don’t have to wait but is recommended... For now, I think is best for you to acclimate to the new life, your new home, city, town and plan in advance the future steps.. but if you want something to worry about, LOL, start putting together all the applications you will need in the future I-485, I-131, I-765, I-693, G-325A, I-864, and cover letter.

I am such a planner and I organized all the paperwork and material to properly submit the necessary changes to my wife way in advance. I did three different letters, one for the AOS, another for the EAD and the last for the AP.

You will have enough work when putting together the process your adjustment of status, so take it easy and enjoy your time here..

Alrighty Sir, I shall wait! I am actually getting used to not beign worried and just spending my days organizing shoes, clothes and infecting this house with girly stuff. At night I put James to drag the furniture where I want it to be :dance:

We also want to have everything taken care of smoothly and on the right time. But we also would like to get married in March, around the first two weeks, but we don't know if SSN is necessary to get married. We are guessing so because of the guide in VJ. We'll call the court clerk and ask, but I want to ask here too if doing so is bad for my imigration stuff or if its alright. Just affraid we get an employee who never dealt with imigration status and can't inform properly.

No big deal if the wedding is not in March though, just wanted to make a combo of our both birthdays and his parents anniversary. If the combo doesn't happen, well, we'll have to have more special celebration dinners! :dance:

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

I am not sure about your state, but in New York no need of the SS in order to get a marriage license. I am positive in all or most of the states is the same guide as the immigration status of the individual doesn’t over rule the county clerk office. Some states, require waiting period after getting the license.. for now, gather the require information and forms require from your state and continue moving things around the house, I mean continue telling James, LOL

Alrighty Sir, I shall wait! I am actually getting used to not beign worried and just spending my days organizing shoes, clothes and infecting this house with girly stuff. At night I put James to drag the furniture where I want it to be :dance:

We also want to have everything taken care of smoothly and on the right time. But we also would like to get married in March, around the first two weeks, but we don't know if SSN is necessary to get married. We are guessing so because of the guide in VJ. We'll call the court clerk and ask, but I want to ask here too if doing so is bad for my imigration stuff or if its alright. Just affraid we get an employee who never dealt with imigration status and can't inform properly.

No big deal if the wedding is not in March though, just wanted to make a combo of our both birthdays and his parents anniversary. If the combo doesn't happen, well, we'll have to have more special celebration dinners! :dance:

Edited by ImWaiting

Wife'sTime Line My link

Timeline

SSN is not required in OKC -- here are the requirements. Passport works, as it proves age & identity.

We're going with one cover letter, because I'm lazy.

United States Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Attention: AOS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5520

DATE

Nature of the submission: I-485 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION, based off of a K1 visa

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find our Form I-485, Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application for [redacted] (and supporting documents), as well as a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization for [redacted] (and supporting documentation), and a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document for [redacted] (and supporting documentation). This is an adjustment off of his approved I-129F ([redacted]) petition and K1 visa ([redacted]).

Contents include:

• Payment for the I-485, $1010 (Check #).
  • Form I-1485 (Immediate Relative Family Based Adjustment of Status)
    • Copy of criminal history (federal and state)
    • Copy of birth certificate, with certified English translation.
    • Copy of Passport
    • Copy of K-1 visa
    • Copy of valid I-94 (front, back).
    • 2x Passport photos
    • I-693 Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status
      • DS-3025 Vaccination supplement

[*] 4x G-325A Biographical information

[*] I-864 Affidavit of Support

• 2007 federal taxes
      • 2008 federal taxes
      • 2009 federal taxes
      • Most recent paystub

[*] Evidence of eligibility

• Certified copy of marriage certificate
      • Copy of NOA2 Approval for the I-129F.

[*] Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)

• Copy of valid I-94 (front, back)
    • Copy of K1 visa
    • 2x Passport photos

[*] Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document)

• Copy of passport with a biographical page
    • Copy of K1 visa
    • 2x Passport photos

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and we understand that we may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

Edited by K and L

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

SSN is not required to get married BUT it's required to open up a bank account, to have healthy insurance...

I suggest you to wait 2 weeks after your POE date and go to the SS Office to get your SSN. You just need your passport and you'll receive the card in 2 weeks.

IF you decide to get married before apply for SSN, you'll have to wait your Permanent Resident Card to get your SSN as your married name is not the name on SAVE database and they won't do it.

After have your PR Card, you can go back to change your name on your SSN.

Editing to say: It's how it's done in San Francisco/CA

Edited by beinha

My life is perfect now, I'm here with my love and everything is great! I feel blessed, thank you God for all your plans, they are way better than I could have ever asked for.

Thank you for the answers guys. I believe it's safer to do it in the SSN -> wedding order, so that the government has my maiden's name registered at least somewhere. I did read somewhere in here a person having an issue for doing SSN directly on the married name, but I can't recall what it was. But you guys made me remember that doing it first might be safer, thank you.

That brought me another doubt: do I need to wait to receive the SSN card to know my SSN number? Or do they tell me once I register?

Also, do I need to wait for the SSN number / card to get married, or can I go ahead, get married, wait SSN card to arrive and then go change the name on it? Just looking forward to set the wedding date...

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

If you are sending the G325A, you only need on copy.. but if you feel better sending 4 is all up to you..

If you are sending copy of your tax returns, also attach copies of the W2 forms to each return. If you are sending transcripts, then you wont need the W2s.

SSN is not required in OKC -- here are the requirements. Passport works, as it proves age & identity.

We're going with one cover letter, because I'm lazy.

Wife'sTime Line My link

Thank you for the answers guys. I believe it's safer to do it in the SSN -> wedding order, so that the government has my maiden's name registered at least somewhere. I did read somewhere in here a person having an issue for doing SSN directly on the married name, but I can't recall what it was. But you guys made me remember that doing it first might be safer, thank you.

That brought me another doubt: do I need to wait to receive the SSN card to know my SSN number? Or do they tell me once I register?

You will not know the # until the card arrive.

Also, do I need to wait for the SSN number / card to get married, or can I go ahead, get married, wait SSN card to arrive and then go change the name on it? Just looking forward to set the wedding date...

You don’t need to have a SS # or Card in order to get marry.

In our Case, we change the name after we got marry. We didn't have any problems.. we provided evidence of the marriage and their application required. we are expecting the new card with her new name

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

--> They won't tell you because they don't know it. Once you register on SS it goes to Baltimore to be processed and order. Ask them to put the address as this: Carolina Full Maiden Name c/o James Full Name. Because the mail man won't know you (your name) and as the SS Card is sensitive material they just don't leave it as it, so if you put your husband-to-be name (yeah), the mail man will reconize. I'm telling you that cause it happened to me. I had to go back to the SS Office and they had to order it again as my SSN was back in Baltimore. At this time, she gave me a paper with my SSN and I could use for Bank Account, Healthy Insurance and all. In 7 days I got my card here, finally.

--> You don't need the SSN to get married. But you must apply for your SSN BEFORE you get married to have it on your maiden name, the same name on the SAVE database so you don't have future problems. Go to the SS Officer, order your card, go get married at the same day, no problem.

My life is perfect now, I'm here with my love and everything is great! I feel blessed, thank you God for all your plans, they are way better than I could have ever asked for.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
If you are sending the G325A, you only need on copy.. but if you feel better sending 4 is all up to you..

Thanks for finding my typo! :whistle:

Not sure if this will help any of you. My wife called the doctor's offince indicated by Beinha and got an email response from them (below)

Changes since then:

- 3 photos instead of 1 are required

- The consultation is now R$220 instead of R$200

- Blood test does NOT test for HIV (as per change in policy)

- HPV vaccination is not listed (as per change in policy)

And adding to the list of things to know about... while I've not yet done it, we plan to, and as you can tell (by us already having our AOS paperwork done except for POE / A# / photocopies of the I94/K1/passport), I've been coping with the wait for the rest of the K1 by planning wedding and post-wedding stuff :P

Registering your marriage in Brazil

Registering your marriage with Brazil varies slightly by consulate. All of them require you either bring the papers in personally or pick them up personally. Most of them only have information about registering marriages (and births) in the Portuguese side of the consular website.

The required documents, according to the Chicago consulate, are:

► You will need to fill out their registration form (as it is not the same consulate to consulate).

► The Brazilian party(parties) will need a copy of their birth certificate that is no more than 6 months old OR (and forgive my poor Portuguese and lack of understanding of the intricacies of Brazilian documentation) a marriage certificates showing the death of the previous spouse or divorce OR a notarized statement from 2 Brazilians testifying s/he was single prior to the marriage.

► The non-Brazilian party will need their birth certificate and if they were previously married, a death certificate or divorce decree.

► A certified copy of the marriage certificate

► A money order: $20 for the registration, plus $5 per copy, paid by money order

Other notes:

► Chicago allows you to mail the documentation the week before and have you finish the paperwork (you must sign it there to be properly notarized) when you pick it up

► You will need to submit the document to a cartório in Brazil (either to D.F. or the one for their birth city). It will not be finalized until you do so.

Processing time:

Miami offers same-day service.

Chicago and New York requires a minimum of 5 days.

Thank you for that information on registering the marriage in Brazil!

We'll probably marry on the 20th of March, just waiting the answer from the priest to be 100% sure. Planning on something cozy and simple at his parent's place, gonna shop for a dress this weekend :)

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.