arwensun1965

Need a bit of help

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey Janice,

Resume/CV looks good.

Brought back memories when I saw your CO3 lol. I was a CO3 for BR/NSE/Thames Trains lol.

Oh the glorious fun days I had working for the railway. P!ssed up every weekend hehehehe

Anyway, it might help to focus on the kinds of jobs that you want to apply for, then add your main selling point etc to it.

This is how I did my CV:

Name

Personal Profile

Listed my qualities and experience with software packages etc.

Professional Experience

Listed all employment, (using bullets) and a general list of what I did etc

I did include Education, but not sure that really is necessary.

Hope this helps a little, I know there are more experienced VJ'ers out there with extensive CV/Resume knowledge.

Good luck finding a job.

Jo & Michael

K1

29th Jun 03 - Applied for I-129f

12th Jan 05 - Interview at Embassy

AOS

20th Apr 05 - Mailed AOS and paperwork to Chicago.

27th Oct 05 - Received Green Card in Mail (2 yr Conditional)

I-751

24th Jul 07 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

27th Jul 07 - I-751 Received at TSC (Transferred to CSC)

17th Aug 07 - Check Cleared

20th Aug 07 - NOA received (2 NOA's both with dif. receipt #'s for the same thing hmmm..)

30th Aug 07 - ACS Biometrics letters received

21st Sep 07 - Biometrics appointment at Charlotte

1st Nov 07 - Case status online reads "Card production ordered"

3rd Nov 07 - Greencard received in mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Summary Experience

Provided travel arrangements and ticket bookings to the public, giving directions and guidance when applicable. I also have extensive knowledge of proprietary computer system for the United Kingdom railway system.

I agree with charles - take out proprietary - what does it mean anyways? If you leave this part in, maybe coming up with 3 or 4 strong bulleted statements would be better than 2 long sentences. Emphasize that you have 4 years in the railway field. Hmm maybe even change this to a skills summary instead of experience summary because all of this experience is repeated in the work history.

Career Goals

To work in a challenging environment where my current skills can be utilized to their fullest while continuing to develop new skills.

Definitely make this more detailed and specific depending on the job your applying for.

Work History

Job Title South West Trains 2001-2005 , City Name, Country (if outside US)

Responsible for supervision of employees within the ticket office

Supervised ticket office employees

Assisted with the induction and training of new employees.

Trained and oriented (maybe not the best word but something like that) new employees

Experienced problem solver, ability to resolve disputes to customer satisfaction.

Resolved customer disputes...(add more)

Responsible for financial transactions including balance and deposit of the daily takings.

Processed financial transactions including balance and deposit of the daily takings. (must be better word than takings - profits maybe)

Provided vacation and sick leave relief within a network of ticket offices.

Farnborough College of Technology (Student) 1998-2001 what classes did you take? anything relevant to your field?

Home Maker 1994-1998

Dzus Fasteners 1991-1994

Shalibane Engineering 1990-1991

Training

Extensive computer training acquired at the Farnborough College of Technology, Farnborough, United Kingdom. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.

what kind of education did you receive? Maybe this might be better put under an Education heading before work experience or after work experience depending on what you consider to be more outstanding.

How is this???????

My suggestions are above. The resume really changes with the type of job you apply for. Especially if you look for jobs outside of the work experience you have...then you really have to show the transferrable skills you have. It's a good start.

(It's so much more fun working on somone else's resume than my own. hehe :-))

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I am not sure if anyone suggested this, but numbers always look good. So where you are writing that you supervised employees, the number of employees catches the eye.

It shows the supervisory level you held.

B

Andreas & Bridgett

3dflagsdotcom_greec_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

Kisses.jpg

January 29, 2006 - WE GOT ENGAGED!!

March 20, 2006- mail K-1 VISA (certified & return receipt).

March 22, 2006 - Vermont office receives our application.

March 23, 2006 - NOA1

March 24, 2006 - Check is cashed

April 22, 2006 - Receive email from USCIS that RFE is mailed for more information.

April 28, 2006 - Receive RFE in the mail. Need final divorce decree from Andreas.

June 20, 2006 - 2nd RFE (IMBRA)

June 23, 2006 - Received RFE (IMBRA) in the mail.

June 24, 2006 - FedEx IMBRA RFE to Vermont office.

June 27, 2006 - Vermont Office received IMBRA RFE.

July 3, 2006 - Touched

July 12, 2005 - Fedex request for extension for the 1st RFE.

July 17, 2006 - Deadline for 1st RFE.

July 18, 2006 - Touched

July 19, 2006 - Touched

July 20, 2006 - Touched

August 6, 2006 - Touched

August 17, 2006 - Touched and email that a letter has been sent with regards to RFE.

August 23, 2006 - Letter received, we got the extension I requested, they allowed us 3 MORE MONTHS!!!

October 27, 2006 - Papers mailed by courier from Athens.

Filed: Timeline
Oh the glorious fun days I had working for the railway. P!ssed up every weekend hehehehe

Do not think anything changes lmao must be something about the railway hehehehe

One more question ...Does it matter if the resume is longer than 1 page??? I mean I do not want to write my whole life history but if I do not put my work experience than its 1 page but if I write about all of them then it is going to be more than one page and I have this nagging feeling that potential employers are not going to be interested in what I did 10 years ago!!!!

Edited by arwensun1965

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm in teaching and our resumes are a little different, but I have always heard resumes should not be longer then a page.

Ok, the real advice I have to give is that James went to see an HR guy I know about resume tips today and he said to include EAD info, as all previous experience makes it clear hes not a USC, so when you get one, I would include your EAD and its #

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I would be a bit weary of including the EAD #, maybe include that you are authorised to work etc, but don't include the actual # itself, that is like giving out your bank #.

Just my thought about giving out #'s etc.

Do not think anything changes lmao must be something about the railway hehehehe

You can always count on a good ole p up with the railway. lol

Jo & Michael

K1

29th Jun 03 - Applied for I-129f

12th Jan 05 - Interview at Embassy

AOS

20th Apr 05 - Mailed AOS and paperwork to Chicago.

27th Oct 05 - Received Green Card in Mail (2 yr Conditional)

I-751

24th Jul 07 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

27th Jul 07 - I-751 Received at TSC (Transferred to CSC)

17th Aug 07 - Check Cleared

20th Aug 07 - NOA received (2 NOA's both with dif. receipt #'s for the same thing hmmm..)

30th Aug 07 - ACS Biometrics letters received

21st Sep 07 - Biometrics appointment at Charlotte

1st Nov 07 - Case status online reads "Card production ordered"

3rd Nov 07 - Greencard received in mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My best friend works in HR.

Absolutey....unless you've won the nobel prize...don't make it longer than one page. They won't look at it.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Lots of great advice already - no good for me to add words...except good luck and go get 'em! :D

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks everyone you have been great and notice has been taken :D:D

If you want I can email you my template for my resume. I've been told its fairly good.

One page is definitely the rule! Unless you're applying internally then you can make it a little longer

Edited by erekose