Bralaheh

sending money to my fiance

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline
i live in the US (kentucky) and my fiance lives in Canada (Toronto) and due to extreme situations she is going through at home I am going to have to get her an apartment. She currently doesn't have a job so I'm going to send her money. what is the best way to do this?

The best way, if your bank will let you, is to send her an ATM card and let withdraw money. We did this for a while but then the bank cut it off, I understand some banks allow it. I could not add my fiancee to the account until she arrived here and went in person to the bank.

Other than that, moneygram is cheaper than Western Union. I do a lot of cross border business and have in th past. Any kind of check or money order is held by banks as a "foreign check" and can delay availability of funds for up to 20 days. I hate to mail cash, but any bank in Canada will exchange it for her, or she can just deposit it. The current exchnage is almost par (YAY...big boost for Northern Vermont!)

I agree with Gary. Before I left for Belarus, I opened another checking account, in my name, with a link to my main account. I advised the bank that this card will be used overseas for an indefinite period. I gave her the card, with a pin she had previously selected, and now she uses it whenever she needs it. I can monitor the expenses from here and transfer funds online, immediatley. She cannot use it for purchases as it is in my name, but only for cash withdrawals. Works great.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
i live in the US (kentucky) and my fiance lives in Canada (Toronto) and due to extreme situations she is going through at home I am going to have to get her an apartment. She currently doesn't have a job so I'm going to send her money. what is the best way to do this?

I would get a Paypal account. I think the charge is $5.00. By the way. We are thinking of moving to Louisville. What is your take on the city? Thanks! :)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I use PayPal. You can automatically convert the funds from one currency to another. It's free to sign up for an account, and it's very secure. My fiance is the one paying for all of the steps for the immigration, but I'm the one writing the checks, so he just transfers the money to me, and I transfer it into my account. It takes about 3 days, and converts from GBP to USD in PayPal. Worth having a look!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I've found PayPal to be infinitely cheaper and easier than any kind of money wiring service, and the fees for Western Union and the like to be completely extortionate. I've sent well above $10,000 USD to my fiancée via PayPal, and I've paid a total of.. let me check.. $40 USD in fees, because I picked the wrong payment type for one transfer. All but that one transfer have been subject to no fees at all.

It truly must be with the help of divine intervention that after entering into this well-defined bureaucratic process, we were blessed with the expected outcome within the predefined timeline. Praise deities!

I-129F timeline

-----

02-09-09 - I-129F sent.

02-11-09 - NOA1.

06-15-09 - NOA2.

08-27-09 - Packet 3 received.

10-03-09 - Packet 4 received.

10-08-09 - Interview date - Approved. (Visa in hand 10-16-09)

02-03-10 - Date of entry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.