lgg

Travel help...

94 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Commies for Christ is just a fun little offshoot thread in the Off Topic forum -- people just go there to be silly and rib one another and such. Some fun people in there and lively conversations and a little ribald stuff -- people there tend not to filter the conversations as much as they would in the upper informational threads and such.

If you go to Off Topic, you'll find the the Commies for Christ thread. I will be honest, I sort of got 'recruited' but I neither a commie nor am I a religious sort of person but as you will see, it has nothing to do with either of those monikers so...

Hope that's the 'enlightenment' you were looking for -- it's all I've got. I find that this site is the ONLY site that I have ever spent any time on in about a decade and it's funny how it's become kind of meaningful to me in terms of information and camaraderie... and both those things are important when you're going through stuff like this...

:)

OH please explain! You all are making my Sunday morning a wealth of knowledge and good conversation!

I'm all ears, kricket!

It may not look like it in my avatar but if you look closely at my big, green head....

;)

They've partnered with Westjet now. (Southwest) In fact, before they even did that, they totally reminded me of each other because they're always joking on the PA system.

Oh. They have a different seating plan than any other airline. Are you familiar with that at all, or shall I explain?

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

I enjoy Southwest, always great service. What was that TV show,it was all centered on Southwests crew, it was pretty funny! Last time I flew southwest, ur boarding was all based on when u signed in for ur flight--which one can do within 24 hrs of ur flight! So the earlier u sign in (via internet) the quicker you got on the plane, thus could choose whatever seat u wanted

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

REALLY????

Those cheeky, cheeky monkeys!

That's actually pretty cool. Good thing that I am a perfect mix of type A and type B personality -- I am that person that as soon as my boarding pass becomes available online -- I am checking in!

I can't stand the not knowing and the not being prepared but YET, I am Miss. Whatever....

It ain't easy being green....

I enjoy Southwest, always great service. What was that TV show,it was all centered on Southwests crew, it was pretty funny! Last time I flew southwest, ur boarding was all based on when u signed in for ur flight--which one can do within 24 hrs of ur flight! So the earlier u sign in (via internet) the quicker you got on the plane, thus could choose whatever seat u wanted

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Lgg,

Thanks for the info about the "commies"...I feel so "enlightened" now!...:idea:

And to think, all these years on vj, I never knew about such...lol....will have to check that off-topic fun thread out sometime...

I'm usually on the Canada boards or the immigration-specific boards (for example, right now I'm on the N-400 boards), so have no clue about the off topics (except for the Baby Corner board, that I dropped into a couple of times). Guess I must have missed the Commies along the way....

I agree, this is the main site that I've spent so much time on over the years. And yes, in the years, I have met so many new people (both online and in-person) and have learned so many things along the way too. Oh yeah, if we're all in this immigration journey, then let's go through it all together! Not too many people understand about all this immigration stuff...and to find others that are going through the same/similar thing, it helps and is very supportive too!

Sigh...It's going to be sad when my immigration journey will end soon..... :crying: But then again...maybe I can stick around...VJ is too addicting to quit!

Ant

Commies for Christ is just a fun little offshoot thread in the Off Topic forum -- people just go there to be silly and rib one another and such. Some fun people in there and lively conversations and a little ribald stuff -- people there tend not to filter the conversations as much as they would in the upper informational threads and such.

If you go to Off Topic, you'll find the the Commies for Christ thread. I will be honest, I sort of got 'recruited' but I neither a commie nor am I a religious sort of person but as you will see, it has nothing to do with either of those monikers so...

Hope that's the 'enlightenment' you were looking for -- it's all I've got. I find that this site is the ONLY site that I have ever spent any time on in about a decade and it's funny how it's become kind of meaningful to me in terms of information and camaraderie... and both those things are important when you're going through stuff like this...

OH please explain! You all are making my Sunday morning a wealth of knowledge and good conversation!

I'm all ears, kricket!

It may not look like it in my avatar but if you look closely at my big, green head....

;)

They've partnered with Westjet now. (Southwest) In fact, before they even did that, they totally reminded me of each other because they're always joking on the PA system.

Oh. They have a different seating plan than any other airline. Are you familiar with that at all, or shall I explain?

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline

24 hours before your flight, copy your confirmation # and then check in online. Your boarding pass will be displayed, and it will have an A, B, or C #. (The holy grail is to obtain the lowest possible A #. lol) When you get to the departure gate there will be stainless steal cylinders with the numbers engraved on them in groups of 5. You line up according to your group. The A group boards first. If you received # A34, you would be the first to line up and stand next to the corresponding number on the cylinder. Once onboard the plane you pick a seat and sit down. If you suck and you received C64 you board last and end up in the middle seat between the two people no one else wanted to sit beside. lol.

They used to load the infirm and the small children before everyone else. I liked that because I could find a seat nowhere near them. :) Now they do the infirm first, then the A seating, and then the small children. Unless the small children have A #'s better than yours then they will board after you. Oh well. Tis a short flight.

iagree.gif

Timeline

You should stick around! I can't say where I'll be when my time comes -- I DO know that after two years I have to go through some process of applying for my 10 year green card and I do plan on becoming a citizen so... I'll have to be here! ;)

I hope to never find myself in the Thread of Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits talking about getting divorced or some such thing!!!

I kid... bad joke...

No one here understand what it's like -- my best friends of which there were two, have basically bailed mid way. i'm not sure why or if it's my pending leaving but I don't have the support system in terms of friends. people are like, why aren't you there? is he coming here? Why are you still here? Stop talking about immigration!

Um. Okay. Major life change here, people. It's not easy and there are a million things hinged to it -- it's scary. I don't need anyone to baby me -- but hanging out and making me feel respected and cared about should be fairly easy, I would think.

Perhaps I'm wrong?

Hi Lgg,

Thanks for the info about the "commies"...I feel so "enlightened" now!...:idea:

And to think, all these years on vj, I never knew about such...lol....will have to check that off-topic fun thread out sometime...

I'm usually on the Canada boards or the immigration-specific boards (for example, right now I'm on the N-400 boards), so have no clue about the off topics (except for the Baby Corner board, that I dropped into a couple of times). Guess I must have missed the Commies along the way....

I agree, this is the main site that I've spent so much time on over the years. And yes, in the years, I have met so many new people (both online and in-person) and have learned so many things along the way too. Oh yeah, if we're all in this immigration journey, then let's go through it all together! Not too many people understand about all this immigration stuff...and to find others that are going through the same/similar thing, it helps and is very supportive too!

Sigh...It's going to be sad when my immigration journey will end soon..... :crying: But then again...maybe I can stick around...VJ is too addicting to quit!

Ant

I'm all ears, kricket!

;)

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

I slightly love that ! ANd yes, it's a short flight and I generally don't care I am the girl wearing headphones the whole time BUT a lot of the time it's so that no one talks to me and the iPod is off...

;)

I love it. I am excited. And you know what? I actually sort of love the adventure of doing this. I really do. What I do NOT love, is the very real notion that the weather could kick up and cause everything to grind to a halt. It's the downside to living in this part of the snow belt. OH well...

:D

24 hours before your flight, copy your confirmation # and then check in online. Your boarding pass will be displayed, and it will have an A, B, or C #. (The holy grail is to obtain the lowest possible A #. lol) When you get to the departure gate there will be stainless steal cylinders with the numbers engraved on them in groups of 5. You line up according to your group. The A group boards first. If you received # A34, you would be the first to line up and stand next to the corresponding number on the cylinder. Once onboard the plane you pick a seat and sit down. If you suck and you received C64 you board last and end up in the middle seat between the two people no one else wanted to sit beside. lol.

They used to load the infirm and the small children before everyone else. I liked that because I could find a seat nowhere near them. :) Now they do the infirm first, then the A seating, and then the small children. Unless the small children have A #'s better than yours then they will board after you. Oh well. Tis a short flight.

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Timeline

Yeah. It's always a bit iffy in the wintertime. But at least you won't have to worry about a connecting flight. :)

Plus, if you're a real adventurer.... sometimes they ask for volunteers to give up their seats and take the next flight, and will compensate you with a $200 travel voucher (and a hotel room if you have to stay overnight). That always comes in handy when you're on a budget. :)

iagree.gif

Timeline

Hi All.

I have taken the TO - NY and TO - BUF buses many times.

Megabus is awesome. It really is as cheap as it says and it always leaves on time. There are times that traffic does cause delays on arrival but it also goes right to the airport which is super convienient. Megabus is run by Coach Canada/USA but is cheaper. I have taken the bus from Toronto to NYC probably about 10 times and each time it only costs a $1.

The border can be very stressful. Make sure you have all your documents.

I had to show the following items:

Proof of Employment

Residence in Canada

Copy of return ticket

Copy of Immigration application/file

Once you get through the border piece the rest is easy.

There are however 2 airports in the area. BUF is the code for the airport in Buffalo. There is also a little airport in Niagara Fall, NY. I know it has a shuttle service to Myrtle Beach not sure how many other flights are run out of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
HA!!!!!!!

YOu just made me laugh out LOUD!!!

I was planning on wearing the jersey I got last time I was there.

Little secret for you all? My love of the Ravens is partly due to affiliation BUT I love the fact that an NFL football team is named after a great literary reference.

But the Raven, sitting lonely on that placid bust, spoke only

That one word, as if its soul in that one word he did outpour

Nothing farther then he uttered; not a feather then he fluttered--

Till I scarcely more than muttered: "Other friends have flown before--

On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before."

Then the bird said "Nevermore."

Eddie Allen Poe

;)

I went to a Ravens game a few weeks ago, here is a picture for you

post-44394-1255905878_thumb.jpg

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Timeline
There are however 2 airports in the area. BUF is the code for the airport in Buffalo. There is also a little airport in Niagara Fall, NY. I know it has a shuttle service to Myrtle Beach not sure how many other flights are run out of it.

Oh that's right..there are 2 airports int the area..my mistake there before in saying that there was only 1 airport in the Buffalo area :blush: . Lol..that goes to show how much I fly (lol..I don't fly, I drive...). The Niagara Falls one I think they shut down for awhile for renovations, so maybe that's why it didn't occur to me about that either. They just re-opened it up again a few months ago, I think. Not sure if they only do domestic or if they do international and domestic too. Nevertheless, most people fly out of Buffalo instead, as there seem to be more flights there and better deals from there.

Hmm...maybe I should go flying someday (lol..will have to convince my husband to get his first US passport though...doubt he'll agree to it..lol...)

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

That is awesome!

:D

HA!!!!!!!

YOu just made me laugh out LOUD!!!

I was planning on wearing the jersey I got last time I was there.

Little secret for you all? My love of the Ravens is partly due to affiliation BUT I love the fact that an NFL football team is named after a great literary reference.

But the Raven, sitting lonely on that placid bust, spoke only

That one word, as if its soul in that one word he did outpour

Nothing farther then he uttered; not a feather then he fluttered--

Till I scarcely more than muttered: "Other friends have flown before--

On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before."

Then the bird said "Nevermore."

Eddie Allen Poe

;)

I went to a Ravens game a few weeks ago, here is a picture for you

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

I wouldn't worry about it -- the airport code is NFIA and wouldn't be easily confused for something Buffalo related like BUF or BNIA which are basically the same airport. BUF is the actual airport code used for flight info and BNIA is some other 'majiggy...

Yes, my research came up with 'majiggy...

;)

Oh that's right..there are 2 airports int the area..my mistake there before in saying that there was only 1 airport in the Buffalo area :blush: . Lol..that goes to show how much I fly (lol..I don't fly, I drive...). The Niagara Falls one I think they shut down for awhile for renovations, so maybe that's why it didn't occur to me about that either. They just re-opened it up again a few months ago, I think. Not sure if they only do domestic or if they do international and domestic too. Nevertheless, most people fly out of Buffalo instead, as there seem to be more flights there and better deals from there.

Hmm...maybe I should go flying someday (lol..will have to convince my husband to get his first US passport though...doubt he'll agree to it..lol...)

Ant

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here are a few more :D Even though I don't like football at all, it was a fun day!!

post-44394-1255911204_thumb.jpg

post-44394-1255911229_thumb.jpg

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.