lgg

Travel help...

94 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh... here's a link to the Coach Bus Schedule to the airport -- not sure if there is more than one airport in Buffalo but if so, let me know.

Coach Bus_Airport schedule

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Lgg,

Interesting to learn that there is a direct bus from Toronto to the Buffalo airport. Never knew about that before....Learning something new each day..;)

But yeah, it's better to get the direct bus there, than to stopover in Buffalo (unless you want to though).

Smart in you doing your extra research there... :thumbs:

And $60...not bad...sounds like a good deal there for the bus tickets.

And 3 hrs sounds about right for the bus travel times...(though again, allow room for delays).

Oh by the way, forgot to mention: Coach Canada tickets are "open" return tickets, which means you can use your return tickets anytime (within reason though, I think within a year) and not be tied into any specified date to return back.

Lol..There's only one airport in Buffalo. Too small of a city for another airport! (heck, I'm surprised that Buffalo even has an airport at all)

The next nearest airport is the Rochester, NY Airport. Not sure if they have flights to BWI or not...But you're better off going to Buffalo, NY instead.

But yeah, the easiest and quickest is to get from Toronto to Buffalo, as the buses frequently travel between those two cities.

Good deal that you got there too, with the $150 flight to BWI too.

Happy Holiday Travels!

Ant

Oh... here's a link to the Coach Bus Schedule to the airport -- not sure if there is more than one airport in Buffalo but if so, let me know.

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Ha! Cool -- its' what I thought but an FYI for you, when I was researching, they had the Buffalo airport code as BUF and BIFA or something. That had my confused.

Cool. Thanks so much for you information and feedback. I will take the bus right to the airport -- if I can avoid any other buses/trains/boats/dogsleds/ferries/rickshaws I'd be happy as the more modes of travel in one day, the greater the chance of a mess up!

Thanks again...

:)

LGG

PS... I also love to research -- it's my thing.

Hi Lgg,

Interesting to learn that there is a direct bus from Toronto to the Buffalo airport. Never knew about that before....Learning something new each day..;)

But yeah, it's better to get the direct bus there, than to stopover in Buffalo (unless you want to though).

Smart in you doing your extra research there... :thumbs:

And $60...not bad...sounds like a good deal there for the bus tickets.

And 3 hrs sounds about right for the bus travel times...(though again, allow room for delays).

Lol..There's only one airport in Buffalo. Too small of a city for another airport! (heck, I'm surprised that Buffalo even has an airport at all)

The next nearest airport is the Rochester, NY Airport. Not sure if they have flights to BWI or not...But you're better off going to Buffalo, NY instead.

But yeah, the easiest and quickest is to get from Toronto to Buffalo, as the buses frequently travel between those two cities.

Good deal that you got there too, with the $150 flight to BWI too.

Happy Holiday Travels!

Ant

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Timeline
I have decided that the train to Buffalo is most likely a no go as god, it's 5 or 6 hours! Geez.

:unsure:

What the heck? It's a 2 hour trip by Amtrak. lol

Southwest is my most favourite airline in the whole wide world. :luv:

Download their DING program and you can watch for daily specials. It's the best way to get cheap flights.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Two hours? If that were th e case, I'd be there no problem...

Check this out, Krikit and let me know if I'm mistaken -- there's a transfer at the border, I think...

Amtrak Toronto to Buffalo

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

One could also consider DCA (ronald reagan) and IAD (dulles) airports, as they are only 45 min from Baltimore Airport. As long a sur family is willing to drive it! Very easy to go from DCA to BWI by metro as well

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I always consider those as options too but there is no flight price difference -- they aren't cheaper. One time I DID fly into Dulles and man, did we ever sit in the Washington DC post work traffic for a good few hours. It was fine, we talked and laughed the whole time. BWI is closer to where we live so...

I've used all those airports to be frank -- BWI's my fave -- for some reason it is NEVER crowded or busy. It's a sweet little airport.

Thanks FLames...

One could also consider DCA (ronald reagan) and IAD (dulles) airports, as they are only 45 min from Baltimore Airport. As long a sur family is willing to drive it! Very easy to go from DCA to BWI by metro as well

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Hi Lgg,

Hmmm...Interesting about the BUF and BIFA codes too...Maybe it's also because the Buffalo Airport is an international and domestic airport too?

And yeah it's better to take a direct bus/fight/train/whatever else directly than to take more modes of transportation than required.

Lol..A dogsled and rickshaw..Wonder if one can travel from Toronto to Buffalo that way?...:lol: (imagines travelling like that across Lake Ontario..oh my!)

Oh yeah, I love doing research too. Funny how at one point in my life, I was going to consider a career in that (and actually went to college to study such)..but those plans didn't work out...that's another story...Besides I would rather do research for fun, than to have it as a full-time job....lol....

And yes, like you, I do enjoy researching all this immigration and travel stuff. After all, "the more you know, the more you can 'beat the system'..."

Ant

Ha! Cool -- its' what I thought but an FYI for you, when I was researching, they had the Buffalo airport code as BUF and BIFA or something. That had my confused.

Cool. Thanks so much for you information and feedback. I will take the bus right to the airport -- if I can avoid any other buses/trains/boats/dogsleds/ferries/rickshaws I'd be happy as the more modes of travel in one day, the greater the chance of a mess up!

Thanks again...

LGG

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

@ Krikit...

Am doing the DING right now -- that's great. Southwest really is quite impressive, I must say...

Thanks for the tip, dear...

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

Dogsled and rickshaw made even myself laugh... that's what it feels like though when you take a bus, a metro to the bus and then take the bus to the city and then take another bus to the airport and then when in the airport take the shuttle to the terminal and then... the plan. When i'm in my husband's truck at the end of it all, I just want a hot meal and my bed...

But yeah, the research thing -- I love it. It's why I"M here and not my husband -- I am the researcher and the enacter -- when we travel, I research everything and make the plan and we're good to go. I actually like that. When I was an editor, part of my job was researching -- I loved it. Don't know if I'd want to work in that sort of field but in my own life, I'll research everything and teach myself everything there is to know about what I'm doing or where I'm going.

It's great fun. I am also pretty good at Trivial Pursuit as a result!

:D

Hi Lgg,

Hmmm...Interesting about the BUF and BIFA codes too...Maybe it's also because the Buffalo Airport is an international and domestic airport too?

And yeah it's better to take a direct bus/fight/train/whatever else directly than to take more modes of transportation than required.

Lol..A dogsled and rickshaw..Wonder if one can travel from Toronto to Buffalo that way?...:lol: (imagines travelling like that across Lake Ontario..oh my!)

Oh yeah, I love doing research too. Funny how at one point in my life, I was going to consider a career in that (and actually went to college to study such)..but those plans didn't work out...that's another story...Besides I would rather do research for fun, than to have it as a full-time job....lol....

And yes, I do enjoy researching all this immigration and travel stuff. After all, "the more you know, the more you can 'beat the system'..."

Ant

Thanks again...

LGG

Okay WHEW! I'd thought I'd gone mad again! ;)

I love that everyone is offering me a mode of transport but I'm hoping/trying to be with my family for Christmas day -- otherwise it'll be me and the cat in Toronto!

Thanks Krikit -- you are a sweety.

Ohhhhhhhh. You are totally right! I wonder what I was reading? lol

I'm driving to BUF airport (from Oakville) on the 27th. If you were planning on going then I'd give you a ride. lol

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

@ Krikit...

Am doing the DING right now -- that's great. Southwest really is quite impressive, I must say...

Thanks for the tip, dear...

Their specials change everyday, and sometimes more than once a day. Though they don't advertise as many sales as they used to. That's how I usually plan my trips.... I go by their sale dates. Make sure you open a Southwest account. That's the best way to book with them. If you have already bought a ticket and then a sale comes up, you can go into your prebooked flight and change the ticket so you get the better fare. And then you end up with a credit towards your next flight. They're awesome. Plus they allow you two checked bags at up to 50 lbs each, as well as two carry-ons. And if you like a glass of wine or a beer on your flight, ask for a drink booklet when you check in because you end up with a free drink. They also have curbside check-in, which is awesome when you don't want to struggle with your bags. :luv:

iagree.gif

Timeline

OMG, Southwest may be my new favorite thing ever. Canada would be SO wise to open up an airline like this. people could fly for little money and be treated nicely -- more people would fly and be less crabby when they do -- the world would be a better place.

These tips are great -- I imagine when i'm in the US we can use Southwest to go see my favourite sister in law and her family!

Canada should do something like this. Air Canada is a very expensive joke.

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Hi Lgg,

Yeah...the dogsled and rickshaw made me laugh too (and made my son spill his milk because I was laughing while nursing and typing...).. :rofl:

I know what you mean though, about taking too many modes of transportation. It's exhausting just to travel to get there in itself! Why does it take so long to get from one place to another, one would think....

Glad to hear that you are the researcher of your family too. Lol..I'm the same way too, with my husband (though he seems to find the better deals online than I do). No wonder you love researching, being an editor and all! I'm sure you can find something similar job-wise when you move here to the USA, especially more so that you like doing such.

There is so much to learn out there in the world! So yes, research, research, research! "The early research bird, gets the worm"..lol..

And oh yeah, this "useles information" helps in trivia too! Hmm..maybe you should try out for jeopardy or something like that..lol...

Or maybe we can have some sort of trivia game here on vj...Anyone else interested in that too?

Ant

P.S. Ok, I've got a question for you: What is this "commies 4 christ" thing that I keep on seeing on various vj member's post signatures? Haven't found the answer to that one yet...care to enlighten me?

Dogsled and rickshaw made even myself laugh... that's what it feels like though when you take a bus, a metro to the bus and then take the bus to the city and then take another bus to the airport and then when in the airport take the shuttle to the terminal and then... the plan. When i'm in my husband's truck at the end of it all, I just want a hot meal and my bed...

But yeah, the research thing -- I love it. It's why I"M here and not my husband -- I am the researcher and the enacter -- when we travel, I research everything and make the plan and we're good to go. I actually like that. When I was an editor, part of my job was researching -- I loved it. Don't know if I'd want to work in that sort of field but in my own life, I'll research everything and teach myself everything there is to know about what I'm doing or where I'm going.

It's great fun. I am also pretty good at Trivial Pursuit as a result!

:D

Edited by Ant+D+A

They've partnered with Westjet now. (Southwest) In fact, before they even did that, they totally reminded me of each other because they're always joking on the PA system.

Oh. They have a different seating plan than any other airline. Are you familiar with that at all, or shall I explain?

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.