lgg

how DO people get by doing the A.O.S

228 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I have no idea what leads to people butchering the english language, but I can only guess that people will somehow find a way to blame both the U.S. and parents of the offenders. :lol:

Surely it's the blame of the right-wing rethuglicans or the illegal immigrants.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the political trash talk gibberish means so forgive me if the right-winged rethuglicans are actually left-winged. Either way, they can't fly. :hehe:

iagree.gif

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what leads to people butchering the english language, but I can only guess that people will somehow find a way to blame both the U.S. and parents of the offenders. :lol:

Surely it's the blame of the right-wing rethuglicans or the illegal immigrants.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the political trash talk gibberish means so forgive me if the right-winged rethuglicans are actually left-winged. Either way, they can't fly. :hehe:

:lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Schools aren't as adamant on teaching punctuation and grammar these days. When my mom was a kid, she said punctuation and grammar wasdrilled into students. These days, it's just skimmed and then they're on to other subjects.

Also every single teacher is different. Yea they have to teach a certain curriculum but they all teach a different way.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was a teacher, and all the teachers where I taught were strict when it came to proper usage and sentence structure, especially the older teachers. I have no idea what leads to people butchering the english language, but I can only guess that people will somehow find a way to blame both the U.S. and parents of the offenders. :lol:

I KNEW there would be an opportunity for me in this thread.

I blame both the U.S. and the parents of the offenders (the American parents).

There :)

You forgot your standard blame on HFCS too :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I was a teacher, and all the teachers where I taught were strict when it came to proper usage and sentence structure, especially the older teachers. I have no idea what leads to people butchering the english language, but I can only guess that people will somehow find a way to blame both the U.S. and parents of the offenders. :lol:

Rats.

I blame the U.S. and the American parents and the cheap food additive known as HFCS.

wth! You people are nuts. Everyone knows poor spelling and grammar is the fault of the ghey illegal muslim Messikans. Get with the program :bonk: !!!

I distinctly remember a supply teacher in Grade 6 giving an English lesson. He explained that, according to the rules of grammar, a comma was supposed to come before an "and" in the following type of sentence:

"The recipe called for fruit, nuts, and cinnamon."

And then he rubbed it out on the blackboard and said "But that doesn't make any sense to me so I don't see the need for using it."

:lol:

I have no idea why these kinds of memories remain in my head.

iagree.gif

Not to sound really mean, but I've seen a lot in this thread about how it sucks to do the marry-and-AOS route because you end up sitting on your ####### for months on end, not able to do anything or go anywhere. I haven't seen anyone mention yet that the people coming over on a K visa also have to go through this. They still have to file AOS and go through that.

I came over on a K visa and after 4 months here, I'm still not able to work or travel. I had to miss my grandfather's funeral, my nephew's birth, my graduation, my best friend's leaving party. We've also struggled financially and I'm not able to pull in extra money. And I kinda feel like a loser that just sits at home every day. Yes, I chose to come to the US knowing some of those things were coming up... but it's not like it's easier because I went through another process beforehand. I would've been in the same position had I come through a K visa or just filed AOS.

Also, I personally found the AOS filing a hell of a lot easier than the K filing. The AOS is running around for a while, informing people of what you needed, and then tackling the paperwork. The K process was an absolute terror. Not only do you have to file more initially (with proof of having met and such) but you also go months without hearing anything and when you finally do, you get the privilege of running around for more documents, and waiting some more. It was like 2 processes. Not to mention the fact that it costs an arm and a leg (what with the medical, criminal check, travel). And you're apart for that process too, which hurts.

I'm not at ALL saying that marrying and filing AOS is the "easy" route. God it's not easy. And I'm not saying that the AOS route is illegal, because it's not. I genuinely feel that it's possible for people to decide on a whim that they want to get married and stay. Hell, I almost did that myself a few times but had my degree to finish. But I disagree with the notion I've seen a few times here that the AOS route is harder, too.

Timeline

I think it's the mixture of people and language. The language is changing so quickly.

They teach ebonics in Universities.

We're now using internet speak "IRL"

Even I have been guilty of getting up in the middle of a dinner and saying: "BRB"

lolz.

Not to sound really mean, but I've seen a lot in this thread about how it sucks to do the marry-and-AOS route because you end up sitting on your ####### for months on end, not able to do anything or go anywhere. I haven't seen anyone mention yet that the people coming over on a K visa also have to go through this. They still have to file AOS and go through that.

I came over on a K visa and after 4 months here, I'm still not able to work or travel. I had to miss my grandfather's funeral, my nephew's birth, my graduation, my best friend's leaving party. We've also struggled financially and I'm not able to pull in extra money. And I kinda feel like a loser that just sits at home every day. Yes, I chose to come to the US knowing some of those things were coming up... but it's not like it's easier because I went through another process beforehand. I would've been in the same position had I come through a K visa or just filed AOS.

Also, I personally found the AOS filing a hell of a lot easier than the K filing. The AOS is running around for a while, informing people of what you needed, and then tackling the paperwork. The K process was an absolute terror. Not only do you have to file more initially (with proof of having met and such) but you also go months without hearing anything and when you finally do, you get the privilege of running around for more documents, and waiting some more. It was like 2 processes. Not to mention the fact that it costs an arm and a leg (what with the medical, criminal check, travel). And you're apart for that process too, which hurts.

I'm not at ALL saying that marrying and filing AOS is the "easy" route. God it's not easy. And I'm not saying that the AOS route is illegal, because it's not. I genuinely feel that it's possible for people to decide on a whim that they want to get married and stay. Hell, I almost did that myself a few times but had my degree to finish. But I disagree with the notion I've seen a few times here that the AOS route is harder, too.

BACK TO THE TOPIC PLZ.

Oh wait that WAS the topic!

Well thank you for getting us back on topic! :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I think it's the mixture of people and language. The language is changing so quickly.

Even I have been guilty of getting up in the middle of a dinner and saying: "BRB"

lolz.

LoL, my worst was once, I was out drinking with a friend and I don't recall the circumstances, but I do distinctly saying "Dude, double you teee efff?"

Timeline

lolz.

LoL, my worst was once, I was out drinking with a friend and I don't recall the circumstances, but I do distinctly saying "Dude, double you teee efff?"

Yea I do that too. :lol:

My husband has a friend who loves to talk like a lolcat every now and then. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

lolz.

Ditto. ####### OMG LMAO!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.