HaydenM

Getting married and wanting to stay after entering on VWP

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Many thanks for the info - your postings have been really helpful.

JubJub, what you are saying seems to make sense to me. I'm not too worried about being denied AOS (although I know of course there's always a chance) - It's just good to know how it all works.

One more question... I can't find anything in these forms or guides about having to obtain police checks - am I just being blind or is this not required when filing for AOS and the I-130?

Cheers!

HaydenM

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline
Something else for you to consider looking into is filing the paperwork in New Zealand. Check out the DCF forum for more information and to see if it's a possible option for you. Not only is it a "safer" method, but the non-USC can work as soon as they arrive, and there's no need to go through the AOS process.

Good luck!

Christina

:star:

I am just wondering if a non-USC person does get married to a USC whilst under the VWP in America, at what stage are they able to seek work in the US? Should the non-USC plan to not have an income for a matter of months or can they start working after marrying and filing the appropriate forms?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

the non-USC cannot work until they get the EAD (I-765) approved and in hand. The non-USC would also have to get a Social Security Card. You file the I-765 along with the I-485...it is free of charge if you file them concurrently.

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-10-28

RFE Reply(s) :2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays :P)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28 (Vancouver)

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry :2008-02-20

Marriage :2008-02-26

Wedding Ceremony: 2008-05-03

Adjustment of Status 4105.gif

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2008-03-09

NOA: 2008-03-15

RFE(s) : 2008-03-29

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Touched: 04/01 - 04/02 - 04/16 - 04/17 - 04/18 - 04/21 - 05/06 - 05/07 - 05/08

Transferred to CSC: 2008-04-30

APPROVED!! : 2008-06-18

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method :Mail

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Approved: 2008-05-12

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Approved: 2008-05-12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i'm just curious, I thought for certain that you couldn't change your immigration status at all on VWP. obviously I was wrong. but i'm wondering, if marrying and staying on this VWP is allowed, why would you bother with K-1? I did the year long process of K-1 and have just recently entered the U.S.

but i've entered 7 times before on VWP and had the heart ache of leaving, if I thought i could just get married and stay one time i would of done it.

so what are the benefits of doing the K-1? as a k-1 holder it's still risky for me cause i can be denied AOS to can't i?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
i'm just curious, I thought for certain that you couldn't change your immigration status at all on VWP. obviously I was wrong. but i'm wondering, if marrying and staying on this VWP is allowed, why would you bother with K-1? I did the year long process of K-1 and have just recently entered the U.S.

but i've entered 7 times before on VWP and had the heart ache of leaving, if I thought i could just get married and stay one time i would of done it.

so what are the benefits of doing the K-1? as a k-1 holder it's still risky for me cause i can be denied AOS to can't i?

This is a very old thread. The key issue is the OP decided to marry after already being in the US for six months on the VWP. The key issue is when the decision to marry occured in relation to the most recent US entry. It should have been easy for them to convince and adjudicator that after six months together, they decided to marry and for him to stick around.

For somebody who has visited multiple times while carrying on a relationship, it would be pretty difficult to convince an adjudicator that the decision to marry occured after entry. Not impossible but far less probable.

The advantage of the K1 visa is that it is the only appropriate and legal path for the circumstances it was designed for.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
the non-USC cannot work until they get the EAD (I-765) approved and in hand. The non-USC would also have to get a Social Security Card. You file the I-765 along with the I-485...it is free of charge if you file them concurrently.

Thank you for this information. Can u tell me what forms are required to be submitted by a non-USC in America on a VWP after being married to a USC in America - is it just the I-765 and I-485? And can u give an estimate on how long the EAD (I-765) would take to be approved and in hand? Thank You.

Edited by osp

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Can u tell me what forms are required to be submitted by a non-USC in America on a VWP after being married to a USC in America - is it just the I-765 and I-485? And can u give an estimate on how long the EAD (I-765) would take to be approved and in hand? Thank You.

Forms to be submitted by the US citizen

I-130

G-325A

I-864

By the non US citizen spouse

G-325A

I-485

I-765 (optional)

I-131 (optional)

This link has all ther required info.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

I THINK that after the AOS/I-765 is received, the BCIS is required to issue the I-765 within 90 days.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.