sus

Yardies a home and a farrin (Part 20)

5,642 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just to chime in on the little bit I read, I grew-up with my aunt an uncle and they could not read, I read every single mail, that came into the house for them starting at 6, they couldn't help me with my homework so they sent me to private lesson. They had a store and that how they thought me to read calling the letters out on the coconut oil bottle, etc. The school I went to wasn't the best but if the teacher saw you were interested then they took more interest in you.

~9/8/08 - I-129F sent VSC

~9/17/08 - NOA1 received[/color]

~9/22/08 - I29F approved

~9/26/08 - NOA 2 received

~10-01-08 - NVC processed petition

~10-03-08 - Packet 3 mailed

~10-15-08 - Packet 3 dropped off at embassy

~11-21-08 - Interview!

~11-21-2008- VISA APPROVED!!!

~12-9-08 - arrived-POE JFK

married on ~2-27-09-

===========================================

AOS

~3-13-09 Mailed AOS

~3-16-09 AOS received

~3-23-09 NOA1 received

~4-21-09 Biometrics appt

~3-31-09 Biometics Done!

~5/1/09 AP Received

~4/27/09 EAD order for production

~7/24/09 =AOS interview

~7/24/09 = GC approved pending completed vaccination record.

~8/27/09 = provided an updated vaccination record (hubby had to get another shot)

~9/08/09 = GC in Hand (360 days from filing k1)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
I had to break it down for Ray last week. He doesn't understand who people in Jamaica drop out of high school and still can't read and americans drop out of high school and can read and spell just about every word.

because they had the foundation set in place when they're young...you can't forget the basics...my son is 6 and I watch him read just by breaking down the words and the sound of it...just amazing to watch my baby read

yesterday I was talking to Sunny and my son was like look mommy I can write in "cursin" I'm like what...I can write in "cursin" mommy...I said no baby boy it's cursive...but in jamaica we call it JOINUP

Not to be funny Tre, just curious, do Jamaican's write in "joinup" because every document my fiance signed was printed and I was really confused...

Most do, but we had to learn to write in joinup so did my parents when they went to school from an early age.

the only thing that Ray joins up is the o and the e in his last name. Everything else was in print.

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: Timeline
I had to break it down for Ray last week. He doesn't understand who people in Jamaica drop out of high school and still can't read and americans drop out of high school and can read and spell just about every word.

because they had the foundation set in place when they're young...you can't forget the basics...my son is 6 and I watch him read just by breaking down the words and the sound of it...just amazing to watch my baby read

yesterday I was talking to Sunny and my son was like look mommy I can write in "cursin" I'm like what...I can write in "cursin" mommy...I said no baby boy it's cursive...but in jamaica we call it JOINUP

Not to be funny Tre, just curious, do Jamaican's write in "joinup" because every document my fiance signed was printed and I was really confused...

Most do, but we had to learn to write in joinup so did my parents when they went to school from an early age.

the only thing that Ray joins up is the o and the e in his last name. Everything else was in print.

I guess it's different for everyone. My husband write in both, but I prefer print cause it look like one madman a write when it's in joinup

Welcome back Portland...we have to link latah

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I’m a stickler for school work too. My kids are not allowed to play their X-box DS or be on the computer unless its school work related during the week. I just think if they know they can play those games they’ll pay less attention to their homework. This year I allowed my 13 year old son to play his game during the week. I’m waiting for the first report period. If his grades have even slightly dropped I’m going back to my old rules. I didn’t want to allow him this new luxury but people were telling me I need to ease up some and let him make responsible choices. I hope for his sake they are right.

Yall better than me, I never took anything away, I would just rip it up and make them start from scratch, they HATED me for that lol.. I didn't care though. If they put as much thought in their school work as they did everything else they'd be fine lol

On another note, I had to sit down and have a heart to heart with my 14 year old daughter. I get progress reports emailed to me and my daughter and I talk ALL the time about everything. She can be a bit of a "teacher's pet" and guide to the "stars" (the other students,lol) helping them with emotional problems and things of that nature. What I noticed is when she doesn't like a particular teacher, she does poorly in their class. I pointed this out to her and she said to me, "I get it now, I guess I need to seperate my feelings for my teachers and concentrate on my work" I said "Ding, ding, ding, ding, diiiiiiiiiiing" :rofl:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We booked our room in ATL so let me know if you are coming down.

I'll be down definitely! I will need to get out from under my overprotective brother's thumb and have some fun. Gotta work a day with Jawi but I will let you gals know.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Congrats, Hay!!

Hi JQ!

This is the type of day I am having with my computer - can I go home?

funny-pictures-cat-waits-for-program-to-load.jpg

haha that image made laugh

hi yardies

I864 delivered November 2nd.....nvc logged it on November 5th

DS230 delivered November 6th.....nvc logged it on November 12th

Welcome to US Letter May 19th

Card production ordered May 25th

739444001253587733-final.gif

upherebl.gif

Timeline
Thank You island..i was thinking about that..and thats probally whats gonna end up happening..i'm ot too sure ..but i rather be in the situation that having not been approved !!

Exactly! I'm sure everything will work out fine, just have him keep working on getting the medical. Even if he can sneak through and the embassy issues the visa without the results, you still need it at the AOS stage.

Timeline
Hey everybody..

just wan fi chime in on the school.. i agree w/ the post that it is the parents responsibility..

both Rogers's sons are A students..shoot, his 6 yr old knows how to spell competent.. LOL but i believe no matter where they went to school this would be the case..for some kids (like me lol) learning does come easier and they have natural desire to do well in school and do their h/w (THANK GOD, cuz i am not used to having to stay on kids about doing their work :whistle: )

BUT

my nephews right here in USA, who are smart kids, are having a TIME.. their mom NEVER helped them or even made sure they did their h/w cuz she didnt' really have to, now that they are getting older 2nd and 3rd grade, they like to play instead of do h/w and they are not FULLY understanding the more advanced concepts (multiplication w/ 2 digits, synonyms and homonyms) and they are FAILING some classes, so now they are w/ my mother to try and get them in gear, but she's not much better :blush: .. hollers and screams at them bout their h/w BUT never SITS down w/ them to help.. after work she is too tired and frustrated to go over this stuff, half of which she don't half know anyway

i have been trying to go over and help out..

so i think you can have a "good school" in that they teach on advanced level, have small class size, low teacher-student ratio, high overal test scores etc, BUT if that 1 or 20 children out of the bunch is having a hard time grasping and is not practicing those concepts at home and NOBODY taking on the hardship and responsibility to ENSURE they get it, then what???

dills, hugs to likkle man and i hope his health and education gets better..

I can also add from a "soon to be" teacher's point of view, it's the technique in which we teach it and its the ability to be able to make a "connection" with our students. The whole school issue should be a partnership for parents, teachers and students to reach a common goal. When one part of the link fails, everyone fails. This is why its important for teachers to teach in a way that children age appropriate, can grasp concepts. Another good concept is letting the brighter children show the not so bright children how to grasp concepts. Children are more receptive when they hear it from other children.

Timeline
We booked our room in ATL so let me know if you are coming down.

I'll be down definitely! I will need to get out from under my overprotective brother's thumb and have some fun. Gotta work a day with Jawi but I will let you gals know.

I'm ready to go now.... lol

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ok i was gonna respond to the discussion about learning but cho mi cyaan badda yah

latah yardies

I864 delivered November 2nd.....nvc logged it on November 5th

DS230 delivered November 6th.....nvc logged it on November 12th

Welcome to US Letter May 19th

Card production ordered May 25th

739444001253587733-final.gif

upherebl.gif

Timeline
When I came to the US I was 2 grades ahead of children in my age group, but they refused to place me in the 5th or 6th grade because I was young and new to the country so I had to sit there and learn thing I'd already knew. My first test in the US was to fill out the map of the US and list the capitals...it was so damn easy...and I was only 8 years old. So, I ended up disliking the school system here. Worse of all my brother and I had to take ESOL! :angry: -- we had a heavy british/jamaican accent and the teachers claimed they couldn't understand us... :angry:

Most Americans can't do that Lawny....

Filed: Timeline
When I came to the US I was 2 grades ahead of children in my age group, but they refused to place me in the 5th or 6th grade because I was young and new to the country so I had to sit there and learn thing I'd already knew. My first test in the US was to fill out the map of the US and list the capitals...it was so damn easy...and I was only 8 years old. So, I ended up disliking the school system here. Worse of all my brother and I had to take ESOL! :angry: -- we had a heavy british/jamaican accent and the teachers claimed they couldn't understand us... :angry:

Most Americans can't do that Lawny....

yes TL; and I realized that and I got 100% I just kissteet

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Yay, HayMsMorgan!! :thumbs:

Morning, everyone!

What are the weekend plans? Anyone got a costume?

Nat I dont really have any plans....they are having something at church for the children and Ill go but just relaxin this weekend....how about u?

That's what we used to go to when I was young. It was great. Each child brought a bag of candy & they mixed it all together while we played tons of games. Then you got a bag of mixed candy when you left. I have no plans. PlayDate is having a costume party around the corner from me. I'll see if Steven wants to go; we have no costumes. Plus, that is the first day of our pre-marital counseling.

Dillon, that's sad. I really hope & pray they can repair his hearing.

Umm what were we supposed to say? :unsure: May I ask who the heck showed JQ how to use smiley's?? U have created a monster....

:yes::lol:

question (not directed at dillon)....where are the good schools in jamaica? everyone on this board who has commented about a stepchilds progress has stated that they are academically behind...what is the reason for this?

I think it varies by situation, but I know of some kids that couldn't go to school everyday because either they were taking care of their other younger brothers & sisters while the parents worked or their parents couldn't afford to send them every day (or both). Or the children might be suffering so much at home (from lack of food n things) that when they go to school, their mind is more on how hungry they are than the lessons.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.