Peachey

Halloween!

119 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also wanted to mention that nowhere in this thread were Mexicans referred to as filthy, except in your PS at the bottom of your post, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to throw that in there except for extra provocation.

Rhiann, its very interesting especially as there are so many paths. Its why I'm doing the dumb feast on Samhain (Halloween) instead of dressing up and going out, though last year we also had a costume party the night after. Last year I went as a Renaissance princess, have to alter that costume for next year...thinking of doing a long green crushed velvet overlay that has the corset tie in the front..should be pretty!

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am a "witch" as in I am pagan, so the people with green skin and warts does bother me sometimes too because its mocking my religion, but that said its also a holiday where people dress up in many different things to have fun. Its like me yelling at people who dress up for Oktoberfest in Leiderhosen...Germans don't wear that, but I also don't care enough to try to call people out in a thread where they are just having fun. I doubt anyone is ever going to stop dressing up as a witch, or as a mariachi band, or as a sumo wrestler, a geisha, a ninja or any other of the many many costumes that could potentially be labeled as racist. She appologized in advance because shes not intending it to be racist, not because she is intending but doing it anyway. She also NOWHERE in that post said she thought this is the way mexicans dress. Why you are arguing it with adults? Because its silly to get so worked up over one day when people wear a bunch of stupid awesome costumes that pretty much anyone could take as offensive, when all they are ment for is having a bit of fun.

Oh and I do know the difference between witches and mexicans, just so you know. Im just saying theres a lot of people who get stereotyped on Halloween that you wouldn't think of, but thats no reason to jump on people in a thread, just ignore it next time if you can't deal with it.

i am dealing with it and letting you know it's not alright. end of. nothing more to say. i've said my piece. i come from a family who were very involved in the chicano civil rights movement and i was told to stand up for my people because most of the time no one else will. and they were right.

i do my best to not step on anyone's toes on halloween. i can come up with creative ideas to do this. it's not difficult.

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Is the Zorro costume racist then as espoused by you?

zorro is a hero figure. he defends people who cannot defend themselves. i fail to see how this is a negative stereotype or a stereotype at all of a spaniard.

and i would say i'm particularly sensitive to this subject. i am mexican-american and cajita indian.

my fiancee is haitian-canadian, walpole indian and scottish.

we would never think to dress up as another culture. especially in a disparaging way.

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Timeline

I'm Ojibway and every halloween tons of people dress up like indians and I really don't care.

And calling yourself a "filthy mexican" is really unnecessary, you're the one contributing to stereotypes of your own race... oh but that's okay right? No, it's not.

Put the race card down.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

So, Halloween's on a Saturday this year AND the day before the clocks go back.

What a deadly combo for getting trick or treaters :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
So, Halloween's on a Saturday this year AND the day before the clocks go back.

What a deadly combo for getting trick or treaters :lol:

I hide from them :lol: on our street the little ones start waaaay too early (I don't remember my parents ever taking us out before dinner time) Last year they started at like 4:30, I had just gotten home! Like..give me a break! Then from like 6:30 on it was all people my age, go buy your own damn candy or goto a party. Pft.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

When I was a kid, we started at around 6:00. I find nowadays there isn't as many trick or treaters though, it's weird. Last year my son only got a quarter of his pillow case full.... yes we bring out a pillow case... we dream big. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

We weren't allowed to leave the house till 6pm.

This one person on our street would give out full sized chocolate bars to the first 10 people there and they wouldn't open the door till 6pm. Haha.

And I used to get like 4 pillow cases of candy!

Now I have to buy my own :(

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
When I was a kid, we started at around 6:00. I find nowadays there isn't as many trick or treaters though, it's weird. Last year my son only got a quarter of his pillow case full.... yes we bring out a pillow case... we dream big. :lol:

We use to too! We did large spans of blocks though...but yeah we didnt start till like 6, and once I hit like 15 I stopped trick or treating and started going to halloween parties at the school or my friends. To have college kids come knocking at my door, I don't think so.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol:

I used to use a pillow case too. I would have to go home and drop off my goodies a couple times a night. Mainy because of the people who would hand out cans of pop. I loved it, but it made the pillow case so heavy!

I totally didn't realize clocks go back on that Sunday. Should be fun!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
This is potentially racist, so I apologize in advance... LOL

But 2 friends and I are all dressing up as Mexicans and are going to be Three Amigos... hahaha We picked up sombreros last night, and some poncho making material, and mustaches, and I have some maracas, and we'll drink only mexican related drinks all night... hahha I'm really excited actually. I think it's going to be hilarious. I'm also going to try to get some other accessories to go with... I have a list... LOL

Think this, without the guns.. lol My friend wants to get cap guns, but I think that's a STUPID f'ing idea, especially since we're going to a bar.. and yet, they say we can't have a pinata... okaaaaay.... not sure I follow the logic (I understand pinatas can be dangerous with drunk people... lol but I was just going to have it with a hole precut and pour candy out of it or something. lol)

MEXICAN-SERAPE-COSTUME-17679350.jpg

Just make sure that you don't get picked up by ICE. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
This is potentially racist, so I apologize in advance... LOL

But 2 friends and I are all dressing up as Mexicans and are going to be Three Amigos... hahaha We picked up sombreros last night, and some poncho making material, and mustaches, and I have some maracas, and we'll drink only mexican related drinks all night... hahha I'm really excited actually. I think it's going to be hilarious. I'm also going to try to get some other accessories to go with... I have a list... LOL

Think this, without the guns.. lol My friend wants to get cap guns, but I think that's a STUPID f'ing idea, especially since we're going to a bar.. and yet, they say we can't have a pinata... okaaaaay.... not sure I follow the logic (I understand pinatas can be dangerous with drunk people... lol but I was just going to have it with a hole precut and pour candy out of it or something. lol)

MEXICAN-SERAPE-COSTUME-17679350.jpg

yes. this is racist. and kind of stupid especially since the three amigos themselves were 3 white guys in mariachi outfits.

ps: us filthy mexicans don't dress like this at all. get into the 21st century. pretty bad.

Me thinks you need to lighten up a bit about halloween costumes which are just ment for fun. Not all french maids wear super short skirts, not all witches are green with pointy noises and warts, its just a costume for some fun, and I think its kind of cute that they are going out all dressed up like that. My friends and I did something similar once going as the 3 mousekatiers (I know i spelt that wrong) Had little capes, swords from the dollar store and mickey mouse ears on!

no i don't think i do need to lighten up. if i went out in blackface or gave myself yellow skin with squinty eyes- people would be outraged. or i HOPE people would be outraged. racist constructs have no place in this society now. let me give you a tip- if you apologize in advance that something might be racist, while laughing at the notion (as if it could never be construed as insulting)- you're ACKNOWLEDGING something is insulting and is wrong. if you doubt me, why don't we move this thread to the mexican regional discussion forum and see how they react.

i know this won't stop anyone from reconsidering their costume, but it should.

and if you can't tell the difference between witches and mousekateers and AN ETHNIC GROUP then some of the people on this thread are more clueless than i originally thought. halloween is no excuse to bring out racial stereotypes. why am i having to explain this to adult people? jesus christ...

Thou shalt not take the name of thy Lord in vain... :innocent:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.