Peachey

Halloween!

119 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Spoom and I went to a Canadian halloween party last year as John McCain and Sarah Palin - we won scariest costume :lol: Don't know what I'll be this year yet, though.

While I'll miss his friends' halloween party this year, I'll be passing out candy during our local trick-or-treat (I run the local youth center). We open our building to families who want to take a break, use the bathroom, or warm up. The kids can get a snack, color, play air hockey, foosball, pool, etc. It's good publicity for us, and helpful to the parents. The older kids (middle and high school) are having a halloween party with a costume contest and a few games, a DJ, pizza, etc. the day before halloween. Have I mentioned I have the best job ever? :)

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
We don't dress up, and I can't remember going to a Halloween party since I was a teenager! We do get a pumpkin and hand out treats though.

My son, when he was about 4, wanted to be a pirate for Halloween. I was working, and my ex was getting the kids ready to head out after giving them an early supper. He decided to do the face painting for my son before I got home, and made an eye patch, and mustache on my son. Of course he coloured in the eye patch all black etc. however used permanent marker. :lol: He looked like he was punched in the face for about a week. Very hard to get off skin!

Poor boy! :lol:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Doubt either of us will dress up but our munchkin is definitely planning on a costume...not sure what she wants to be yet. We'll take her downtown Clarkesville (small town, looks like something from a Norman Rockwell painting) and all the merchants come outside and pass out treats to the kiddos as they walk along the sidewalk. She scored big time with the candy (mmmm!) and there were a few coupons for discounts at restaurants and such. Our neighbourhood is boring... no one does anything for Hallowe'en. The local colleges decorate their dorm halls for the kids to come trick-or-treating too so there's plenty of safe places to go. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I told my wife that if we're invited to a Halloween party, she should dress up as the stereotypical American and I could be the stereotypical Canadian.

And what exactly would those costumes entail? You'd have to totally post a pic if you guys did that

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
This is potentially racist, so I apologize in advance... LOL

But 2 friends and I are all dressing up as Mexicans and are going to be Three Amigos... hahaha We picked up sombreros last night, and some poncho making material, and mustaches, and I have some maracas, and we'll drink only mexican related drinks all night... hahha I'm really excited actually. I think it's going to be hilarious. I'm also going to try to get some other accessories to go with... I have a list... LOL

Think this, without the guns.. lol My friend wants to get cap guns, but I think that's a STUPID f'ing idea, especially since we're going to a bar.. and yet, they say we can't have a pinata... okaaaaay.... not sure I follow the logic (I understand pinatas can be dangerous with drunk people... lol but I was just going to have it with a hole precut and pour candy out of it or something. lol)

MEXICAN-SERAPE-COSTUME-17679350.jpg

yes. this is racist. and kind of stupid especially since the three amigos themselves were 3 white guys in mariachi outfits.

ps: us filthy mexicans don't dress like this at all. get into the 21st century. pretty bad.

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Timeline

But 2 friends and I are all dressing up as Mexicans and are going to be Three Amigos... hahaha We picked up sombreros last night, and some poncho making material, and mustaches, and I have some maracas, and we'll drink only mexican related drinks all night... hahha I'm really excited actually. I think it's going to be hilarious. I'm also going to try to get some other accessories to go with... I have a list... LOL

Think this, without the guns.. lol My friend wants to get cap guns, but I think that's a STUPID f'ing idea, especially since we're going to a bar.. and yet, they say we can't have a pinata... okaaaaay.... not sure I follow the logic (I understand pinatas can be dangerous with drunk people... lol but I was just going to have it with a hole precut and pour candy out of it or something. lol)

yes. this is racist. and kind of stupid especially since the three amigos themselves were 3 white guys in mariachi outfits.

ps: us filthy mexicans don't dress like this at all. get into the 21st century. pretty bad.

Me thinks you need to lighten up a bit about halloween costumes which are just ment for fun. Not all french maids wear super short skirts, not all witches are green with pointy noises and warts, its just a costume for some fun, and I think its kind of cute that they are going out all dressed up like that. My friends and I did something similar once going as the 3 mousekatiers (I know i spelt that wrong) Had little capes, swords from the dollar store and mickey mouse ears on!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

no idea what we are going to do for Halloween.. this is the first Halloween in a few years where the hubby doesn't have to work...

I probably won't dress up though :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Me thinks you need to lighten up a bit about halloween costumes which are just ment for fun. Not all french maids wear super short skirts, not all witches are green with pointy noises and warts, its just a costume for some fun, and I think its kind of cute that they are going out all dressed up like that. My friends and I did something similar once going as the 3 mousekatiers (I know i spelt that wrong) Had little capes, swords from the dollar store and mickey mouse ears on!

no i don't think i do need to lighten up. if i went out in blackface or gave myself yellow skin with squinty eyes- people would be outraged. or i HOPE people would be outraged. racist constructs have no place in this society now. let me give you a tip- if you apologize in advance that something might be racist, while laughing at the notion (as if it could never be construed as insulting)- you're ACKNOWLEDGING something is insulting and is wrong. if you doubt me, why don't we move this thread to the mexican regional discussion forum and see how they react.

i know this won't stop anyone from reconsidering their costume, but it should.

and if you can't tell the difference between witches and mousekateers and AN ETHNIC GROUP then some of the people on this thread are more clueless than i originally thought. halloween is no excuse to bring out racial stereotypes. why am i having to explain this to adult people? jesus christ...

AOS

05.25.10 - NoA

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.09.10 - EAD received!

02.01.11 - touched

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Timeline

I am a "witch" as in I am pagan, so the people with green skin and warts does bother me sometimes too because its mocking my religion, but that said its also a holiday where people dress up in many different things to have fun. Its like me yelling at people who dress up for Oktoberfest in Leiderhosen...Germans don't wear that, but I also don't care enough to try to call people out in a thread where they are just having fun. I doubt anyone is ever going to stop dressing up as a witch, or as a mariachi band, or as a sumo wrestler, a geisha, a ninja or any other of the many many costumes that could potentially be labeled as racist. She appologized in advance because shes not intending it to be racist, not because she is intending but doing it anyway. She also NOWHERE in that post said she thought this is the way mexicans dress. Why you are arguing it with adults? Because its silly to get so worked up over one day when people wear a bunch of stupid awesome costumes that pretty much anyone could take as offensive, when all they are ment for is having a bit of fun.

Oh and I do know the difference between witches and mexicans, just so you know. Im just saying theres a lot of people who get stereotyped on Halloween that you wouldn't think of, but thats no reason to jump on people in a thread, just ignore it next time if you can't deal with it.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
my hubby is Mexican.. I doubt he would be offended by someone dressing up as a Mexican...

I'm Cree, and I don't get offended when people dress up like Indians. I guess your husband and I are just not adults. :lol:

Maybe I can have this explained to me. My best friend dressed up as a Ukrainian Dancer one year. She's half Ukrainian and half Polish. Does that mean her Polish side was engaging in racist stereotypical behavior against her Ukrainian half? Cause she needs therapy if that's the case.

Timeline
my hubby is Mexican.. I doubt he would be offended by someone dressing up as a Mexican...

ask him how he feels about it and then get back to me.

how is this any less insulting than blackface. its STEROTYPE. ITS NOT OKAY.

you have endless possibilities on halloween. why would someone intentionally pick something that would hurt someone's feelings and be racially inflammatory?

of all the costumes in the world, you pick that one? you pick another ethnic group to make fun of? think about that.

the poster already said they thought it might be racist. recognizing that does not make it right. apologizing in advance does not make it right when you know what you're doing.

stop being to ###### naive to the feelings of others and just avoid it altogether. it's never alright.

AOS

05.25.10 - NoA

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.09.10 - EAD received!

02.01.11 - touched

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

I personally don't think the Mexican costume is racist.

But I also don't get offended very easily.

It takes alot of anything to offend me.

I guess it's how people see things.

And Danu, I have a friend who's Pagan. It's interesting, the stuff she tells me about relating to it.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.