Peace be still

What's the process to register your marriage.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was married abroad, but I would like to know what is the process to register my marriage here in the States?

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

There is no need to report your marriage to the US Embassy in your country.

The legal marriage in your country is also legal in the US.

All you need to do is get an original marriage certificate from the authority in your country, translate it in English (no need for professional translation), and have the translated one notarized at the embassy. I am not sure about Morocco, but it cost $30 for notarization.

The set of the original one and notarized translated copy serves as your official marriage certificate in the US.

I used my notarized copy to prove marriage in the US for SSN, bank account, etc.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Timeline

I had to register marriage in Morocco at the county court house before i could get my SS #. SS wouldnt take it until i made a trip down town, registered, came back and nothing more was said

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline
I had to register marriage in Morocco at the county court house before i could get my SS #. SS wouldnt take it until i made a trip down town, registered, came back and nothing more was said

Did they give you another marriage certificate? My marriage contract from Morocco is so long, and it tells too much of information that I don't feel is anybodies business. I want a marriage license here in the States that just say that we were married on the date were in Morocco.

Timeline

no, I have the Moroccan form, the translation (what i sumbitted) and they just attached a very simple form on the front that says do not remove stateing more or less it is a registed file now with a registar number and a court clerk signature

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline
no, I have the Moroccan form, the translation (what i sumbitted) and they just attached a very simple form on the front that says do not remove stateing more or less it is a registed file now with a registar number and a court clerk signature

Thanks for the information.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I can tell you I know a large number of folks who married abroad, including my own wife, who now have Social Security Cards, but never did anything to "register" their marriage with any City, County, State or Federal Government agency in the USA. Married is married.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I can tell you I know a large number of folks who married abroad, including my own wife, who now have Social Security Cards, but never did anything to "register" their marriage with any City, County, State or Federal Government agency in the USA. Married is married.

:thumbs:

I never registered anything here. As a matter of fact my wife's SS card showed up 2 weeks after she got here without us having to file any paperwork in the US.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
I was married abroad, but I would like to know what is the process to register my marriage here in the States?

Have it translated and notarized and bring it to the local city hall, there they will give you more instructions :thumbs:

this is what hubby did few months ago and has been told by them, just I didn't let him give them the original as we needed it for the visa process. but i know it has to be an original one. good luck :thumbs:

bulgaria_mwp.gifusa_mwp.gif

CSC USCIS ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-02-19 : I-130 package sent_________________2009-02-20 : I-130 Received in Chicago, IL

2009-02-27 : NOA1 Approved____________________2009-05-04 : NOA2 Approved

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-05-11 : NVC case # assigned

2009-05-19 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated__________2009-05-20 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2009-05-26 : Sent In Completed I-864

2009-06-04 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC____2009-06-04 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2009-06-08 : DS-230 mailed to NVC

2009-07-10 : Case complete - in 141 days

2009-07-21 : Interview expedite request e-mailed to NVC

2009-07-27 : NVC replied NO to expedite request

2009-07-29 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for Sept.15th

2009-08-07 : Case left NVC

2009-08-10 : DHL shipped file

2009-08-12 : Case received in USEM, Sofia

2009-08-24 : Medical scheduled

2009-08-25 : Interview re-scheduled

2009-08-28 : Visa in hand

2009-09-01 : US entry - Boston, MA

2009-09-15 : Welcome letter sent (21st Sept received)

2009-09-30 : GC production ordered

2009-10-08 : GC received

2010-02-01 : little D was born :)

VSC ~ROC~ Journey

2011-06-03 : mailed ROC package

2011-06-06: ROC NOA1

2011-07-08: Biometrics appointment

2012-02-25: GC Approval

2012-03-....: PGC received

Timeline

Have it translated and notarized and bring it to the local city hall, there they will give you more instructions :thumbs:

this is what hubby did few months ago and has been told by them, just I didn't let him give them the original as we needed it for the visa process. but i know it has to be an original one. good luck :thumbs:

What was accomplished by taking your foreign marriage certificate to a city hall in the USA?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Your marriage contract is recongnized by the US. If you dont want all the "details" included for all to see then get a marriage cert or a short form of your contract in the country it was obtained in.

Since your location is "no one's business" I cant google that for you. you can try your states website and contact the county clerk/city hall or whatever and ask... but why not just get the contract in short form?

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
Your marriage contract is recongnized by the US. If you dont want all the "details" included for all to see then get a marriage cert or a short form of your contract in the country it was obtained in.

Since your location is "no one's business" I cant google that for you. you can try your states website and contact the county clerk/city hall or whatever and ask... but why not just get the contract in short form?

We had our marriage authenticated through the embassy abroad. You have to use one of their approved translators (which is usually more expensive) if it is not in English and it requires to be stamped by several agencies (I would guess dependent on the country you are in). The embassy can give you a list of what you need to do to accomplish this. After the marriage certificate is authenticated by the US embassy it is accepted here for virtually any legal document. Maybe this isnt necessary, but it is what we did. My husband also added me to his family registry in his country.

Izzat and Eliza

Timeline

We had our marriage authenticated through the embassy abroad. You have to use one of their approved translators (which is usually more expensive) if it is not in English and it requires to be stamped by several agencies (I would guess dependent on the country you are in). The embassy can give you a list of what you need to do to accomplish this. After the marriage certificate is authenticated by the US embassy it is accepted here for virtually any legal document. Maybe this isnt necessary, but it is what we did. My husband also added me to his family registry in his country.

Translating a marriage certificate IS necessary but that has nothing to do with authenticating or registering a marriage in the USA after arrival. Authenticating a document is not authenticating a "marriage".

What is it about "married is married" that is so difficult to understand. Marriage in the USA is a State controlled function but when you move to another State, you don't need to register your marriage in the new state. The same is true with foreign marriage. You may need a translated marriage certificate to satisfy USCIS and a Consular officer or maybe to get your spouse on your medical benefits at work but NOT to have your marriage recognized by any State, County or Local jurisdiction inside the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Translating a marriage certificate IS necessary but that has nothing to do with authenticating or registering a marriage in the USA after arrival. Authenticating a document is not authenticating a "marriage".

What is it about "married is married" that is so difficult to understand. Marriage in the USA is a State controlled function but when you move to another State, you don't need to register your marriage in the new state. The same is true with foreign marriage. You may need a translated marriage certificate to satisfy USCIS and a Consular officer or maybe to get your spouse on your medical benefits at work but NOT to have your marriage recognized by any State, County or Local jurisdiction inside the USA.

This is a true statement. We only had our marriage translated abroad - Egypt only because I knew at some point, we would need it for the Visa purpose or perhaps the medical benefits issue. The U.S. Embassy in Cairo told us the same thing, that we did not need to register our marriage with them for it to be a recognized as a valid marriage. They stated our marriage certificate/contract is valid in the U.S. with or without their notarized statement attached to it.

In short, "married is married".

Edited by Lizz&Mohamed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.