elsanbob

Pre or post marriage adoption of niece?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi All,

My finance' is raising her niece as her own but hasn't officially adopted her yet. Adoption of my daughter to be is not a question. Which would be best: 1) my finance' to adopt before we marry or 2) marry then adopt? Which would be best from the immigration point of view? We are going IR1 for sure and my daughter to be is with my finance'. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks all.

Bob :help::help:

Hi All,

My finance' is raising her niece as her own but hasn't officially adopted her yet. Adoption of my daughter to be is not a question. Which would be best: 1) my finance' to adopt before we marry or 2) marry then adopt? Which would be best from the immigration point of view? We are going IR1 for sure and my daughter to be is with my finance'. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks all.

How can you do a IR-1 spouse visa when you aren't married?

I'd say it would be a lot better if she adopts her niece before you guys marry. Neither way is easy tho.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You should post this in the PI regional forum.

There was another post yesterday (can't remember which forum) where a VJ'er (Dakine) with PI experienced posted links to the US Embassy Manila website giving detailed info regarding adoption. MAy want to check the embassy website too.

And there is Dakine. :thumbs:

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Hi All,

your fiancee has to legally adopt her niece first if she's planning on bringing the girl w/her. it takes a bit of long time, depending on the circumstance (lots of proof of psychological, emotional maturity, financial capacity etc, and several visits/investigations by the DSWD) so the sooner, the better.

after the niece is legally adopted, you can then petition your fiance as a K1 or marry her and go to for CR/IR, without any problem of the niece being included in the petition

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Hi All,

She is not your daughter officially, so your K1 finance will need to do the adoption at this point.

Immigration point of view.

If you are a U.S. citizen and the adoptive parent of a child or son or daughter who lived with you in your legal custody for two years while a child, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

A copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport

If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either:

your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or

your U.S. passport

A copy of the child’s birth certificate showing the child’s name

A certified copy of the adoption decree (the adoption must have taken place before the child reached the age of 16, with only one exception: if you adopted the child’s sibling who had not yet reached age 16, the older sibling must have been adopted before reaching the age of 18)

The legal custody decree if you obtained custody of the child before adoption

A statement showing the dates and places your child has lived with you, and proof that your child has lived with you and has been in your legal custody for at least two years

If anyone’s name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.

Edited by sjr09

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Hi All,

I'd say it would be a lot better if she adopts her niece before you guys marry. Neither way is easy tho.

True, maybe cheaper and faster if she adopts her in the PI

Timeline
Hi All,

thanks all, found info on the adoption thread also that fits and contacted a lawyer on this. Seems two routes. 1st through Hauge adoption (2 years about) or Fiance' adopt then marry (she still has to have 2years legal and physical custody of niece before niece could immigrate legally) I'm investigating this further with the lawyer to insure no missteps as she's a barrister here and in Philippines. Thank you all for your guidance and support!! May take a little longer but we have the rest of our lives. :-)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
Hi All,

I'd say it would be a lot better if she adopts her niece before you guys marry. Neither way is easy tho[/color].

thanks all, found info on the adoption thread also that fits and contacted a lawyer on this. Seems two routes. 1st through Hauge adoption (2 years about) or Fiance' adopt then marry (she still has to have 2years legal and physical custody of niece before niece could immigrate legally) I'm investigating this further with the lawyer to insure no missteps as she's a barrister here and in Philippines. Thank you all for your guidance and support!!

May take a little longer but we have the rest of our lives. :)

I like that :):thumbs:

Edited by Chris and Ani

bulgaria_mwp.gifusa_mwp.gif

CSC USCIS ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-02-19 : I-130 package sent_________________2009-02-20 : I-130 Received in Chicago, IL

2009-02-27 : NOA1 Approved____________________2009-05-04 : NOA2 Approved

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-05-11 : NVC case # assigned

2009-05-19 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated__________2009-05-20 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2009-05-26 : Sent In Completed I-864

2009-06-04 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC____2009-06-04 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2009-06-08 : DS-230 mailed to NVC

2009-07-10 : Case complete - in 141 days

2009-07-21 : Interview expedite request e-mailed to NVC

2009-07-27 : NVC replied NO to expedite request

2009-07-29 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for Sept.15th

2009-08-07 : Case left NVC

2009-08-10 : DHL shipped file

2009-08-12 : Case received in USEM, Sofia

2009-08-24 : Medical scheduled

2009-08-25 : Interview re-scheduled

2009-08-28 : Visa in hand

2009-09-01 : US entry - Boston, MA

2009-09-15 : Welcome letter sent (21st Sept received)

2009-09-30 : GC production ordered

2009-10-08 : GC received

2010-02-01 : little D was born :)

VSC ~ROC~ Journey

2011-06-03 : mailed ROC package

2011-06-06: ROC NOA1

2011-07-08: Biometrics appointment

2012-02-25: GC Approval

2012-03-....: PGC received

Hi All,

thanks all, found info on the adoption thread also that fits and contacted a lawyer on this. Seems two routes. 1st through Hauge adoption (2 years about) or Fiance' adopt then marry (she still has to have 2years legal and physical custody of niece before niece could immigrate legally) I'm investigating this further with the lawyer to insure no missteps as she's a barrister here and in Philippines. Thank you all for your guidance and support!! May take a little longer but we have the rest of our lives. :-)

Barrister, are you from Canada? Or living in the US? Barrister is a lawyer in Canadian court.... The VJ Guides, or any USCIS laws may not apply if that’s the case! Please fill in your timelines.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Barrister here? Where is here?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
Barrister here? Where is here?

My apologies as we're just beginning this journey. I used barrister as another term for lawyer. I'm located in California US, and Elsa in Manila PH. :thumbs:

My apologies for the confusion caused. The lady lawyer posted earlier in this thread is good in my humble opinion for this particular case. (not advocating just stating my personal feelings) Elsa and I are to be married in February in Manila and needed proper , legal guidance on the topic so to minimize the disruption in the ladies lives...Elsa and her niece.

Again , please accept my apologies for being incoherent, I promise I'll be more thoughtful on the next post.

Bob :blush:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey - no probs on da Barrister bit.

I work in Liverpool, UK, 3 to 6 months out of the year, I'm used to the term, and ya confused me , using it here - always assumption is Immigration to USA. But I digress.

IMO - your lass should have the adoption paperwork FINISHED before ya get married.

Warmest Regards..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.