Dan and Ali

Things you love/look forward to about America

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For me, Kingston is too small to really have much of a variety. Its getting a bit getter for some stuff, sushi, chinese etc, theres the Famous king for donairs, but no really good places like you find in little Italy or little India. I'd have to travel to Ottawa or TO to get some and thats a bit of a drive just for some curry.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well considering I moved to NYC, there really isn't the same kind of variety anywhere else! I moved from Toronto, so I've always had access to a variety of foods but NYC pretty much takes the cake. Especially my neighbourhood in Queens. We have an AMAZING authentic thai place, sushi place, mexican place all within walking distance.

The Mexican place is really what rocks my world though. It's like nothing I've ever tried before and you would NEVER find it in Canada.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I'm looking forward to the mountains and the ocean.. I live in SW Ontario.... aka pancake land.. lol ok it's not really called pancake land, but it IS freaken stupid-flat...

I'm also looking forward to the culture and celebrities (hahha no really)... Santa Barbara is pretty good for that... Oprah has a house only 15 mins away! LOL

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved from a small town in Canada to LA... lol

Well considering I moved to NYC, there really isn't the same kind of variety anywhere else! I moved from Toronto, so I've always had access to a variety of foods but NYC pretty much takes the cake. Especially my neighbourhood in Queens. We have an AMAZING authentic thai place, sushi place, mexican place all within walking distance.

The Mexican place is really what rocks my world though. It's like nothing I've ever tried before and you would NEVER find it in Canada.

I never knew what I was missing til I moved to LA.. now Mexican is my favourite type of food...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Amen to being far away from family.

I need to get away from them for a while... especially my mom.

(I've said the reasons numerous times in the wedding topic :lol:)

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

For me, the food here is fantastic, but I don't exactly have refined or exotic tastes. Its not that there is a greater selection of different foods, just better tasting greasy foods :P Like Chik-fil-a (my personal favorite), Goodtimes and Chilis. Honestly, I've gained 10 pounds in 4 months... Its really a terrible thing, but getting here has been a fun ride... :lol: Growing up I didn't really get to eat out much since my mom is all about natural food and cooking from scratch. She's definitely not a fan of fast food.

Shopping here is great! The biggest things are selection, lower prices, and better sales tax rates. Target is great! I'm also enjoying the department store craze... Dillard's, Macy's even places like JC Penny which somehow seem bigger and better down here. My new favorite place is Off Broadway shoes... A big selection of name brand shoes in one store where the prices are great and they give out coupons like they're candy! There are a lot of outlet stores around here too... $100 for a Coach purse? Really? I'm not going to complain. The taxes thing is great as well! There are parts of the state where you only pay 4% on goods... and its rare to see it over 8%. I never really considered the Ontario tax rate that bad, but having the benefit of comparison now, its nice not having to tack an extra 14% on everything you buy!

The weather here is pretty cool. Its snowed today! Usually I wouldn't say snow in early October is a good thing, but there is something cool about enjoying warm summer weather one day and then seeing snow fall from the sky a few days later. It keeps you guessing! In Ontario you could just expect that between mid November and mid March its just going to be cold and there will probably be snow that sticks around for months at a time... Here you don't know if you need a winter jacket or a t-shirt.

The scenery is definitely awesome here. I get to see the Rocky Mountains everyday, which I love. Today I saw three deer just eating grass in someones yard... you don't get that in Welland! But, I've also lost the Niagara Falls and the Great Lakes... so in many ways its a tradeoff. The big thing for me is having a change of scenery. Something new to see, something new to eat, new people to talk to, and just live my life with my husband without having to worry about traveling, and all the other hassles that go with a long distance relationship.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have eaten out in restaurants way more in the 4 years that I have been in the US then I did in the 30 years I lived in Canada :P ...lol

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

I just came back for my first trip to Canada...and although I thought I 'missed it' I realize, i'm so happy having moved.

This may come out wrong, but being from Toronto (more commonly where the vast majority of cultures and immigrants can be found), I find people here in Toronto much more rude...as well, the immigrants here have an attitude of 'entitlement'....instead of being respectful of the 'ways of Canada' I find that they bring some of their ways of living from back home and just rudely expect people around them to accept it...kind of like 'this is Canada the country that accepts all cultures so just deal with it'... I for one am usually very respectful of my surroundings and am grateful for opportunities I have been given. Today I was cut off by this guy...who then tried flipping me off and tried starting a fight with his heavy accent... i'm so turned off by the ignorance...I like where I live now because it is a City suburb and a lot more locals....I don't mind a little diversity, but i'm not so attracted to the thought of pulling into a new Country every city block I drive....it's just personal preference....It's just like anyone wanting to move to the UK or France because they like the people. I find that Canada is one of the few Countries where people can migrate to, and feel as though they never have to learn the language or the ways of true Canadian roots. As well, I find Canada, overly accommodating to many cultures...like when you go to the bank and there is 6 different languages available at the ATM before you even see English lol. Again, i'm sure this is more demographically a large city thing and not necessarily a Canadian thing.

I never realized how ignorant some parts of Canada were until I moved. I also find that in a major city such as Toronto, people are cold and keep to themselves. Here in the US (or at least in my neighbourhood) people are nice. This is one reason for sure, I know that I will always be happy being a visitor to places like NYC but not a resident. I feel like larger overly saturated cities lack substance.

I'm happy to come visit my family here in Canada, but don't miss the overall experience. Again, I think I actually just take issue with ignorance, which sadly is found everywhere :(

Overall, i'd say both have their good and bad....i'm just happy with my move :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

I am happy I moved too. I don't really see myself going back to Canada. If anything we'll move to another state.

I think for a lot of my time here I have been wasting it by wanting to go back and really that's no way to live a life. Yearning for something that I could easily have. I think the two year mark is when I slowly started to come around. This is my home now. I am okay with that.

The grass is always greener, if I went home there would be things that I miss here.

I go back home and sometimes my friends and family says really anti-American things and I find myself getting offended. Mostly because the stuff they say is just not true, mostly just ignorant. Yea there are differences but it's not like I am in the depths of hell here... I am far from. I am happy.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I'd love to move to another state, too!!!!

I'd love to move to like, Vermont or Rhode Island..something like that. Even Mass. would be cool. I just hate living in Jersey!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So, this topic might already exist and if it does I apologise! Lately I'm feeling really nervous about moving (even though I won't be for several months) and I would love some positive reinforcement! So, please tell me what you LOVE about living in America, OR if you haven't moved yet, what you are looking forward to! Specifically, I'm looking for things that you love/look forward that either aren't available in Canada, are different in Canada or just blatant preferences in comparison to Canada. Note: I'm really not looking to bash on Canada, just looking for some positive reinforcement!

I'll start! Some things I am looking forward to:

- Better weather! I am greatly looking forward to longer, hotter summers, milder winters and earlier spring!

- More reasonable cost of living (I currently live in Alberta where a 2 bedroom apartment is ~$1000+, a 2 bedroom apartment in SLC, Utah is ~$600!)

- Waffle fries. I know they're terrible for me but I love them and I have never seen them in Canada.

- Being able to watch clips on www.hulu.com ... A silly thing to look forward to be something to look forward to nonetheless! I can't stand it when I get that "this is not available in your area" message and really look forward to being able to watch whatever I want whenever I want!

- Cheaper airfare to overseas destinations (compared to the cost from Edmonton, anyway ;P)

So, those are all the ones I can think of ... any and all contributions would be greatly appreciated!

- Ali :)

Being closer to the ocean

Being closer to the lots of beaches

Warmer weather,no more snow

Access to all other beatiful cities(san diego,san francisco,vegas etc....

Cheaper food &gas

Moving to LA by the way

I-130 Journey

04-18-09 - I-130 sent USPS Priority to Chicago Lockbox

04-24-09 - I-130 received by USCS and the first touch

04-27-09 - I-130 NOA1 (California Service Center)

04-27-09 - Check Cashed

08-13-09 - I-130 Received NOA2 e-mail

08-17-09 - I-130 Received NOA2 Hardcopy (I-797)

NVC Journey

08-17-09 - NVC Received/Case number assigned

09-08-09 - NVC sent the first mail to the petitioner

09-08-09 - DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated

09-08-09 - E-mailed DS-3032

09-09-09 - Mailed DS-3032

09-09-09 - Pay AOS Bill (Online)

09-10-09 - AOS Bill Show as PAID

09-10-09 - IV Bill Generated

09-11-09 - Paid IV Bill

09-11-09 - NVC accepted DS-3032(received an e-mail)

09-12-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

09-14-09 - IV Bill Show as PAID

09-15-09 - I-864 received at NVC

09-16-09 - Mailed IV Package(DS-230)

09-17-09 - DS-230 package delivered to NVC(confirmed via fed-ex)

09-21-09 - NVC received the DS-230

09-23-09 - NVC sent an e-mail asking for DS-230 package

09-24-09 - NVC confirmed that the DS-230 package received

09-26-09 - Login Failed!!!

09-28-09 - Case Completed at NVC --------------------------------------------------NVC stage is completed in 38 days

01-27-10 - Medical

02-05-10 - Interview Date

04-14-10 - POE

Done with USCIS until Apr 14,2012 (Removal of Conditions)

Timeline
I have eaten out in restaurants way more in the 4 years that I have been in the US then I did in the 30 years I lived in Canada :P ...lol

Me too girl ! I used to consider going out a treat, now its a 3 times a week thing.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

True, going out to eat used to be a treat for me too.

Like a once every 4 months kind of thing... my parents turned into people who shunned restaurants, sadly. :(

But now that I live alone I eat out like once a week. It's still too expensive here.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'd love to move to another state, too!!!!

I'd love to move to like, Vermont or Rhode Island..something like that. Even Mass. would be cool. I just hate living in Jersey!

Come on over to PA. We're way better than NJ. ;)

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.