Sprailenes

So foxy loxy, how do you like your turkey lurkey?

126 posts in this topic

Since it is just the two of us and Joe has to work, I'll be making a turkey breast with stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash and something green:-) instead of a whole turkey (although my favourite is dark meat).

I miss the Thanksgivings we used to have when my Mom was still alive - she would invite anyone she knew who didn't have a family to go to or who were living on their own to join us - often students from Queen's University who couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving. We never had fewer than 10 people with us for Thanksgiving and often more. We always had turkey, stuffing (prepared in the bird), mashed potatoes and gravy, mashed turnips, peas, glazed carrots, a relish tray and a selection of homemade pies - lemon meringue, apple and pumpkin - for dessert. Our favourite dessert was called a 'yes' - "Would you like a piece of lemon meringue pie, apple pie or pumpkin pie?" "Yes!" - so you got a small slice of each :yes: .

Awwww... that's really sweet :)

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

didn't even realize that the Canadian Thanksgiving was coming up.. probably won't do anything as the hubster as to work.. we haven't done anything on that day since I have moved here anyways...

but for the American Thanksgiving we have the big meal with turkey and stuffing etc... and I always bring my Chocolate Trifle.. I have to bring it every year now or I will be ostracized ..lol

for Christmas they always have tamales and just tamales... :blink: so I usually bring some salad or dip etc...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husbands family has some pasta dish for Christmas. Then they do that feast of the 7 fishes thing on Christmas eve too.

But I like having turkey on Christmas day.... and snow. So I am going home. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Going home for Thanksgiving...John has to stay back and work, but since I'm all but out of work, I thought what the heck!

I'm bringing the Turkey :lol:

Mum fell in love with the fresh turkey that I use, and is having me bring one up...even looked online to see if I could bring one into Canada! Apparently you can bring One Whole Turkey, or 10Kg of turkey product :lol:

We're doing Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday, so we can have leftovers (hot turkey sandwiches on Sunday) and grandma's 80th birthday dinner at the Keg on Monday.

Oh, and John was also mortified about me actually Stuffing the bird. Thought we'd get salmanella(sp?) poisoning :lol:

Now, he loves it!

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

I want to try turducken.

I saw something about it on tv and it looks good.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Ooooo...turkey (L)

I am Canadian, but I have been living in New Zealand for the last 16 years, and they don't have Thanksgiving. The last few years turkey was easier to find in the shops, but it seemed a lot of fuss for one person.

I've been looking forward to it, but my husband's family don't 'do' thanksgiving. They don't do turkey either for Christmas :(

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline
My inlaws always say: "I didn't realize she was so traditional and had to celebrate her thanksgiving every year"

Um duh, it's freaking turkey!!! I'll squeeze as many turkey eating days as I can out of the year.

I even made up a fake turkey holiday, well sort of, I told my husband that on family day, Canadians generally eat Turkey to celebrate traditional family dinners together. He bought it - CHA CHING!

Lol I totally hear you on this one. My family is german so we generally have ham at christmas instead of turkey, but hey...now I get 3 thanksgivings! WOOHOO!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Mmmm ham .... for us, ham is an Easter dish only ... but hubby loves ham. I wonder if he would rather have that than turkey?

BTW Nev, I LOVE the Feast of the 7 fishes. We do a modified version, since there are not that many in my immediate family.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

I think my husband was surprised that I remembered Canadian turkey day when I traipsed home with turkey from the store the other day. I'll be making that on Sunday. He's only been here for a month, so I didn't want the poor guy to miss out... although secretly I'm doing it just as much (or more!) for myself because what's better than TWO turkey days! :dance:

The only thing is I'm not sure what I'm making with it. It will only be the two of us, so I don't want a huge spread. He said something about carrots, which we would never have at my family's Thanksgiving, so I'll have to ask him about that. There will definitely be mashed potates, gravy and stuffing, but besides that, I'm not sure. We'll be having pumpkin pie at my parent's bonfire on Friday night - is pumpkin pie on Friday and Sunday too much?

I bought a pumpkin pie for myself and I ate it 4 days in a row :blush:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

TRKY-EatHam-myed.jpg

Have you guys seen the turducken with pork stuffing?? Now that's just too much... lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I think I might make a turkey breast for Canadian Thanksgiving, however for the past 2 years we've gone out on that holiday here, and I've ordered a turkey burger at Red Robin. :lol: We had a small turkey last month...just because, so I'm unsure if I'll make one on Monday. My in-laws have Thanksgiving dinner in November for the U.S. Thanksgiving feast, and a feast it is! We don't spend Christmas with anyone, but I know they have roasted beef on Christmas Day. I think maybe some American's don't have turkey at Christmas because they had turkey for Thanksgiving, less than a month before? I don't know....

I love turkey though!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.