Filipina Lover

Duty on things you send your Filipina

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does your filipina get charged any duty on things you send her?

I sent some pictures and they didn't charge any duty, it was about 200 pictures

but I ordered a mouse from Hong Kong and had it sent to her, only $1, and they charged her 50 pesos duty, is the duty rate 100% or is it just 100% for Hong Kong?

I just sent her some stuff myself from America, about $20 value, and I am wondering if they will charge her $20 tax on it.

I'm very unhappy about that high duty on $1, but I don't know if that is how it is, or is customs sticking money in their pockets.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've never heard of anyone being charged a duty tax on things that have been sent and I know a lot of Filipinos here in the states who regularly sent care packages to their relatives back in the Philippines. It sounds like it's only select items. FWIW, Dell computers are assembled there, so maybe in the future, it'd be cheaper to wire her money and let her buy computer equipment there on her own.

Filed: Timeline

If you send it through the mail, they hold it at the post office until the duty is paid, that is, if it makes it that far. Electronics and clothes get hit pretty hard on duties. Like John said, postal workers don't get paid well, and to make ends meet, they often pocket the duty themselves. It helps to "tip" your postal carrier each time, to make sure the next package arrives safely. Ask your fiancee. She probably knows the score.

If you use a carrier, like Fedex, UPS, or LBC, they generally have a "fixer", that avoids the payment of duty by the recipient. It is just a cost of doing bussiness for them in the Philippines.

Edited by Lone Ranger

NEVER send anything valuable in the mail. I sent a ring, and 100 dollar bill in a card. The card had a tassel, the ring was tied to it.

The card got there, with no ring or money!!!

Filed: Timeline
NEVER send anything valuable in the mail. I sent a ring, and 100 dollar bill in a card. The card had a tassel, the ring was tied to it.

The card got there, with no ring or money!!!

I learned to use padded mailers, with "DOCUMENTS ONLY - NO CASH" on the outside. Those always made it, because they can't get the glue to release without destoying the envelope. Regular greeting cards and letters spend overnight in the freezer, so the glue releases, and they can reseal the envelopes after looking for money inside

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks, good information to know. Even the post office in America steals my mail too around Christmas time.

I have sent things through the mail over there without any hitches. It's way cheaper to wire money there and let her purchase what she needs than to ship something unless you do one of those huge care package deals for $100 (whatever you can fit into the box goes). Some people here love to generalize about corruption. If you want some assurance, insure the package you send. The USPS has international express mail which is actually hand delivered via FedEx, but at a considerably cheaper price. Not everyone in the Philippines is out to steal your precious Amerikano goods.

How bout check cashin? :rofl:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow