zqt3344

How come Obama failed to secure Olympics

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Well it wold never have worked in LA as you need public transport. Not to mention the huge negative of south central amongst other things.

Showing your lack of knowledge? Los Angeles hosted the Olympics twice, 1932 and 1984.

Anyway, LA is another has been. Hence why everyone lives in the burbs. Look at LAX international, which has not been renovated since it opened in the early 80's. Every time I go back to Melbourne or Sydney their already new airports are being renovated or expanded yet again. These nice airports are ####### compared to the rest of the world's airports; which absolutely annihilate LAX.

I am starting to get a picture why the country is the way it is. You guys promote mediocrity. It's why places like US airports are just ####### and boring.

Come visit Compton, and then tell me how boring Los Angeles is.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Germany tops the UK in that regard to. Only comparable city I can think of is Manchester, a lot which was redeveloped a few years ago for the commonwealth games.

Hopefully the 2012 games will do something similar to London and the south east.

Didn't help Los Angeles, or Atlanta. Both those cities suck hind titty.

The geography is different.

I haven't been to Atlanta proper, but the LA area does have a fair few really nice neighborhoods. The problem with it as a whole is that the integration isn't there, though that is getting better with the metro rail.

Yes, it is urban sprawl on steriods. Los Angles becomes a different town, however, when you live there long enough to consider it as a bunch of communities. Then it takes on an unusual flavor. But, returning to the town I was born and raised in, much of that flavor I remember is lost. It has become plain jello.

Our relatives are pretty much all in East LA - you do have some very different communities out there (and a real sense of community). The closer you get to LA proper - the more rundown it gets. Its downhill after Pasadena (which was pretty shitty through the 80's and 90's), with odd pockets of better areas like Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Beverly Hills and San Marino.

Yes another ghetto. You do realize the rest of the developed world is not plagued with ghettos as is the US.

Then again why am I expecting you to understand, when you believe a small business owner taking home the exact same pay as an employee, should be entitled to paying almost no tax.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I don't think the reason the US lost the bid had anything to do with crime, or infrastructure as winning the bid usually spurs quite a bit investment to fix both and Rio is in worse shape than Chicago. But instead the loss was due to the overly restrictive visa and border security laws and rules. How can you host an international event to the scale of the Olympics, if you are not very open to or hassle tourists coming to watch the games.

keTiiDCjGVo

Our relatives are pretty much all in East LA - you do have some very different communities out there (and a real sense of community). The closer you get to LA proper - the more rundown it gets. Its downhill after Pasadena (which was pretty shitty through the 80's and 90's), with odd pockets of better areas like Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Beverly Hills and San Marino.

Opposite case in most other cities abroad; for obvious reasons.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Timeline

Yes another ghetto. You do realize the rest of the developed world is not plagued with ghettos as is the US.

Then again why am I expecting you to understand, when you believe a small business owner taking home the exact same pay as an employee, should be entitled to paying almost no tax.

Yeah, yeah. Go punch your time clock until the boss can't afford you anymore and tosses you a pink slip. 9 to 5 man! Are you on the clock now?

Timeline
The geography is different.

I haven't been to Atlanta proper, but the LA area does have a fair few really nice neighborhoods. The problem with it as a whole is that the integration isn't there, though that is getting better with the metro rail.

That's because everyone else in the world is centered around modern cities. I am yet to find one other developed country where the outer outer burbs are the place to be. Let alone fragmented and dying small towns.

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote here.

I don't think the reason the US lost the bid had anything to do with crime, or infrastructure as winning the bid usually spurs quite a bit investment to fix both and Rio is in worse shape than Chicago. But instead the loss was due to the overly restrictive visa and border security laws and rules. How can you host an international event to the scale of the Olympics, if you are not very open to or hassle tourists coming to watch the games.

Strange consider how strict Australia's rules are. Requiring everyone to have a visa to travel.

Before anyone gets made, remember I am just the messenger, not the hater. What it comes down to is that people just don't like the US. I hate to say it but it's true. Now thanks to the two unpopular wars and the financial crisis, which dragged the entire world down, they hate the country even more. It used to be just middle eastern countries but a short trip to Europe or Asia and a nice discussion with the locals will show you exactly how highly they regard the US.

Edited by Booyah!

Timeline

Opposite case in most other cities abroad; for obvious reasons.

What are these obvious reasons?

LA covers a massive (reallly really massive) land area - so big its absorbed the towns around it.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

what is wrong with living in the outer burbs??

I like living in the area where I live but I still like being close enough to LA to go visit there once in awhile...

it is too busy there.. I wouldn't want to live there...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
what is wrong with living in the outer burbs??

I like living in the area where I live but I still like being close enough to LA to go visit there once in awhile...

it is too busy there.. I wouldn't want to live there...

I'm not sure what he means - something about centralised city planning I guess, but there are a fair few cities which have similar problems.

France has urban ghettoes in the "inner burbs" of Paris due to piss-poor urban integration from those neighborhoods to the city centre. If you visit Paris (or even if you live there) you won't see it - but its there.

Strange consider how strict Australia's rules are. Requiring everyone to have a visa to travel.

Before anyone gets made, remember I am just the messenger, not the hater. What it comes down to is that people just don't like the US. I hate to say it but it's true. Now thanks to the two unpopular wars and the financial crisis, which dragged the entire world down, they hate the country even more. It used to be just middle eastern countries but a short trip to Europe or Asia and a nice discussion with the locals will show you exactly how highly they regard the US.

Requiring a visa is not really an issue. Especially if getting a visa is relatively easy.

Its a combination of the difficulty of getting a visa in the US, with the harrstment travellers may face at PoE's

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
and it could have been because S. America has never held the games & they were due.

that is my thinking as well...

North America has held the Olympics a lot of times already...

mvSuprise-hug.gif