Ume

Divorce Waiver of joint filing Evidence??

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, I need some advice on my green card issue.

I got married on March 24th this year, got my conditional green card in August. However, I am getting a divorce but I would like to stay here until I Decide to go back to Japan rather than being forced to leave.

Our marriage is real but since we haven't been married for that long and we don't share personal things, I don't really have evidences.

I have mails with our names, affidavids from friends, in-lows, husband and councelor.

I can take pictures of the dog we bought together and the house which has both of our stuff everywhere.

Do you think those are enough?

Thank you all for taking your time. I will check and update this post later

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from K-3 forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You can file to adjust your status if you are divorced, but they will require the divorce decree so you will have to file for the divorce and wait for it to be final. You will also have to gather as much evidence of your marriage that you can. If you can get copies of the lease or other forms of shared assets (things in both of your names) then it will prove you entered the relationship in good faith and without intention of coming here for a green card. Once you file for divorce, you do not need to wait until your conditional green card expires to file AOS. File right away as soon as your divorce is final.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You can file to adjust your status if you are divorced, but they will require the divorce decree so you will have to file for the divorce and wait for it to be final. You will also have to gather as much evidence of your marriage that you can. If you can get copies of the lease or other forms of shared assets (things in both of your names) then it will prove you entered the relationship in good faith and without intention of coming here for a green card. Once you file for divorce, you do not need to wait until your conditional green card expires to file AOS. File right away as soon as your divorce is final.

It's late and I could very easily be confused due to lack of sleep BUT ..

She said in her post that she got her conditional green card in August of this year; so that means she has already filed AOS .. she cannot file to remove conditions until 90 days before her green card expires and that will be May of 2011. The rest of the advice about collecting evidence sounds right though.

I believe that the answer she was looking for is, yes .. you can stay at least until your green card expires at the very least.

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She said in her post that she got her conditional green card in August of this year; so that means she has already filed AOS .. she cannot file to remove conditions until 90 days before her green card expires and that will be May of 2011. The rest of the advice about collecting evidence sounds right though.

I believe that the answer she was looking for is, yes .. you can stay at least until your green card expires at the very least.

A conditional greencard is a 2 year greencard based on being married, she cannot file AOS until her divorce is complete. ie: she needs to have an actual divorce decree (legal documentation) she may have adjusted her status, but she still needs to remove the conditions of that status (ie: her 2 year to her 10 year greencard) If she files for divorce and the divorce goes through, she can immediately file to remove conditions prior to the 90 day requirement of married couples. She should file immediaely after her divorce decree is in hand despite that 90 day requirement of married couples.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A conditional greencard is a 2 year greencard based on being married, she cannot file AOS until her divorce is complete. ie: she needs to have an actual divorce decree (legal documentation) she may have adjusted her status, but she still needs to remove the conditions of that status (ie: her 2 year to her 10 year greencard) If she files for divorce and the divorce goes through, she can immediately file to remove conditions prior to the 90 day requirement of married couples. She should file immediaely after her divorce decree is in hand despite that 90 day requirement of married couples.

Thanks for clearing that up .. :thumbs:

Donnie and Sylvia

Just a small suggestion: You will need a lot more evidence than what you have listed above. I don't see any financial risk sharing in there. Also your spouse needs to either file for jointly and more likely you will be called for an interview or you can try by yourself....

September 5th 2007 Married in the U.S

October 15th 2007 documents were recieved

Nov 25th 2007 biometrics

Dec 17 2007 work authorization

Feb 26 2008 interview and approval

25 Nov 2009 I-751

27 Nov 2009 NOA

11 Dec 2009 Biometrics (early bio)

31 Dec 2009 touch (web site indicates last update)

Timeline

Thank you all for your reply.

We do not have joint credit card since we don't share our income. We decided who pays what and how much each pay.

I moved in to his appartment so I did not get to sign up for lease.

Do you guys have any idea what could be evidence other than what's been listed here?

Thanks

Wedding photos

Joint bank statements

Joint tax returns (if any)

Utility bills

Do you still keep the receipt of the dog you two bought together? It can be an evidence as well.

It's kinda hard to collect evidence of "marriage in good faith" when you don't share finance and the marriage is over in half a year or so.

If the cause of divorce is infidelity or something that sort of your husband, you can provide the evidence of the cause for the condition lifting.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Timeline

I have e-mails that we sent and received from breeder that have both our names. We have a e-mail address we share.

Wedding pictures will be what we brought to AOS interview, and I have a copy of check payable to both of us.

We are still working on getting counselor so if we stay married for long enough, there will be a joint tax return.

Do you think those are enough?

Is there anyone who did go to the interview for filing waiver for joint filing?

When and where did you go and what did they ask you?

Thanks

I think lots of folks in the "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits" will be able to help you.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=127

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.