rosezahra

Just Curious Question, Anyone filed for hardship for not meeting their fiance?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

rose, it's more fair to the people replying to you to include all of the information:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=24558

I still think you have a lot more than the USCIS to overcome.

Agreed. Marriage brings up a ton more problems and issues than a K-1. All the problems that prevent you from meeting won't be resolved with a K-1 and will in fact get a lot worse. Add into that problems of money and it's a recipe for disaster. I believe the number one reason for divorces is money issues. It costs a lot of money to set up house and if you don't have parents to fall back on in an emergency, where do you turn to? My parents aren't particularly thrilled about my choice in spouse (to put it mildly), but we didn't cut them out of the process, didn't burn our bridges, and thank God, his parent and my parents have been able to help us out as we start out our life.

Plus, people differ greatly online from in person. I met my DH (dear/damn husband, depending on the day) online, and even after meeting 3 times in person, living together 24/7 on a permenant basis has brought up a ton more issues and problems we didn't even imagine would exist when we lived in our happy little online love world.

My advice overall? Be patient. If your love is true, it will be able to survive a few years while you both either go to college and then get jobs, or go and get jobs to start to build a firm base. My DH and I knew each other for 2 years before we met, and then waited another 2 years after that before we filed for the K-1 visa. We waited until we were financially independent and ready to make a life long commitment to each other. :luv:

I agree with Rahma. I waited 2 and a half years before meeting the man I met online and we were essentially the same people, but other things do come out about that person. The online world is greatly a fantasy. However, my relationship lasted 4 years before we sent a K-1. I think this has done us a lot of good. We wanted to wait to be financial stable also. I agree with the person commenting that money is the number 1 cause of divorce. Get yourselves sorted financially and then work it out.

December 12 2005 ~ sent I129F packet to

December 14 2005 ~ Packet Recieved by

December 20 2005 ~ NOA 1

December 29 2005 ~ Touched

March 9 2006 ~ NOA2

April 5 2006 ~ Packet 3 arrives

April 11 2006 ~ Packet 3 returned to London Embassy

June 12 2006 ~ Interview Date (APPROVED!)

June 26 2006 ~ Entered the U.S. under K-1 Visa

July 06 2006 ~ JOP marriage

September 12 2006~ I-485 Received by INS

September 18 2006~ NOA recieved

September 30 2006~ Married

October 3 2006 ~ Biometrics Appointment (Fingerprinted)

November 16, 2006~ RFE reply received ...didn't even know we had an RFE (INS stated that the RFE was

probably sent to the DR. that did our biometrics)

January 17, 2007 ~ CSC is now processing cases received September 25 (11 days after ours was received) :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks Miranda! and yes I agree with Rahma too!

Im glad i asked bout this its making me think clearly now lol!

i must leave cloud nine now

Please consider very, very carefully what you're doing. I don't mean to sound patronising, but you and your sweetie are both quite young to be considering marriage at all, let alone a marriage at which a good many people will be displeased and a marriage that carries significant financial, emotional, and bureaucratic challenges.

The folks here, including myself, will want you both to be happy and successful with the path you choose. That's why so many people are advising you to slow down, consider the consequences, and MEET this man before you decide to spend the rest of your life together.

If you give yourselves a chance to spend some time together and warm both of your families to the idea that you want to be together, you may gain a better understanding of each other and the family support you WILL want to have at some point. You're both so young. And it's wonderful that you've found someone who makes you so happy.

And if it's real, it will survive some patience, forethought, and care.

Thanks PAX I AGREE 110% WITH YOU :)! just u know im an impulsive impatient person :unsure:

have not started my visa application, have not decided what route to take, planning my trip to America, and asking questions to see what best route to take . *breathes*.

Rose I know I gave you advice on your other thread (btw thanks for the kind words Rapsberry Swirl (F) ), but I gotta say you really SHOULD listen to us all here - I know we arent YOU, but we've been there, been where you are with the impatience and stuff..

My man and I have been together now 5 years, managing to squeeze visits in when finances allow - which is nowhere CLOSE to how many we'd like and although I think we know each other pretty well, I know for CERTAIN that we don't know each other as well as we would if we lived closer - or on the same continent!

All realtionships take TIME - please don't rsuh things because its a way to 'escape' or rush into something which may end up being a mistake.. especially if by doing so you cut yourself from family. If that happens and, god forbid, your relationship fails, you will be alone in a foreign land with no-one to turn to, or even call for help and guidance.

I would not wish that on you or anyone.

If however, you wait, and your family and/or his see how mature the 2 of you are being by waiting until you can make a real go of things, AND that your feeling remain unchanged and strong, then they may come around and support you too.

Best of luck

Edited by Jaylen Brit

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Even though its in the law, I know of no culture or religion that prevents ppl from meeting before a marriage. Even in family arranged marriages the parties are allowed to meet.

You will never be approved without meeting in person. The USCIS has interpreted a hardship as something being virtually impossible.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You know... everyone is saying she should meet him before getting married. Well, she IS gonna meet him before getting married anyway. After he gets in the US they'll have 90 days to see if thats what they want.

But.... I'd still make an effort to go see him though. Both because it'd be great to get to meet the person that makes me feel so good and because it'd help getting the K1 visa approved. :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

howdy Thanks all!

MrMrsknight love ur reply :yes: ... im just thinking JUST A THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meeting someone for 5 days enough for K1 to accept? like lets say in 6 months time something worked outtttttt he came overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr would that be alright or would that still propose a question in whether ''our lurve is real''

Oh and what kind of RFE evidence should one give to help with the K1 being accepted please list them...oh and whats the real reason for why they ask for pictures the fact that theyve been together or too see how inlove they look in the PICTURES LOL! okkkkk

yes what evidence should one propose to make their K1 visa accepted!

btw the cost of K1 VISA AND AOS does it come around 2000$ ?

JUST CURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have not started my visa application, have not decided what route to take, planning my trip to America, and asking questions to see what best route to take . *breathes*.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have been given lots of great advice already. I suggest you read the guides and FAQs up above in the blue tabs, all your answers are there.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Over the several years I've been following this and other immigration boards, I've seen several people try. I have not seen anyone succeed. I'm sure some people DO succeed, but from what I understand, success depends on either demonstrating that you are both long-time practicing members of an established religion which has a long-established prohibition on the meeting of marrying couples before their marriage, or that it would be an extreme hardship for the US citizen to travel. Extreme hardship usually means at least something like a medical condition that prevents airplane flight, along with an inability to use ground transportation to get to Canada or Mexico, and an inability to take an ocean liner. It's not enough to prove you can't get to your fiancee's country and your fiancee can't come to the US; you must also show that the two of you couldn't possibly arrange a meeting in some third country somewhere.

Inconvenience or financial hardship won't work. In fact, if you're too diligent about showing that it's financially impossible for you to meet, then you run the risk of giving them evidence to deny the visa on public charge grounds.

I have only seen one succeed... It was for a gentleman who had to have dialysis every day or else he would die. The only places he could travel to to get his care were Canada and the US and his fiancee was denied a tourist visa to both of those locations. He documented his case with a letter from his doctor and evidence that his fiancee was denied the tourist visas. His waiver was then approved.

This is the only case that I have seen and it's quite extreme. They take the meeting in the last two year requirement very seriously.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
howdy Thanks all!

MrMrsknight love ur reply :yes: ... im just thinking JUST A THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meeting someone for 5 days enough for K1 to accept? like lets say in 6 months time something worked outtttttt he came overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr would that be alright or would that still propose a question in whether ''our lurve is real''

Oh and what kind of RFE evidence should one give to help with the K1 being accepted please list them...oh and whats the real reason for why they ask for pictures the fact that theyve been together or too see how inlove they look in the PICTURES LOL! okkkkk

yes what evidence should one propose to make their K1 visa accepted!

btw the cost of K1 VISA AND AOS does it come around 2000$ ?

JUST CURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 days is meeting so it would be fine.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just make sure you guys know a lot about each other. One thing is to get the petition approved.... another thing is to get the visa! You'll have the interview to get the visa and they can ask just about anything to see how well you know one another.

I'd say that even if there wasn't an interview..... :yes: It's better to know who you're bringing into your home. ;)

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Thanks!!! Yeah well Ive decided not to rush into things now but were still learning about eachother and love eachother even more everytime we do!!! Im hoping there will be a time were it will be suitable for him to comeover and Im sure there will be after he starts earning... I guess we want everything to happen now because we cant bare not being together!! but thats understandable anyway... Im just thinking about the gathering evidence now I know i know i shudnt think just yet pointless lol! But I like to think AHEAD its just meeeeee and i like to ask questions when im CURIOUS im sure u all no that of me BY NOW! and my dramatic life LOL!!!!!!

Im kind of confused as there has been various responses in the RFE discussion...I just want to know exactly what is enough and how does one proove they have been together at the same time etc etc......

And does the overall K1 visa and AOS marriage thing cost around 2000$?

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.