trailmix

You moved to the U.S. to be with your SO

152 posts in this topic

LCBO sells beer here too. I've yet to understand that one.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
PA is much like Ontario, they have a liquor control board.

This is true, but they are starting to sell beer in certain supermarkets, but under bar rules, which means you can purchase up to 2 six packs at a time. So if you need more, you take your purchase to the car and go back in for more. There is one market by me in Lansdale that has that, and I got a flyer in the mail recently about a Wegmans opening up in Collegeville soon that will have a restaurant where you can buy beer to drink in the store and I believe for take out as well.

Right around the corner from where I live I have a "drive through" beer distributor. I took the hubby through it once and he just looked like a little kid at Christmas. You mean you just tell them what you want, they go get it and put it in the car for you, you pay and leave and there's no line? REALLY? That's so cool! All I could say is, um yeah and I looked at him like he had 3 heads. Then I realized I grew up with places like this and since Ontario has nothing even remotely like this its going to be new and different for him. So now when he gets like that I just smile, chuckle a bit, wink at him and call him a nutbar.

COOL, beer at Wegmans!! :dance:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I think it's cool that grocery stores and Targets (some not all) sell alcohol, but that makes their selection suck.

I LOVE the LCBO.

I don't really drink, but I like going in there just to look around at all the stuff they have.

And I like how the Beer Store has everything on their walls :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, I guess I am immature for missing my mother, my friends, and general familiarity and feeling like I did give it up.

I can't just go back home when I have the urge, it's a 10 hour trip. I gave up the ability to be able to just see my mother when I feel like it. I gave up seeing my friends on regular basis. I go back now and things aren't the same, I have missed out on a lot: weddings, funerals, baby showers. I would consider that giving it up.

You know I think a lot of people are seeing it as a negative thing, and that's fine. I don't always see it as a negative thing but just as a way of feeling. Everyone deals with this process differently and calling ones feelings "immature" just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't argue or state my opinion too much on public forums for this reason. Half the time I can't be bothered to argue with people, other times it's cause people read things totally the wrong way.

I don't consider the FEELING of missing home as immature, but when you verbally express "I'm giving up everything" to say how you feel(especially to your SO)....it's just not a good way to put it.

That's just my opinion. Back to people's stories......

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think it's cool that grocery stores and Targets (some not all) sell alcohol, but that makes their selection suck.

I LOVE the LCBO.

I don't really drink, but I like going in there just to look around at all the stuff they have.

I will never forget the first time my hubby took me into the LCBO or the Beer Store. I nearly fell over when I saw the prices! I know he took me in there just to get a laugh!

I'm really hoping he doesn't have a hard time transitioning into living in the states. He has stayed with me alot over the course of our relationship. He had a great working schedule where he would work 5 days and be off for 5 days so on his days off he would drive the 8 hours and visit with me even if I was working. We even got to see The Tragically Hip at a very small venue in Philly and was so excited to finally see them because "you'd never get tickets in Toronto for a place like this". So he knows my area pretty well and how to get into the city if he wants to explore. He is an explorer at heart and likes to venture off the beaten path to see things so I really don't think it will be an issue for him. His family is scattered between Montreal and New Brunswick so he never really sees them all that much anyway and his/our friends, well, that's only an 8 hour drive away to Toronto for us. :thumbs:

Reading this thread and the VJ boards in general I'm realizing how lucky we are that we never minded that 8 hour drive back and forth and that no matter what happens and who moves where, I think we will both be comfortable wherever we are as long as we have each other. Now if only we can get there... . :whistle:

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

My fiance's reaction is PRICELESS when he sees the food prices here.

Almost 9 bucks for 2L of good ice cream?

I think he almost had a heart attack.

Here, Haagen Dazs is almost 8 dollars a pint, but he can get it at work for less than 4.

It's just insane.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I LOVE the LCBO.

I will never forget the first time my hubby took me into the LCBO or the Beer Store. I nearly fell over when I saw the prices! I know he took me in there just to get a laugh!

I'm really hoping he doesn't have a hard time transitioning into living in the states. He has stayed with me alot over the course of our relationship. He had a great working schedule where he would work 5 days and be off for 5 days so on his days off he would drive the 8 hours and visit with me even if I was working. We even got to see The Tragically Hip at a very small venue in Philly and was so excited to finally see them because "you'd never get tickets in Toronto for a place like this". So he knows my area pretty well and how to get into the city if he wants to explore. He is an explorer at heart and likes to venture off the beaten path to see things so I really don't think it will be an issue for him. His family is scattered between Montreal and New Brunswick so he never really sees them all that much anyway and his/our friends, well, that's only an 8 hour drive away to Toronto for us. :thumbs:

Reading this thread and the VJ boards in general I'm realizing how lucky we are that we never minded that 8 hour drive back and forth and that no matter what happens and who moves where, I think we will both be comfortable wherever we are as long as we have each other. Now if only we can get there... . :whistle:

Hey, we're close! I'm in Huntingdon Valley :)

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Well, I guess I am immature for missing my mother, my friends, and general familiarity and feeling like I did give it up.

I can't just go back home when I have the urge, it's a 10 hour trip. I gave up the ability to be able to just see my mother when I feel like it. I gave up seeing my friends on regular basis. I go back now and things aren't the same, I have missed out on a lot: weddings, funerals, baby showers. I would consider that giving it up.

You know I think a lot of people are seeing it as a negative thing, and that's fine. I don't always see it as a negative thing but just as a way of feeling. Everyone deals with this process differently and calling ones feelings "immature" just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't argue or state my opinion too much on public forums for this reason. Half the time I can't be bothered to argue with people, other times it's cause people read things totally the wrong way.

I don't consider the FEELING of missing home as immature, but when you verbally express "I'm giving up everything" to say how you feel(especially to your SO)....it's just not a good way to put it.

That's just my opinion. Back to people's stories......

Again, none of us are verbally expressing it to our SO's and even if some do, who is it for any of us to judge?

We're talking about how we feel, and people seem to be taking one thing that I originally said and acting like it's wrong, bad, immature.

It isn't. I feel the way I feel. Have you moved here yet? From the look of your timeline you haven't. So you can't really understand what some of us feel.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I LOVE the LCBO.

How cool! :thumbs: I used to work in Huntingdon Valley! Beautiful area. Now I work in Fort Washington.. :)

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Timeline

I LOVE the LCBO.

How cool! :thumbs: I used to work in Huntingdon Valley! Beautiful area. Now I work in Fort Washington.. :)

Oh nice! Yeah I love it here, it's a great neighborhood. It actually really reminds me of the town I lived in back home, Oakville ON so it makes me feel more at home :) and I like being a quick commute into the city as well!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

I just moved to the USA about a week and a half ago. I definitely had alot of time to prepare for the big move, but nothing could prepare me for the whirlwind of craziness due to my wedding October 10th. I don't think its really "hit" me yet that I am here for good, I keep saying it because there were so many visits in between the time I moved back to Canada after being in school in the USA. So far things are going great, I am still in the "honeymoon" phase. I have lived in the USA before, but this time its different, I am in a different state with different surroundings and don't have any of my college friends around. I hope to meet some of my fiance's friends this weekend, but I also would like to have my own friends as well, but that will take time. I also hope to meet a fellow VJ Canada member who moved to the area shortly before me. It will be nice to know there is another Canadian who understands, and also the military aspect too! :) I am going to have a hard time after the wedding and filing for AOS I think, it will be a huge change from being busy every day on the go to boredom and wanting an EAD. When I lived in the USA I never thought too much about what I could/could not get in the USA as far as food products..etc...now I am definitely thinking more about it and missing certain things that I really enjoyed :(

Oh and liquor! I have not been able to find Captain Morgan Dark Rum in the US so far! All I have seen is the Spiced rum! I have no idea why the US stores don't carry it! I find it very weird that you can buy liquor at Walmart....right next to the milk/pop. I guess it depends on the state, in ND there was a separarte "liquor" store at Walmart.

I think once I am settled I may be able to answer this question better...

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline
It's a good stress indicator too:

Relaxed: If she notices differences but doesn't comment on them.

(Give her a smile.)

Not Stressed: If she notes the differences and comments "That's interesting. In Canada we do/don't do xyz."

(Give her a kiss.)

A Little Stressed: If she notices differences and is grumpy about them.

(Give her a hug.)

Stressed: If she notices differences and says "Why are they doing it like that??" "What does that MEAN??"

(Give her a night out.)

Losing It: If she notices differences and shouts "OMG, I can't believe they do it this way!! #######??!!"

(Give her a return ticket to Canada to reset the stress level.)

:thumbs: THXS Krikit! I love your guide. It is now pasted on the front of my fridge to make life easier for my husband!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

I LOVE the LCBO.

Oh nice! Yeah I love it here, it's a great neighborhood. It actually really reminds me of the town I lived in back home, Oakville ON so it makes me feel more at home :) and I like being a quick commute into the city as well!

Many folks from my parents church live in Huntingdon Valley. I assume you've heard of Bryn Athen wthen? Theyr'e big church college is there.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
most every grocery store sells booze here...

Not in PA, that would be nice. I miss Quebec for that same reason

ok, I just assumed that every state was the same...

PA is unique from all the other states with their acutal 'Beer stores'. I hated that in Ontario, I'd have to drive to 2 different places to get ripped off. Here it's perfect, I walk any direction for about 5 mins and find a place that has everything I need.

Utah has some odd things too. I notice most gas stations have their beer in a separate cooler separated from the other drinks, unlike most other states that have it all together. They also have (or used to have) state run Liquor stores. They have some odd rules in Utah, though I noticed more Brew Pubs at the SLC airport then any other airport I've been too, which just made it funnier.

Each state has it's own rules...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.