trailmix

You moved to the U.S. to be with your SO

152 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Ack - they are remodelling our Giant Gorcey store and it pisses me off - i just finally knew where everything was - as misplaced as it was.....and not they're IMPROVING it?

I watched a number of people have meltdowns when they were moving stuff around at our local grocery store last month. :lol: There was one guy who was acting like I felt and ranting about having to go to another store just so he could find pickles. I told him they were now in the bread section. He looked at me like :blink: (I hear ya, buddy) and said thank you. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's hard because some days I sit here and go: "I gave up everything to come here"

Especially when I am having a bad day... I seem to dwell on it when I've had a bad day at work, or whatever. But I had bad days in Canada too. Bad days will never go away.

I find the people down here more outspoken. I am getting used to it, I am becoming way more outspoken myself. I used to try to sugar coat everything, be nice about everything, tip toe around the negative stuff. Now I just find myself blurting it out. Sure saves a lot of time in the long run actually.

I had a long visa process for many reasons, but one of the reasons being that I was extremely unsure about all of it and I procrastinated. I had three medical appointments that I made and cancelled. When the time came close I was absolutely terrified. Mike and I almost broke up over this, and it was the only time I actually told him I was finished. He took a plane up that weekend, we talked. I told him I couldn't bare to leave everyone behind. He promised me that we would return one day - and I trusted that. Now I am here and that 'one day' doesn't seem to be coming for many reasons. I used to allow that to upset me but lately I have been just telling myself to get over it. I came down here, it was my choice. It was no one elses choice. If it so happens that we never go back, again that's my choice because I can go back any day. If I really wanted to go back, I could. I could go back today and start a new life but I choose to stay here.

And I am okay with that... most of the time. :P

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah. That "I gave up everything" thought is hard to deal with sometimes. (F)

Word.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Yeah, I don't think my future in-laws understand the "I'm giving up everything" situation. They've even planned Christmas in a different state not even 2 weeks after I move. I have a feeling my first couple of months will be very hard :(

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I try not to say that sentence to Jared as much as possible. It's so hard but I try to bite my tongue. I'm getting better! haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I don't think I'll be able to use that "I gave up everything to be here" phrase.

I'm not really giving up anything at all.

I only have one friend here in Canada and she's so busy we rarely get to talk, I'm not close to my family, I have a job that pretty much anyone can walk into and take over, etc.

I'm looking forward to starting over.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. When I was a kid and a teenager and in my 20's I moved a lot for different reasons, different countries and no big deal, it was an adventure.

I think when you have fewer ties it has to be easier. When your parents are still young, your siblings are moving around - when you have been living with your parents in particular because it isn't you doing the grocery shopping or organizing a car or all those other things you have to do when you move. You just pack your suitcase and move :lol:

Of course that's not true of all people in their 20's, some put down roots earlier, or become independant earlier or have strong family ties/many friends. That's not me, I think because I moved around so much I would just leave friends and move along - because it's what I had always done.

Another reason I think we didn't really 'settle down' in Florida is that neither of us had any ties to the place, there was no feeling of 'home' at all. Aside from the frustrations of working with different entities (insurance, renting etc - and really we had an easy time of that) and the silly grocery stores - the fact that we had no ties made it seem silly to stay there, it really seemed more like a holiday than actually 'moving'.

So we talked about returning to Calgary off and on over a few months. Mike was leaning more towards staying in Florida, during those discussions. Now I didn't have my bags packed or anything, so that wasn't a big issue. He eventually changed his mind for 2 reasons, one, he realized that he wasn't going to get a better paying job in his field, because they don't exist there. Two, the whole health care issue and our overpriced insurance. For me, I realized one day that I didn't really feel comfortable there and I was thinking - why would you stay somewhere you don't feel comfortable?

That was it, we decided to take off. I felt bad about it off and on for a few weeks, then I got over it :lol: I felt bad not because the trip had been a waste of time or anything, but because I was warming up to the place a bit and there are many things to like about Florida!

I realize that many of you don't feel you have the option right now to just pack up the family and move back to Canada and that must be very hard and it's also very admirable of you - personally, I would just move back and have done that before. When I decide I am moving - get on the wagon because we are off!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think I'll be able to use that "I gave up everything to be here" phrase.

I'm not really giving up anything at all.

I only have one friend here in Canada and she's so busy we rarely get to talk, I'm not close to my family, I have a job that pretty much anyone can walk into and take over, etc.

I'm looking forward to starting over.

I'm in the same boat ... my friends all live in other cities/countries and I'm really looking forward to a fresh start. I'm sure I will miss my family but I'm not super close with them and only see them a few times a year as is. I've also lived away from them before and it was fine so I'm not too worried ... plus, both my fiance and myself have family up here in Canada so I know we'll be visiting! The only thing I am worried about is leaving my job -- I have a great job with the government that I'm sure I'll miss, but c'est la vie. I am thinking of going back to school after we move anyway, which will be another fresh start.

I'm lucky in that my favourite grocery store is Costco and there are a ton of those in the US :P

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Timeline

Thanks for this topic Trailmix. You gave my husband and I an interesting conversation. We had a discussion about things that affect how people deal with the move - SO, family, age, job, phase one is at in life, etc. As of Sunday, he has been here a month and loves it. Maybe it's because I'm such a great wife. :rofl: Just kiddin' of course. ;)

He does agree with some of the things Holliday said as far as the grocery store and also added that we have many more brands than what he had and he's looking forward to trying everything. Some of the shopping related things that he's found different also are not bringing bags/paying for bags and our credit card processing machines at checkout. He does miss Tim's too, but he's found he really likes Dunkin' Donuts.

As far as the area is concerned, he says it's not that different. He thinks our speed limits are strange as some roads are 35, some are 40, some are 45, etc. There were basically only two speeds in his area. He lived through two trips to the Social Security office and three trips to the BMV relatively unscathed. The only frustrating thing right now is lack of credit.

We had a great discussion on the phase of life someone is in making a difference. As others have said, there's a time in life where change is an adventure. Generally those are the younger years. But for my husband, who is 51, he looked forward to the change. He was tired of his job after 20+ years. That aspect couldn't have worked out better as he now has a different job with the same division, but works in my office (we're with the same company) and kept his years of service. As far as family goes, his daughters are in their 20s and don't need Dad like they used to, so that wasn't a problem. They also think it's awesome to go on a roadtrip for the weekend (we're only 5 hours away) to visit us and their step-brother who thinks they're cool (he's a 13-year-old boy and they're early 20s girls... need I say more? :lol: ) The rest of his family are scattered throughout Canada, so it wasn't like he left a core group that was close. All of his family and friends keep in touch almost daily via email and FB. In fact, I think he hears from them all more now than he did when he was in Canada.

I started thinking that I believe it's different for men than it is for women. I could be wrong about that and I'm going to generalize a lot here so bear with me. In general, women are closer with family, friends, etc. Obviously there are guys out there like that too, but you know what I mean. Women are generally more emotional also, particularly when talking about family and friends. So when I read what everyone has posted, it didn't surprise me to see that most people are women and were emotional about it. Hmmm... now that I read what I just wrote, I hope that didn't piss anyone off. I TOTALLY didn't mean it like that. I am NOT calling women emotional basketcases. Believe me, if I were the one that moved, I'd be on the phone to my mom every freakin' day. Also, if I were one of you that lived with your in-laws after moving, I would have shot myself. Kudos to you for making it! I guess I'm just saying that guys (in general again) tend to be a little more laid back, take things as they come, etc. I wonder if the simple difference in the sexes is why my husband loves it here.

Anyway, I've been rambling. He just wanted me to say that he loves it here and wouldn't change a thing. Granted, it's only been a month, so wait until he's lived with me a little longer. :P

Timeline

Sombercat: he likes Dunkin Donuts!? :o

hehehehe.

I agree with you about women being more close to family, emotional, etc. I think men, in general, don't keep as close contact with their families when they move out. My husband calls his Mom maybe once a week, if that, whereas even when I lived 10 mins away from my Mom, we chatted several times per day. My male cousins rarely call me aunt, she can go weeks on end without hearing from them. I think it's fair to say men may get less homesick then women do.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Interesting point you brought up Trailmix. I really think that moving here has been a lot easier for me because of my age. I'm in my early 20's, fresh out of university, no career or compelling ties to break, just me living life! Sure there are days when I use that, "I gave up everything!" line out of frustration and anger, but when I really think about it there wasn't much to give up. Maybe I did turn down a chance to get my MA, fully funded, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted to be here with my husband, so that's where I went. I guess I just have to remember that it was my choice, nobody else, like Sprailenes said... if we really wanted to go home anytime we could, but we don't.

As far as the grocery store goes, I don't make anything from scratch, or remotely close to scratch... So it only took about a week for me to learn where all the best frozen foods were in the store. Conveniently placed down 2 aisles! :P

Timeline
As far as the grocery store goes, I don't make anything from scratch, or remotely close to scratch... So it only took about a week for me to learn where all the best frozen foods were in the store. Conveniently placed down 2 aisles! :P

You must be in food paradise then - there is nothing that is not pre-made and frozen there :lol:

I've been here almost 4 months now, and I really haven't had a hard time at all. There are a lot of little differences. It sure doesn't feel like home, but I'm okay with that. I have work to keep me busy (I started a week after I arrived) so I know that has helped. I imagine if I was sitting around the house with nothing to do all day my mind could probably make up a million reasons why I miss Canada, so I'm lucky in that respect.

I'm very proud of my daughter and how she has been handling things. She talks to my parents almost every night on google chat and emails her friends back home regularly. She's had a couple of breakdowns about missing home and wanting to go back, but they have all occurred when she was already upset about something and/or tired. She's having a bit of a hard time making friends since she is in grade 6 at a middle school (grades 6, 7 & 8) and 80% of the kids are hispanic and speak spanish to eachother all day long. I think she feels like a bit of an outcast some days, but she's a strong, outgoing girl and I know she will be okay.

I wish I knew when I was going to feel comfortable here. Or IF I'm ever going to feel comfortable here. I guess 4 months isn't the magic number. AND I am getting married this weekend :dance: , so when the excitment fades and the reality sets in maybe it will feel more like home.

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Timeline
It's hard because some days I sit here and go: "I gave up everything to come here"

Steve's wife again:

Ah, but you know what, you'd likely feel the same way even if you had moved within Canada to be with your sweetie. BTDT, it's no easier . . .

I find the people down here more outspoken. I am getting used to it, I am becoming way more outspoken myself. I used to try to sugar coat everything, be nice about everything, tip toe around the negative stuff. Now I just find myself blurting it out. Sure saves a lot of time in the long run actually.

This is too, too funny. When we first moved to Canada (DH is the US citizen) he found everyone thought he was "too direct". Yes, people actually told him that he was too direct . . . He, however, thought everyone just took way too long to say anything. They'd beat around the bush and never get to the point!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.